LCD Monitor Burn In

Eat Soup

I have this ~15 year old LCD monitor that I use as a secondary display and I've noticed that it is perceptive to temporary burn ins (lasting 2 hours after turning the display off). This seems to only occur in a specific area of the monitor at the top left. Is there something wrong with the hardware or is there something in the monitor settings such as brightness or contrast that I can change to reduce the effects?

1451705327_20201208_2248091.thumb.jpg.7d7cb0dc140698c42b89b08141068c30.jpg

20 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Use a screensaver, turn down the backlight and brightness.

I cannot use a screensaver since I am constantly using chrome and the burn in still appears if I turn the display brightness down all the way.

If it's only in a specific area, and the rest of the display also has static elements, I would assume that it's a hardware issue. The brightness will not help the physical burn in since LCDs use a backlight, and the image-producing panel itself is always running at full power. I would assume this is due to the age revealing minor discrepancies when it was manufactured.

I wouldn't try any tricks like massaging the panel or running "pixel unstickers." Just know that LCD burn in should only be temporary unless the pixels permanently stick.

Technology advances at such a smooth rate as to render us unaware of major leaps forward. It is only when we look back on our memories that we see the true majesty of the world we have created.