Getting internet to a LAN by a phone (without a modem)

hirushaadi

I will be setting up a LAN after some time, i have it all setup, ex1.jpg.fd6f26a5855a5d01b570e1bd1ea9c8a7.thumb.jpg.cdd8bda5142ea3e4ec4c3febecdf58c7.jpg

the router mention here has a USB port in it, i was wondering weather i could connect my phone to the router directly via USB and get Internet working... (my internet speed is like 30Mbps, so USB is not a huge  problem for this project)

i cant get a cellular modem (as my monthly unlimited data package only works with my main sim (which sometimes i get calls too) and i cant always remove the sim and install the sim to the cellular modem every time i want internet to my LAN )

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You!

hey! i know to use a computer

1 minute ago, hirusha.adikari said:

he router mention here has a USB port in it, i was wondering weather i could connect my phone to the router directly via USB and get Internet working... (my internet speed is like 30Mbps, so USB is not a huge  problem for this project)

Normally you can't use the usb port for this.

I have done this in the past by turning the pone into a hotspot, and having a laptop/desktop turn that into a wired network connection for the rotuer.

2 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You!

Support for that use case will depend on the router. My Synology Rt2600AC will allow USB LTE devices. That being said, not all routers will support it. You will need to find one that does. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The USB port on the router is not intended for this and will not work for this. Services like SMB and FTP are intended to be ran on this. The router's processor wouldn't be powerful enough even if it was possible.

Clarification: your phone in tether mode to LTE is not the same as an LTE modem over USB.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have done this in the past by turning the pone into a hotspot, and having a laptop/desktop turn that into a wired network connection for the rotuer.

so you plugged the phone to the router (via usb) and connected the network cable (in my case, its CAT5e) to the computer, and you had internet working? will it work for me with my router?

2 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

so you plugged the phone to the router (via usb) and connected the network cable (in my case, its CAT5e) to the computer, and you had internet working? will it work for me with my router?

I plugged the phone into the computer, so it had internet from the phone. I then turned on network sharing on the laptop, and plugged its ethernet jack into the wan port on the router. It shoudl work with any router.

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Support for that use case will depend on the router. My Synology Rt2600AC will allow USB LTE devices. That being said, not all routers will support it. You will need to find one that does. 

is there any special name for it?

these are the specs of the router i have been thinking to buy...

this says the data rate is 867Mbps, and something i doesn't know about for interface (will i be able to use WAN ports in my LAN) - so wont that be a problem for getting 1gigabit transfer speeds to my storage pc?

here is the website for more info... : https://prolink2u.com/product/prc3801/

1764515427_2020-12-2222_59_40-PRC3801_PROLiNK.png.10f0c9270e1cb2e00b78eaadaf0041ee.png

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I plugged the phone into the computer, so it had internet from the phone. I then turned on network sharing on the laptop, and plugged its ethernet jack into the wan port on the router. It shoudl work with any router.

oh, Thank you! so a pc needs to be switched on in that case right?? btw, Thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

oh, Thank you! so a pc needs to be switched on in that case right?? btw, Thanks for the help!

yup, the pc always needs to be running for this to work.

2 hours ago, hirusha.adikari said:

is there any special name for it?

these are the specs of the router i have been thinking to buy...

this says the data rate is 867Mbps, and something i doesn't know about for interface (will i be able to use WAN ports in my LAN) - so wont that be a problem for getting 1gigabit transfer speeds to my storage pc?

here is the website for more info... : https://prolink2u.com/product/prc3801/

1764515427_2020-12-2222_59_40-PRC3801_PROLiNK.png.10f0c9270e1cb2e00b78eaadaf0041ee.png

The marketing for it will state it supports 4G or LTE. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The marketing for it will state it supports 4G or LTE. 

i found this on the website of the router (the official website) - is this what you said??

2020-12-23 08_41_01-Window.png

18 hours ago, HawkinEagul said:

Clarification: your phone in tether mode to LTE is not the same as an LTE modem over USB.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=RT2600ac&category=smartphone_tethering&p=1

My router can do LTE via Tethering of a phone. They actually have a list of phones they have tested it on.