Learning MacOS without a mac

Good Morning,

My company has purchased another company and they are currently MacOS users. AS I'm one of the lead Engineers I'm going to be responsible for the maintenance of thee devices. My issue is I have not touched a apple OS since an Apple II E. Please help me learn a new OS. Any way I can install this? Work would be willing to purchase me a Mac but i need to get a headstart on this to not look like a fool to the users.

Try using Virtual Machine and install macOS in there and learning that OS...

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

With macOS the best thing to do is actually use the OS. You can install macOS in a virtual machine, but that isn't a great way to really feel how the OS works as you'll be missing things like graphics acceleration (which is very important for macOS). If your company is willing to get you a Mac then definitely do that. Do you know how old the Macs are that you'll be supporting?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

27 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

With macOS the best thing to do is actually use the OS. You can install macOS in a virtual machine, but that isn't a great way to really feel how the OS works as you'll be missing things like graphics acceleration (which is very important for macOS). If your company is willing to get you a Mac then definitely do that. Do you know how old the Macs are that you'll be supporting?

The Oldest is 2-3 years old and the newest Is current Models (not using M1 Cpu's) 

1 minute ago, Majorpayne said:

The Oldest is 2-3 years old and the newest Is current Models (not using M1 Cpu's) 

Alright. If they aren't using M1 Macs (and I wouldn't have expected them to be anyways) then try to get yourself an Intel Mac. A Mac mini would be a good option. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

41 minutes ago, Majorpayne said:

Can you get your work to buy you a mac? I would expect them to get you systems to learn on.

1 hour ago, Majorpayne said:

I'm going to be responsible for the maintenance of thee devices.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll get used to it after the first run of maintenance. Might take a bit more time the first few times you deal with those systems, but your employer should understand that.

Maybe watch a bit of snazzy labs Mac Tipps or so there are some cool stuff which make you look like you know what you’re doing.

and clicking on things while holding “alt” does a lot of stuff in a lot of places

Look at this kind of videos,just so you have idea how they work.

I was interested in buying M1 macbook,went to the shop and didnt even know how to close the windows and files lol.

You can google the things that interest you,like idk how to delete the program,or how to setup some desired IDE or Framework or what ever,until you get the Mac.

This is cheaper way then just buying Mac,or like other have said ask company to buy one for you,or at least cover some of the expenses

• 2 weeks later...

So the best way would be to install it in a VM or on another device as a Hackintosh.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, jesus123 said:

Maybe watch a bit of snazzy labs Mac Tipps or so there are some cool stuff which make you look like you know what you’re doing.

and clicking on things while holding “alt” does a lot of stuff in a lot of places

I'd also recommend snazzy labs

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.