Davinci Resolve Core Loads

T0rchL1ght

Hi everyone, hope I'm doing this right. Having a problem on a rendering machine. Its a refurbished Dell T7910, specs:

Intel E5-2699 v4 x 2 (22 cores,44 threads each)

32gb Ram
Nvidia Quaddro M6000 12gb
Random SSD boot, and storage drives.

Timeline performance is quite bad, and Rendering performance abysmal. A file that took 8 mins on my Ryzen 3600 system would have taken 38 minutes on this machine.

Sure the Per core clock speed on the E5 isnt great, but the cine bench r23 score is 30,000, versus my ryzen sitting at 9000ish.

HWinfo is showing that the cores on the E5 are not being loaded at all, or at least, some of them are, and only a little. Task Manager is showing around 13% utilization. GPU similarly not utilized (although I'm not expecting it to be)

I have to be missing something here. help!!

22 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

Hi everyone, hope I'm doing this right. Having a problem on a rendering machine. Its a refurbished Dell T7910, specs:

Intel E5-2699 v4 x 2 (22 cores,44 threads each)

32gb Ram
Nvidia Quaddro M6000 12gb
Random SSD boot, and storage drives.

Timeline performance is quite bad, and Rendering performance abysmal. A file that took 8 mins on my Ryzen 3600 system would have taken 38 minutes on this machine.

Sure the Per core clock speed on the E5 isnt great, but the cine bench r23 score is 30,000, versus my ryzen sitting at 9000ish.

HWinfo is showing that the cores on the E5 are not being loaded at all, or at least, some of them are, and only a little. Task Manager is showing around 13% utilization. GPU similarly not utilized (although I'm not expecting it to be)

I have to be missing something here. help!!

Which version of Resolve are you using, and is it free or studio?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

22 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Which version of Resolve are you using, and is it free or studio?

sorry I had meant to type, I'm using the free one. I did try this same file on Premire.. same issue.

Likely these programs simply don't scale well to that many cores.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

sorry I had meant to type, I'm using the free one. I did try this same file on Premire.. same issue.

free version has limitations on cpu and gpu usage

another reason can be your storage cache drives setup.  my machine is set up this way

• dedicated SSD for windows and applications
  • 4x1TB nvme SSD in RAID 0 using Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe card for active projects
  • 1TB nvme SSD for cache
  • 2x10tb HDD in RAID 0 for temporary archive

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

10 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Likely these programs simply don't scale well to that many cores.

video editors such as Premiere and Resolve Studio version that is capable of utilizing multiple CPU cores and multiple GPU peak perform up to a X number of cores.

with Premiere, the optimum is between 8-12 cores for the CPU and also the clock speed.  premiere will likely perform better with a 8-core 4GHZ cpu than a 20 core 2ghz cpu.  you need to balance number of cores vs clock speed

then the setup of the storage drives is important too

Thank you for your reply. This sorta makes sense. So does that means that cinebench scores wont quite tell you how well something is going to render anyway?

And in that case as well, why would such a machine be built as a video rendering work station?

13 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

And in that case as well, why would such a machine be built as a video rendering work station?

Either because "it was cheap", the person deciding to use it didn't know what's appropriate for one if Resolve is all it will do, or there are other programs that machine will run that will benefit from it / the machine is meant to run multiple renders in parallel / ...

13 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

So does that means that cinebench scores wont quite tell you how well something is going to render anyway?

They will tell you how an app that scales well can perform, but the app you want to use has to scale well for it to be meaningful...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

Thank you for your reply. This sorta makes sense. So does that means that cinebench scores wont quite tell you how well something is going to render anyway?

yes, cinebench scores are not always reflective of real world performance

9 minutes ago, T0rchL1ght said:

because there are other software for video production and 3d rendering software that are designed and capable of using systems designed like this

if you want to build or buy a system for video production the best people to contact are the people at puget systems, they do tests and have written articles that explain the design of software such as premiere and resolve for cpu and gpu choices

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

15 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

yes, cinebench scores are not always reflective of real world performance

because there are other software for video production and 3d rendering software that are designed and capable of using systems designed like this

if you want to build or buy a system for video production the best people to contact are the people at puget systems, they do tests and have written articles that explain the design of software such as premiere and resolve for cpu and gpu choices

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Thanks for the help everyone!