can a 1080 ti or any 20 series bottle neck a r7 5800x

Duckeee
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
Just now, Duckeee said:

for the games i "still play"(fortnite - friends still think its good so its the only interaction with those friends) - which uses almost 99% of the cpu 

i need an upgrade from my r5 3600 to a better cpu and plus rtx does not give me less fps. 

the only time i might use rtx is in gta 5 or sea of thieves.

A 5600X or a 5800X would probably be best, paired with your 1080 Ti or an RTX 3070/3080 if you a. have the budget and b. can find one.

So I don't actually know any gpus that are compatible with and of the new ryzen 5000 series so just wondering what gpus beside the rtx 3000 and the rx 6000 series are - yes or no answers pls and if there are please state e.g. 1080 ti, rtx 2060 / s or 2070 / s etc.

~99% of PCIe graphics cards are compatible with Zen 3.

I don't know why there is this thing going around that "Zen 3 isn't compatible with all GPUs) but it's not true with a few exceptions.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

~99% of PCIe graphics cards are compatible with Zen 3.

I don't know why there is this thing going around that "Zen 3 isn't compatible with all GPUs) but it's not true with a few exceptions.

so ur saying I could be able to run a rtx 2060 or a 1080 ti with a r7 5800x with bottlenecking? and how much bottlenecking would there be?

Yes, you can run an RTX 2060 and a 1080 Ti on a 5800X.

The 2060 will bottleneck the 5800X more than the 1080 Ti, so it boils down to "Do you want raytracing?"

elephants

The 2060 will bottleneck the 5800X more than the 1080 Ti, so it boils down to "Do you want raytracing?"

obviously not. 

i have a gtx 1080 ti lying around somewhere but am currently using a rtx 2060 in my pc. 

But.... how much bottle necking will there be if i use the 2060 over the 1080 ti?

The 2060 is the slowest RTX 2000 card.

The 1080 Ti is the fastest GTX 1000 card, and is more powerful than the 2060 but lacks raytracing.

elephants

Bottlenecking will always happen

Regardless if you use the highest end components together or pair high with low end

But it just means your computer will run as fast as the slowest components, so if your slowest components is still fast, it'll be fast

As for compatibility, as long as it's pcie it should work, I've plugged in 2007 GPU in my 2016 computer and it works just fine, other than being slow

As for if older GPU will bottleneck the system, well it depends on what you're doing, and what games you play since different games have different load

4 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

i have a gtx 1080 ti lying around somewhere but am currently using a rtx 2060 in my pc. 

But.... how much bottle necking will there be if i use the 2060 over the 1080 ti?

For rasterization, 1080ti is better

But if you want ray tracing then you'll need 2060

But 2060 can't handle ray tracing well anyways

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Then the 1080 Ti.

I have to ask, though - why no raytracing?

for the games i "still play"(fortnite - friends still think its good so its the only interaction with those friends) - which uses almost 99% of the cpu 

i need an upgrade from my r5 3600 to a better cpu and plus rtx does not give me less fps. 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Bottlenecking will always happen

Regardless if you use the highest end components together or pair high with low end

But it just means your computer will run as fast as the slowest components, so if your slowest components is still fast, it'll be fast

As for compatibility, as long as it's pcie it should work, I've plugged in 2007 GPU in my 2016 computer and it works just fine, other than being slow

As for if older GPU will bottleneck the system, well it depends on what you're doing, and what games you play since different games have different load

For rasterization, 1080ti is better

But if you want ray tracing then you'll need 2060

But 2060 can't handle ray tracing well anyways

what gpus are old lol? just wondering.

Just now, Duckeee said:

A 5600X or a 5800X would probably be best, paired with your 1080 Ti or an RTX 3070/3080 if you a. have the budget and b. can find one.

elephants

Just now, Duckeee said:

Old?
I think my 2 GTX 650 Ti Boosts count as old.

My 3D Rage II +DVD PCI video card is definitely old.

My Trident TVGA something ISA video card is super duper old.

But if we're counting only PCIe video cards, then I think 700-series or older Nvidia counts.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

woops i pressed solution although u gave me one lol.

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

btw i do have the money for a rtx 3080 its just i can't find the one i want so probs gonna be late next year till i get one

4 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

Hmm... For tech, anything that's released five years ago would be considered old

But old doesn't mean it's bad, 1080ti is old doesn't mean it's bad, it's still decent in many games

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately