FYI

Bombastinator

Browser, version and OS: iOS 14.2 firefox

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Nothing

What happened?

Either a cloudflare check that would run multiple times, or a server overloaded screen (pics below)

What did you expect to happen?

The site to load normall as it has for a long time now until the last day or two

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Main page

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

See below

Any other relevant details:

Not really

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

ID changed every few seconds.  Caught two of them in images.

398489C1-7B7D-4B7B-BF8E-09E7224AE40E.png

3E9EC217-A6CE-4D26-8082-8C734A4ADE5C.png

CA6525F0-A29E-44B7-80E9-C9FB32970AAC.png

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Forums have been getting DDOS'd most of the night. This is a mitigation tactic by Cloudflare and expected when server load is very high. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Can confirm it happened when i logged in on pc as well. havent tried mobile myself yet tho probably can close this thread though.

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Forums have been getting DDOS'd most of the night. This is a mitigation tactic by Cloudflare and expected when server load is very high. 

It's holiday time, people are using this website as a reference.

It's normal, just like back in black friday - cyber monday.

So high usage + daily bot ddos.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, Aereth Nvaren said:

are you using a vpn?

No.  I could though if it would help.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

No.  I could though if it would help.

that would cause more of an issue with cloudflare. Id recommend clearing your cache if it keeps doing it over the next few days. Should be resolved soon

15 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yay.  Some botnet criminal having a temper tantrum.  Fight the good fight I guess.  Props for keeping the site up under barrage i guess

Edited by Bombastinator

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yay.  Some botnet criminal having a temper tantrum.  Fight the good fight I guess.  Props for keeping the site up under barrage i guess

Botnet probably attacked random top 10.000 website in the world (which LTT are in).

Specifically target LTT is not reasonable, since there's little to gain here (just a forum).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I don't want to sound like a dick, but did you not see the two most recent posts in this topic? They are both about the same thing and both got a response from a mod confirming the forum was experiencing a DDoS attack. 

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I don't want to sound like a dick, but did you not see the two most recent posts in this topic? They are both about the same thing and both got a response from a mod confirming the forum was experiencing a DDoS attack. 

I don’t want to sound like an idiot, but I did not.  I was unaware till I saw those screens.  

Edited by Bombastinator

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

This is part of our efforts to mitigate a DDoS attack

It's quite persistent then as I'm still getting the errors mentioned by the OP hours ago. In addition, when I use the page back button in the browser I get an empty-ish page saying the data is no longer available and allowing me to refresh. That usually works, occasionally to be repeated multiple times. Still, the alternative is no LTT forum (which is the goal of that DDOS attack) so I'll live with it. :)

Many thanks to all admin staff (including the ISP!) keeping the site running!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Just now, Dutch_Master said:

It's quite persistent then as I'm still getting the errors mentioned by the OP hours ago. In addition, when I use the page back button in the browser I get an empty-ish page saying the data is no longer available and allowing me to refresh. That usually works, occasionally to be repeated multiple times. Still, the alternative is no LTT forum (which is the goal of that DDOS attack) so I'll live with it. :)

Many thanks to all admin staff (including the ISP!) keeping the site running!

You shouldn't be encountering any more issues, we've turned the aggressive DDoS mitigation mode off again. If you are still seeing the Cloudflare DDoS protection page, what's the Ray ID on there?

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you are still seeing the Cloudflare DDoS protection page, what's the Ray ID on there?

I hadn't noticed these, so unfortunately I can't tell. If I encounter any more I'll let you know, but as you've turned it off now I doubt I would see it again.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)