entry level DAC/AMP vs onboard audio

YSL_know_plug

Hey folks,

how much of an improvement can one expect when switching from onboard audio (entry level mobo) to an external AMP/DAC? What sort of speakers or headphones do you need to use the addition Bass and audio quality? I remember switching from my laptop to my Z97 onboard audio in early 2015 with my custom build even with cheap headphones audio quality improved drastically, but now that i am waiting for my z490 hardware to arrive, can i expect an audio improvement or well does an external dac/amp make sense in the entry level price range (e.g. fiiO e10k olympus 2)

what are your thoughts/experiences with this topic?

yours sincerely,

YSL

40 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

Hey folks,

how much of an improvement can one expect when switching from onboard audio (entry level mobo) to an external AMP/DAC? What sort of speakers or headphones do you need to use the addition Bass and audio quality? I remember switching from my laptop to my Z97 onboard audio in early 2015 with my custom build even with cheap headphones audio quality improved drastically, but now that i am waiting for my z490 hardware to arrive, can i expect an audio improvement or well does an external dac/amp make sense in the entry level price range (e.g. fiiO e10k olympus 2)

yours sincerely,

YSL

I would not get the Fiio E10K. What you should get is some cheap sound blaster DAC/amp such as the Sound Blaster G5 or G3. Much more value for the money. And yes. You will see an improvement. But strongly depends on which headphones you'd be using.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

I would not get the Fiio E10K. What you should get is some cheap sound blaster DAC/amp such as the Sound Blaster G5 or G3. Much more value for the money. And yes. You will see an improvement. But strongly depends on which headphones you'd be using.

sennheiser hd 598, but might getmore BASS focused headhpones down the road maybe

42 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

sennheiser hd 598, but might getmore BASS focused headhpones down the road maybe

Then the "cheap" Sound Blaster G3 will suit you.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

7 hours ago, YSL_know_plug said:

Hey folks,

yours sincerely,

YSL

Hard to say. Depends how low end the motherboard manufacture went with its audio components. 

I doubt you will have much difference between the motherboard and a low end DAC and AMP. 

Best answer would be is when you get the motherboard try it with the headphones if it sounds bad maybe look at getting extra equipment. Otherwise you risk wasting money on something which you didnt need.

For years I've been using the onboard audiochip of my motherboard because I only used earbuds. But it changed as soon as I moved on to headphones and they were not really loud, like the volume is too low despite the volume on max in Windows. Later I discovered it depends on the sensivity in dB. But anyway, I upgraded to Fiio E10K and it can provide enoug of juice to less efficient headphones but the sound wasn't really different, except the treble is more softer on the onboard audiochip. After having better headphones, I upgraded to Fiio K5 Pro and the difference is very noticeable, the sound is to nice and everything is clear. There is no reason for me anymore to "upgrade" to a better DAC/AMP. The biggest difference and first thing are the headphones and then the dac/amps.

So far these will suit you very well:

Fiio K3

Fiio K5 Pro

iFi ZEN Dac.

The last two costs about the same.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280