AMD 5600x High Temps?

I just built a new computer with an AMD 5600x, and right out of the box, it seems to be running hot. I am not exactly sure what the expected temps are though. my build is:

R5 5600x

Stock Wraith Cooler (Came with the CPU)

Asus Prime B550M-A wifi

MSI GTX 1660ti

16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 CL18

DarkFlash DLM22 Case

650W PSU from Silverstone

Samsung 500gb NVMe

I am pretty sure I installed the cooler correctly. I tightened each screw a little at a time so that the thermal paste applies evenly, although it shouldn't make much difference since it had the thermal paste pre applied. I am running with the default settings in Ryzen Master (I tried Auto OC and it immediately hit 95°C under load.) When running small FFTs on Prime95, my temps boot to 77-80°C (I am using CPUID HWMonitor, and verifying with AMD Ryzen Master), while running at just below base clock of at 3.6Ghz (According to Task Manager). When idling, my temps are around 58-60°C, but while maintaining ~4.3Ghz. Those temps seem to high for idle. Under load sounds like it is not too far off. 

I do also want to note that I have tried tests with and without the panels off. I have also has a fan blowing into the case too. Only drops temps by a degree or two. From what I have read, the idle temps should be around 45-50 degrees max. Am I wrong? I just want to make sure I fix the right thing, either replace cooler, or replace the thermal paste. I don't want to have my cpu throttling and leaving performance on the table. I also am concerned about the cpu running below base clock under load. That's not right. I am thinking it might be bad thermal paste, since my cooler does not feel super hot to the touch. I hope it isn't faulty TIM under the heat spreader, although that is VERY unlikely. Any Ideas on what is going on? Has anyone else had results like this? Is it normal?

prime95 is pretty awful for testing as its pretty much beyond worse case scenario. 

The cooler in the box basically allows you to run the CPU at spec temps. Id reccomend if you want quieter performance get a bigger and better cooler

Those do seem a little toasty. How many case fans do you have? I wonder if you have poor airflow. I looked up your case and it has a solid front panel with no intakes. 

I have a 3600, also 95W, and I don't see 70F unless I'm running a benchmark pegging all cores and threads at 100%. It Idles around 50-53C

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Let me add, I'm also running a stock AMD cooler, the Wraith Spire.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

If you have more paste, try remounting it. Idle should probably be in the 30-40c range. My 5900x idles at about 35ish with an aio. Load temps will be hot with these new zen 3 cpus, but prime95 is the worst case scenario for temps. see what you get in cinebench or while running a game.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.

2 minutes ago, atm0706 said:

If you have more paste, try remounting it. Idle should probably be in the 30-40c range. My 5900x idles at about 35ish with an aio. Load temps will be hot with these new zen 3 cpus, but prime95 is the worst case scenario for temps. see what you get in cinebench or while running a game.

Nothing with a stock cooler will idle at 30-40C. My R3 3100 doesn't even pull that off. You're using an AIO, totally different ballgame. With that your load temps are probably in the high 50's - low 60's

BTW, these chips can run totally OK up to about 90C. So despite your 5600 being a little warmer than my 3600, you're WELL WITHIN normal ranges and have no risk of damaging anything. 

Is PBO turned on? 

Yeah I guess you are right. Its been a while since Ive used a stock cooler. My R5 1400 idled around 40c with one though. Load tempos are really high with the 5000 series though. Most people seem to be up in the high 70s or 80s if using pbo or an overclock. My 5900x stock maxes at about 70c with a 240mm aio, but over 85c with maxed pbo settings.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.

18 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Is PBO turned on? 

PBO is set to auto, but I did try enabling "Asus Performance Enhancement" and a cinebench run put the cpu at 95C. But it did maintain a good 4.2Ghz. I think I may try to get some better thermal paste. I even had a fan blowing into the case...and it didnt help.

3 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

Nothing with a stock cooler will idle at 30-40C.

🤔

IMG_20190921_142615.jpg.98bcd66f7ab16856b40d494bb205e377.jpg

Btw that's stock cooler with a bit *lower* than default fan curve, but only a little bit... in a so called "bad airflow case" (but only because "reviewers were too unintelligent to use the case in its proper configuration, which mostly means no bottom intake fans" because that's were the psu should have been lul")  I believe people just generally screw around too much with the default settings because they "know better"... like I said I did lower the fan curve because at default it's really annoying but I did keep the characteristics, and I also didn't lower it *much*, helps of course that my "bad airflow case" not only has excellent airflow but also really good noise reduction by design. 🤷🏼

2 hours ago, CamThyMan said:

PBO is set to auto, but I did try enabling "Asus Performance Enhancement" and a cinebench run put the cpu at 95C. But it did maintain a good 4.2Ghz. I think I may try to get some better thermal paste. I even had a fan blowing into the case...and it didnt help.

Did you screw the 4 screws until it "clicked"? I think that's very important when mounting a Ryzen CPU cooler.

Also yes, better than stock thermal paste can lower temps about 5C in my experience, which can be quite significant under certain circumstances. 

That said I think it really shouldn't go 95C quickly, if anything it should take a while, when I'm doing prime 95 temps will be around "83C" for a while and then start rising *very slowly* takes at least around half an hour to get *anywhere* near 90C... (I think 86-88 was max) 

So yes I do think it's probably something with mounting pressure and it's probably best to replace the paste now and make sure to tighten the screws "properly". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Did you screw the 4 screws until it "clicked"? I think that's very important when mounting a Ryzen CPU cooler.

Also yes, better than stock thermal paste can lower temps about 5C in my experience, which can be quite significant under certain circumstances. 

That said I think it really shouldn't go 95C quickly, if anything it should take a while, when I'm doing prime 95 temps will be around "83C" for a while and then start rising *very slowly* takes at least around half an hour to get *anywhere* near 90C... (I think 86-88 was max) 

So yes I do think it's probably something with mounting pressure and it's probably best to replace the paste now and make sure to tighten the screws "properly". 

How tight should those screws be? I have tightened them as much as I can without stripping the heads of them. 

I think I am going to order some good thermal paste and try that. 

2 hours ago, CamThyMan said:

How tight should those screws be? I have tightened them as much as I can without stripping the heads of them. 

I think I am going to order some good thermal paste and try that. 

Yeah of course they shouldn't be "too tight"... I'm actually not 100% certain now but I do believe they actually "click" in place as soon they're tightened enough... maybe someone else could confirm this, or not...? 

However I've seen cases where the cooler simply wasn't mounted correctly, and therfore there was "some" contact but not enough... and simply reseting / repasting fixed it, so that's definitely worth a try!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I got some NT-H1 thermal paste and re-installed the CPU cooler. It idles around 64°C and still hits 95 under a stress test. Keep in mind I have "Asus Performance Enhancement" turned on in the BIOS (I think that is the ASUS version of PBO, since Ryzen master says it's on). But, I was able to hit 200-300+ fps on CS-GO at 1440p with everything maxed (except motion blur) and I sat around 77-80 degrees. So I think for everything except for video rendering, the cooler should be adequate. But, I will want to save some money for a tower air cooler, or an AIO. I think I'll want to get the AIO purely for the looks. But, I have time to save up for one. I guess the stock cooler is just bad. 

80F I wouldn't say is BAD, but it's adequate. If you were hitting 90, I'd say that's bad. 

I still stand by my earlier post, it's a little toasty, but you've still got a ways to go till you'd cause damage, or cause the CPU to drop it's clocks. 

If you were to get a tower cooler or AIO, you wouldn't gain any noticeable CPU performance, but your system would likely be noticeably quieter. I bet at 77C that heatsink is really loud

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Action_Johnson said:

80F I wouldn't say is BAD, but it's adequate. If you were hitting 90, I'd say that's bad. 

Celsius, not Fahrenheit. If you are getting 80 or 90F, then you are doing very good. Start worrying at 190F, for 5000 series.

Except the 5600x is rated for expected/normal operating temps up to 95C, or 200F, for you 'mericans.