Cannot complete a Windows 10 installation on new machine - freezes consistently after 'Getting Ready'

LeadMagnet
Go to solution Solved by LeadMagnet,

Hi all -聽

Thought I'd report back in, both to close off the topic, but also add the solution should anyone else find them in a similar situation, because we are now up and running!

Off of the basis of several suggestions above - and thank you all for your help - I made a few small changes:

• Disabled the XMP profile on my RAM to bring the speed back down during installation. (馃憤 Kopesetic)
  • Memtest86's the RAM (came back fine) (馃憤StDragon)
  • Plugged in the network cable (I had previously been installing solely off of the USB key)

I made the above changes, restarted, and...聽it bloody well hung again. Same spot. No change.聽Except, as Radium_Angelpointed out to check, it wasn't actually hanging at this stage - the keyboard was still fully responsive, and there was occasional activity on the USB and HDD LEDs, even if the UI gave every indication that it had halted mid-process.

So this time, even though I had by this point already been staring at the stationary 'processing circle' for at least 20 minutes (and had previously let it run for 40 minutes with no signs of life) I simply left it overnight this time. I can't say how long it actually took, but when I came back to check on it this morning, it had unglued itself and had proceeded on to the following step. The rest of the install went off without a hitch, and I've spent the day putting the final touches of what is intended to be a Christmas present for my Dad - his new photoshop machine.聽

Basically, the underlying solution appeared to be for me to stop interfering and stay in my lane. This has in past proven to be an invaluable technique. Should have thought of it sooner.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions - they definitely got me on a different approach that led to the solution.

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight, as I've now spent most of the day banging my head against the wall trying to get a fresh Windows 10 installation to complete on this new build. The installation is consistently freezing at the same point at each attempt. Full details below. I should say, I also posted this across on Reddit on /buildapc聽but in hopes of getting as many potential solutions as possible, wanted to post here as well!

Parts List:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor -
Motherboard MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $125.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $117.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB D6 VENTUS XS OC Video Card $371.22 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case $88.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply -
Generated byPCPartPicker2020-12-20 18:27 EST-0500

Problem description:

• The physical build was completed without any noticeable issues. I posted successfully, and after flashing the BIOS to the latest (non-beta) release, started a Windows 10 installation off of a USB key created with Microsoft's tool
  • For what it's worth, I'm installing *without* entering a product key, as this is a build for someone else and they'll be purchasing their own license.
  • I have my M2 drive loaded into the M2_2 slot on the board. This is the drive I'm installing the OS on.
  • The initial installation steps run fine (Copying windows files / Getting files ready for installation / Installing features / Installing updates / Fishing up) as per this screenshot.
  • The system reboots, and there are further installation messages about installing devices, and finally, "Getting Ready".
  • The system reboots once again and shows the windows logo with the spinning wheel beneath it. This screen eventually freezes on this image聽- the wheel stops spinning - and installation does not proceed further. I left it for 10 minutes once, and 40 minutes a second time. Each time, I was still stuck here on checking again. (Apologies for potato-quality, taken with phone).

Things I've already tried:

• Flashed BIOS to latest non-beta version (7C95vA4)
  • Confirmed UEFI enabled, and CSM / Secure Boot / Fast Boot all disabled in BIOS
  • Ran a diagnostic on the M2 drive through a utility in the BIOS - came back fine
  • Removed the WiFi card I had installed in the PCI x1 slot in case it was somehow conflicting
  • Swapped out the video card for an old card from my previous machine which had no known issues (can't just test with onboard graphics as it's an AMD chip, so no support for it)
  • Reran installation with only one of two RAM sticks loaded, repeated to individually try with each stick
  • Tried reinstalling OS with a different USB key
  • Tried installing both Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro (64bit both times)

I hope there's some BIOS configuration setting I'm overlooking, or perhaps some quirk about installing to an M2 drive which I've never done before - for example, might having the M2_1 slot empty somehow cause an issue? I know the M2_2 slot is a slower PCIe 3.0 port but I chose that as the NVMe drive wouldn't make use of the PCIe 4.0 speeds so I left it bare.

It's just bizarre - I've now swapped out or manually tested as many of the components as I think I'm able, but I keep hitting back at this same frustrating freeze and can't get past it.

Any help / suggestions for other things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, LeadMagnet said:

the wheel stops spinning - and installation does not proceed further

When this occurs, does your keyboard still respond? Can you, for example, press the caps lock key and the light will go on/off?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.聽

Are you using the XMP profile on your RAM?聽 If so, try disabling it and run your RAM at 2133 and try again.

I ve had the same issue.

For me it failed to install for unknown reason, it created a small disk partition and failed to run the installation.

I deleted the partition, and then I installed normally. If you see 2 or more roms when you try to select the installation disk, delete them all until there is only one left

Validate the RAM with聽https://www.memtest86.com/. If no errors are detected, then proceed with installing Windows 10 but disconnected from the network. Should it install fine, then proceed to plug the cable back in and install the additional outstanding updates.

Make sure聽your m.2 has been formatted to a gpt partition. Or else windows could format it to an mbr聽partition by default resulting in your聽BIOS running in legacy mode in windows.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Try installing Windows on a SATA SSD or an HDD using the default options in your BIOS settings. Also re create your installation USB flash drive just in case something went wrong (I doubt it ... but you never know).

Hi all -聽

Thought I'd report back in, both to close off the topic, but also add the solution should anyone else find them in a similar situation, because we are now up and running!

Off of the basis of several suggestions above - and thank you all for your help - I made a few small changes:

• Disabled the XMP profile on my RAM to bring the speed back down during installation. (馃憤 Kopesetic)
  • Memtest86's the RAM (came back fine) (馃憤StDragon)
  • Plugged in the network cable (I had previously been installing solely off of the USB key)

I made the above changes, restarted, and...聽it bloody well hung again. Same spot. No change.聽Except, as Radium_Angelpointed out to check, it wasn't actually hanging at this stage - the keyboard was still fully responsive, and there was occasional activity on the USB and HDD LEDs, even if the UI gave every indication that it had halted mid-process.

So this time, even though I had by this point already been staring at the stationary 'processing circle' for at least 20 minutes (and had previously let it run for 40 minutes with no signs of life) I simply left it overnight this time. I can't say how long it actually took, but when I came back to check on it this morning, it had unglued itself and had proceeded on to the following step. The rest of the install went off without a hitch, and I've spent the day putting the final touches of what is intended to be a Christmas present for my Dad - his new photoshop machine.聽

Basically, the underlying solution appeared to be for me to stop interfering and stay in my lane. This has in past proven to be an invaluable technique. Should have thought of it sooner.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions - they definitely got me on a different approach that led to the solution.

Edited by LeadMagnet