Both my windows keys have stopped working! (on keyboard)

pipnina
Go to solution Solved by xyro27,

I've seen issues like this before, and if it's not something silly like the KB's windows lock being on, it's usually Windows (software) related. There are some things you can try at these sites if you feel up for it. Skip over the parts talking about Win Lock on gaming KBs.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/windows-key-not-working-already-tried-all-thing-on/0c796f79-0aa8-466e-ab44-802005d1791b#:~:text=for your keyboard.-,Right click on the Start Button and select “Run” or,File > run a new task.&text=If you have a USB,will reinstall the drivers automatically.

And this one, which I would start looking at beginning at "Method 2"

https://appuals.com/windows-button-or-key-not-working/

I bought a Varmilo VA88M a few months ago, with MX Brown keys. I've loved it, but yesterday I realised that neither of my windows keys were opening the start menu or working with Win+D to show desktop or move windows around etc. I thought it might be an issue with my OS needing a reboot and went from kubuntu 20.04 to my Win10 drive, and the same issue was present there! I am not sure how both have broken at the same time since I don't recall any particular abuse I have given them.

What can I try to diagnose this further? My last keyboard lasted me 20 odd years and was still going strong when I replaced it with this so this failure is really unexpected. I even just plugged in a different spare keyboard to check, and that one works so there must be something wrong in this VA88M of mine.

Thanks

@pipnina fixed your title I honestly thought you were talking about Windows Keys (Licensing) but you are talking about your Keyboard. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@pipnina fixed your title I honestly thought you were talking about Windows Keys (Licensing) but you are talking about your Keyboard. 

Oh, my bad!

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Are the switches hot swappable?
If they are, try removing and replacing them.

They might be, I got a key puller in the box but I don't know if that's just for the key caps. But then, how likely is it that both my windows keys would stop working at the same time? Maybe there's something wrong in the circuitry but I wouldn't know where to begin looking unfortunately.

They could be loose through some sort of weird engineering flaw where they get pushed upwards.

This is very scientific and I am not using my basic knowledge of force and torque to come up with that.

elephants

5 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Oh, my bad!

They might be, I got a key puller in the box but I don't know if that's just for the key caps. But then, how likely is it that both my windows keys would stop working at the same time? Maybe there's something wrong in the circuitry but I wouldn't know where to begin looking unfortunately.

Hot swappable as in Software/Firmware..

Example my Windows key is by selecting the SteelSeries Button and Pressing the Windows button.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I've seen issues like this before, and if it's not something silly like the KB's windows lock being on, it's usually Windows (software) related. There are some things you can try at these sites if you feel up for it. Skip over the parts talking about Win Lock on gaming KBs.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/windows-key-not-working-already-tried-all-thing-on/0c796f79-0aa8-466e-ab44-802005d1791b#:~:text=for your keyboard.-,Right click on the Start Button and select “Run” or,File > run a new task.&text=If you have a USB,will reinstall the drivers automatically.

And this one, which I would start looking at beginning at "Method 2"

https://appuals.com/windows-button-or-key-not-working/

Technology advances at such a smooth rate as to render us unaware of major leaps forward. It is only when we look back on our memories that we see the true majesty of the world we have created.

2 hours ago, xyro27 said:

This was the problem! I saw lock on the underside of my win keys but thought it was for a different purpose. Pressed Fn+LWin and it is working now!

Thanks muchly!