Arctic Liquid Freezer II rev3.0 - better AM4 mounting kit.

b1k3rdude

Morning

So just bought a ALFII 280 and thought it was a rev2.0 because the QR code on the box and on the card inside the box pointed me to the manual for the rev2.0. But I had 2 brackets that I didnt know what they were for. Then I found some info on hardforum. Turns out I had been shipped a rev 3.0 that has a much much better AM4 mounting kit - https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf2-240r3.

The upside form this is I think this might also allow the user to move the cpu block around so 'the center' is closer to the CCX chiplets (see De8auers custom AM4 bracket)

LF_240_14.gif

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

Yes, they are shipping with this now.  I received my 420 with these brackets.  However, on my X570 Aorus Master, using the offset mounting is not possible due to interference with top M.2 slot.

there is more space between the CPU amd M.2 sockets on the Meg Ace X570 which is why I went for it over the Aorus X570. but even with that extra space the bracket is touching the underside of the motherboard included m.2 heatsink. I would have to trim the ALF bracket ith a dremel to give proper clearance.

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, DeanAg05 said:

Yes, they are shipping with this now.  I received my 420 with these brackets.  However, on my X570 Aorus Master, using the offset mounting is not possible due to interference with top M.2 slot.

The offset mounting on my x570 Auros Master would mean the cooler was too low on the CPU, the normal AM4 mounting seems to align for me, unless I am doing something wrong?

On 12/4/2020 at 1:01 PM, b1k3rdude said:

Morning

So just bought a ALFII 280 and thought it was a rev2.0 because the QR code on the box and on the card inside the box pointed me to the manual for the rev2.0. But I had 2 brackets that I didnt know what they were for. Then I found some info on hardforum. Turns out I had been shipped a rev 3.0 that has a much much better AM4 mounting kit - https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf2-240r3.

The upside form this is I think this might also allow the user to move the cpu block around so 'the center' is closer to the CCX chiplets (see De8auers custom AM4 bracket)

LF_240_14.gif

Just wondering if you had this issue, I haven't installed it yet as I thought it was faulty. 

When I screw in the stand offs and the mounting brackets the backplate and the brackets are loose. I did some googling and found people who got new backplatrs with smaller standoffs from arctic.

I'm now wondering if I attach the block it will work due to the pressure of the block pulling the backplate tight. I'm contacted arctic but not expecting a quick response over the holidays. 

1 hour ago, Craggzoid said:

Just wondering if you had this issue, I haven't installed it yet as I thought it was faulty. 

When I screw in the stand offs and the mounting brackets the backplate and the brackets are loose. I did some googling and found people who got new backplatrs with smaller standoffs from arctic.

I'm now wondering if I attach the block it will work due to the pressure of the block pulling the backplate tight. I'm contacted arctic but not expecting a quick response over the holidays. 

At least on freezer 34 the back plate is loose until you install the cooler.

54 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

At least on freezer 34 the back plate is loose until you install the cooler.

This gives me hope will try fitting it again tonight and see how it goes. 

On 12/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Craggzoid said:

What was the question?

On 12/4/2020 at 10:48 PM, DeanAg05 said:

Same on my ASUS Strix X570-E, I have Rev3. I had to remove the M.2 SSD heatsink to even mount it. Also the mounting didn't give me that much confidence. In all honesty I liked old CoolerMaster Nepton XL mounting way more. Block mounted with spring loaded screws. Here, entire tension is done by bent brackets. Which tension weirdly and I wasn't sure if it's enough or not. On one side the bracket overlapped the lower bracket on the sides. Fans, while very quiet and visually well engineered feel cheap and transmit horrible vibrations to the radiator in really weird oscillating fashion which nearly drove me insane to a point I had to carve another radiator cover from sheet of plastic and mount 2x SilentWings 3 fans. Liquid Freezer 2 cools well, but it has a lot of pretty fatal flaws, starting with mounting. It cools well, but I'd by lying that I'm disappointed. My other option was EK's D-RGB 240 cooler...

17 hours ago, b1k3rdude said:

What was the question?

It's cool I fixed it. Turns out in Rev 3 the backplate will be loose before you attach the pump block over the CPU. 

2 hours ago, Craggzoid said:

It's cool I fixed it. Turns out in Rev 3 the backplate will be loose before you attach the pump block over the CPU. 

I have a MSI B550m Mortar WiFi with the 280mm revision 3 and I have the same problem. The standoffs don’t screw all the way into the backplate, making it loose. Also the mounting clips dont screw all the way into the standoffs unless I try to use a lot of force (I haven’t tried to because I’m scared I’ll break something). How did you mount it loosely? 

7 hours ago, Hello You said:

I have a MSI B550m Mortar WiFi with the 280mm revision 3 and I have the same problem. The standoffs don’t screw all the way into the backplate, making it loose. Also the mounting clips dont screw all the way into the standoffs unless I try to use a lot of force (I haven’t tried to because I’m scared I’ll break something). How did you mount it loosely? 

The backplate will be loose, and the stand offs don't screw flush. However when you put the pump block over the CPU and fasten it down it pulls everything tight. 

What you need to do. 

1) Find a way to push the backplate flush, you can use tape a spare hand, or of its already in your case stick something under it when you put the case on it side. 
2) Make sure the protective film is over the water block
3) Get someone to hold the radiator or loosely screw it in to your case

4) Fit the pump over the block, screw the thumb screws in so its tight

5) Stand your case up and see if there is any play or movement in the back plate

6) If that is all good then take the pump off, remove the film and stick mount it fully with the thermal paste.

I'd suggest mounting it in the case, as screwing down your motherboard once you have the cooler and radiator attached will be a fun game. Just make sure your power cables are plugged in before you mount anything. 

Looking at your motherboard, looks same as mine just shorter, so the above instructions should work. Let me know how you get on.