Do I need both of these?

Joealex24

So we are connected to the internet through the genexis one (not sure of the model sorry) , then that plugs into the technicolor TG582N and then that plugs into our mesh system. The technicolor was provided by the ISP and the genexis was there when we moved in. Are they both the same thing and the technicolor could just be removed and the genexis plugged straight into the mesh system.

We should be getting up to 500mbps internet speeds and the technicolor only had a 100mbps switch so is limiting us.

I know the technicolor has WiFi connectivity and I'm not sure if the genexis does so maybe that is why the technicolor is used however we no longer need the WiFi connectivity from our internet gateway as we use the mesh system.

So my question is can I get rid of the technicolor and plug the genexis straight into the mesh system to fully utilize our up to 500 Mbps bandwidth?

16079522342764912916313223149148.jpg

16079522476945075022948903696050.jpg

Without knowing the model of the genexis, it's hard to say. It could just be a modem, in which case you need the TG582N as it performs vital functions such as routing and NAT. 

If it's a modem router combo unit, you could just ditch the TG582N. 

See if you can locate the model of the Genexis. If not, try plugging a few devices directly into the ports on the Genexis and see if they can all access the internet at the same time. If so, it's likely a router/modem combo unit and you can remove the TG582N.

If not, then your next option is to look at replacing the TG582N with a different router. There's plenty of offerings from the likes of Asus, Netgear, Ubiquiti etc. I'd advise logging into the TG582N and making a note of the WAN settings so you can match them on the router you replace it with. Depending on how it's configured (for example, using PPPoE), you may have a username and password with your ISP that you'd need to know and input to the new router. 

EDIT: Okay, looks like it one of the Genexis OCG models, which is a modem/media converter with no routing functions. You'll need to replace the TG582N with another router with Gigabit ports. As mentioned above, login to the TG582N and note the settings so you can configure the new router to match. 

13 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Without knowing the model of the genexis, it's hard to say. It could just be a modem, in which case you need the TG582N as it performs vital functions such as routing and NAT. 

If it's a modem router combo unit, you could just ditch the TG582N. 

See if you can locate the model of the Genexis. If not, try plugging a few devices directly into the ports on the Genexis and see if they can all access the internet at the same time. If so, it's likely a router/modem combo unit and you can remove the TG582N.

If not, then your next option is to look at replacing the TG582N with a different router. There's plenty of offerings from the likes of Asus, Netgear, Ubiquiti etc. I'd advise logging into the TG582N and making a note of the WAN settings so you can match them on the router you replace it with. Depending on how it's configured (for example, using PPPoE), you may have a username and password with your ISP that you'd need to know and input to the new router. 

Thanks for the reply :). I've logged onto the tg router before so I will have a look.

Would there be any issue with just trying plugging into the mesh system from the genexis and seeing if it worked? Would I have to configure anything?

4 minutes ago, Joealex24 said:

Thanks for the reply :). I've logged onto the tg router before so I will have a look.

Would there be any issue with just trying plugging into the mesh system from the genexis and seeing if it worked? Would I have to configure anything?

You can try, but you'll likely find that only one device will be able to access the internet at a time, if at all, due to the lack of NAT functions on the Genexis.