Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help choosing between 3 gaming laptops

Hi, I wanna buy a gaming laptop and I have 3 options which are very similar in hardware but 1 differs in it's original price vastly than the other 2. I don't know which brands are considered better or something like that, and I wanted to get your recommendations please.
The first one is Gigabyte Aorus 15G which goes 1500 after a supposedly huge discount off the alleged original 2200. This is the one with the far higher original price than the others.
The second is HP OMEN 17 (2020) which goes for 1450 and it's virtually identical to the Aorus except it has 17.3" screen and it's GPU is 2070 and not the 2070 max Q - I am unaware if that makes a big difference.
The third is MSI GL75 Leopard 10SFK-029 which is 1400 and is like the HP OMEN except it also has a 1 TB HDD.
So my questions in order of importance are:

  1. Which do you recommend?
  2. Do you have any idea why the Aorus, which has almost identical HW (slight tradeoff - better GPU, smaller screen) goes for such a higher original price?
  3. And also, do you think I should wait for the new laptops which will have the 30xx series GPUs? I don't know when those will appear and how much I should expect them to cost, but considering the 30xx sell cheaper, maybe it's worth waiting?

Bonus question - if you happen to be a programmer, would these laptops be suitable for that as well? Compile / build code fast ect...?

Thanks a lot!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just get an xmg core 15 amd version. It's 2060 is faster than basically all 2070's due to being allowed to run at a greater wattage compared to the 2070. That and it's ryzen cpu's are allowed to go so fast due to the good cooling you are literally getting the mobile ryzen cpu's to desktop level performance (so the 4800h is a 3700x without an issues basically). That and all the other advantages it has part from being faster and cheaper than any of the laptops listed above

 

Of the three above.

 

The gigabyte has cooling and quality issues

The hp is just not great and clunky

The msi has cooling issues

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, felisimo said:

 

Basically every gaming laptop sucks in one way or another.
 

The last one in that list is probably the best if you want a 17" laptop.

 

But there's a lot of Ryzen 7 4000 series laptops, and then you get an 8 core CPU.

 

Newegg only has them up to a 2060 though, but the mobile parts shouldn't be too far off in performance.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100157995 601346416 601328394

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, felisimo said:

And also, do you think I should wait for the new laptops which will have the 30xx series GPUs? I don't know when those will appear and how much I should expect them to cost, but considering the 30xx sell cheaper, maybe it's worth waiting?

with supply issues like they are, rather unlikely. Also the availability will be next to nothing if they do launch mobile 30xx, so probably not.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600 wip, 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) [3.7GHz@1.0125v(0.975v get) on air, nh-l9x65] | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000 cl15@3733 cl14|Zotac 2060 amp wip [1965mhz@900mv on air] | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would just get an xmg core 15 amd version. It's 2060 is faster than basically all 2070's due to being allowed to run at a greater wattage compared to the 2070. That and it's ryzen cpu's are allowed to go so fast due to the good cooling you are literally getting the mobile ryzen cpu's to desktop level performance (so the 4800h is a 3700x without an issues basically). That and all the other advantages it has part from being faster and cheaper than any of the laptops listed above

 

Of the three above.

 

The gigabyte has cooling and quality issues

The hp is just not great and clunky

The msi has cooling issues

First of all thanks for helping! What you said about the GPU kind of confused me - does that specific laptop (the xmg) allow it's 2060 to run at higher wattages while other laptops do not? 

Also, I am inexperienced with AMD's CPUS, so I don't know how does the 4800H compare to, for example. the intel i7-10750H which is the one these 3 have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Basically every gaming laptop sucks in one way or another.
 

The last one in that list is probably the best if you want a 17" laptop.

 

But there's a lot of Ryzen 7 4000 series laptops, and then you get an 8 core CPU.

 

Newegg only has them up to a 2060 though, but the mobile parts shouldn't be too far off in performance.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100157995 601346416 601328394

Thanks for helping!

Yes you're the 2nd person now to recommend an 8-core ryzen cpu. I just don't know how they compare to the i7-10750H for example? 

Do you have a ryzen laptop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, felisimo said:

Thanks for helping!

Yes you're the 2nd person now to recommend an 8-core ryzen cpu. I just don't know how they compare to the i7-10750H for example? 

Do you have a ryzen laptop?

 

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, felisimo said:

First of all thanks for helping! What you said about the GPU kind of confused me - does that specific laptop (the xmg) allow it's 2060 to run at higher wattages while other laptops do not? 

Also, I am inexperienced with AMD's CPUS, so I don't know how does the 4800H compare to, for example. the intel i7-10750H which is the one these 3 have?

The xmg has a refreshed 2060 that is allowed to run at 115w of total power

 

Well to put it simply the 2000 series are roughly based on the same design just one card has more cuda cores than the other. However the problem here is power as well they are essentially the same architecture so allowing a 2070 to only run at 95w means it has more cores running at a lower clock speed compared to the 2060 at 110w + refreshed faster memory means higher clocks on the 2060. All this together makes it a faster card funny enough.

 

Ryzen is simply put better in every way than it's similarly priced intel counterparts. The 4800h has 2 more cores and 4 more threads than the 10750h and has better single core performance. It is simply put the better cpu in every which way whilst also being cheaper. It even beats intels 8 core mobile offerings which needs massive cooling to even run well whilst the 4800h can perform like a desktop 3700x without any problems in a normal sized laptop. (did I mention this laptop is 2.6kg which is lighter than any of the others you listed).

 

Also the xmg comes with the bonus of being a configurable laptop, being really upgrade able and having a really really good color accurate screen too. Oh and the keyboard and trackpad are pretty great too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×