i5 9600k locks at .78Ghz for some games

Cereal

I recently built this computer a few months ago and things have been running great. I have:

msi 1650 Super

i5 9600k

16 gb g skill 3200

But as of late, I realized that some games started slowing down which was strange because everything I'd play would run fine. Things take forever to load in some games and I checked my info and the cpu clock speed went down to .78Ghz for some games. I tested with overwatch and my clock would go from 3.6ghz to the .78 and shoots back up when I close out of the game. I'd like to know what I can do to fix this. I realize that it could be thermal throttling but I've played games more intensive than overwatch and it would run better. I may pick up a new cpu cooler anyway and see if that works but I'd love some input.

Thanks for the help :)

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Which cooler?

I have a shadow darkflow. It's low profile and I thought that it may have thermal problems in the future but it's been pretty alright so far

800MHz (close enough to 0.78GHz) is the 'idle' speed for most intel processors i know of. this means either your game doesnt demand enough of the cpu to make it clock up, or your power options are set too restrictive and it's not allowing it to clock up.

past that, which software are you testing with? some (older) software tends to misreport like hell 😛

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

800MHz (close enough to 0.78GHz) is the 'idle' speed for most intel processors i know of. this means either your game doesnt demand enough of the cpu to make it clock up, or your power options are set too restrictive and it's not allowing it to clock up.

past that, which software are you testing with? some (older) software tends to misreport like hell 😛

I just tried again with Borderlands 3 which I know runs great on my pc but looking at the task manager, the clock speed went down and locked at .78Ghz again. MSI afterburner says usage is at 100% and the task manager says it's around 20% at the .78 lock

Also, you'd think that a game like cyberpunk would absolutely have the same issues. But the clock speed actually goes up to 4.2Ghz so it seems that it's random at what games suffer the clock issue

Check throttlestop (program).

it says what throttles you CPU, and can disable those at own risk, but just to monitor what throttles you its great.

but does sound like you have thermal issues. so check temps while it happens