Laptop Dell g7 7790 Unexpected Shutdown During Bios Update

toemass

So,

After neglecting windows 10 updates for about 6 months I decided to get updates and do a restart. Unbeknownst to me, my laptop went through a bios update, and about 2 seconds in the update the screen went black, and words out of my mouth were just 'no'. Albeit the laptop wasn't plugged in, the battery was above 50%. The computer ceases to display any sign of power, other than the sound of spinning fans, then after a few seconds the laptop shuts off.

So I now have a paperweight gaming laptop. Also warranty expired 7 DAYS AGO. Woo. I'm contacting the warranty team to see what they can offer. In the meantime, are the any solutions I can do to fix a shutdown during bios update? 

Cheers.

If you can't replace the chip or flash it with an EEPROM programmer, it's fucked.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you can't replace the chip or flash it with an EEPROM programmer, it's fucked.

Well I'll sent it in for warranty then. Better them to open things up then me to save voiding warranty.

Update, so far Dell Technical Support has gone ahead with a motherboard replacement. From my knowledge, this will fix the bios issue, unless the bios is separate from the motherboard in laptops? I'm not too savvy with the technicals with laptops.

8 hours ago, toemass said:

Update, so far Dell Technical Support has gone ahead with a motherboard replacement. From my knowledge, this will fix the bios issue, unless the bios is separate from the motherboard in laptops? I'm not too savvy with the technicals with laptops.

That will fix the problem, BIOS chip is on the motherboard both in laptops and desktops.

try removing the battery, holding the power button for 10 seconds or more with no power attached, and then just run it off of the power supply. If not try a known good power supply if you can find one. Then consider selling it for parts or sending it in for repair.

3 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

try removing the battery, holding the power button for 10 seconds or more with no power attached, and then just run it off of the power supply. If not try a known good power supply if you can find one. Then consider selling it for parts or sending it in for repair.

Ya I tried removing the cmos battery and the laptop battery and completely drained the power, let it sit for a couple hours, held the power button stuff, still no post. But i didn't try just running it on the power supply with no plugged battery. I'll give that a go

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

A Dell technician popped in to do a motherboard replacement and the laptop is now running 100%. Even got a thermal repaste so I might see better thermal values. The technician said through his 4 years of being a technician, this is his 4th incident he's seen this happen to laptops. It's a very rare occurrence.