How to disable the Chipset Fan

adnank77

Hi .. 

Few days back .. an annoying noise started coming from my main rig .. after troubleshooting .. It's confirmed that the source is the chipset fan .. when it spins .. it is noisy as if something is broken there .. 

Motherboard is Asus Crosshair VII Formula (x570) 

Is there a way to disable this fan ? The Fan's connector is covered with the shroud .. and the fan curves in BIOS don't show the PCH Fan .. 

Any 3rd party tool or another way to disable it ? The PC is more than one year old so I guess warranty should be over by now 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

Are you positive it's not in the bios? Both my MSI and Gigabyte x570 boards have chipset fan curves in the bios. Worst case scenario you could remove the shroud and unplug the fan. Make sure you chipset isn't actually too hot before you do that though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.

2 minutes ago, atm0706 said:

Are you positive it's not in the bios? Both my MSI and Gigabyte x570 boards have chipset fan curves in the bios. Worst case scenario you could remove the shroud and unplug the fan. Make sure you chipset isn't actually too hot before you do that though.

I'm sure about the fan curve and surprised as well .. There is a curve for Chassis fan, CPU fan, AIO pump even .. but the PCH Fan (Chipset) isn't there .. 
If it's there I would've just disabled it .. 

Seems your suggestion is the only way to go .. I'll just disable it physically by removing the connector .. although it's a hassle .. 

But before doing that .. I'll check with my local Asus office if this board is still under warranty (Bought it 27-August-2019)

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

18 minutes ago, adnank77 said:

The PC is more than one year old so I guess warranty should be over by now 

6 minutes ago, adnank77 said:

'll check with my local Asus office if this board is still under warranty (Bought it 27-August-2019)

The motherboard comes with a 3 year warranty.