Concerning smell from PC

JackT22

So I recently moved all my parts to a new pc case, specifically the NZXT h510 elite. I’m new to building PCs and mostly used YouTube tutorials and some knowledge from friends to complete the build. 
One I booted the pc up and started playing some games, I noticed there was a faint smell of burning plastic. Using the NZXT software that comes with the case I can see that my cpu sits at 50-60 Celsius, where my GPU is between 60-70 Celsius. I don’t think my parts are overheating, but my PC did shut off in the middle of a game once and hasn’t happened again today, but the smell still persists. Another thing I noticed was that my cpu was “working” 100% where my GPU is only using minimum at 15-20%. I have a ryzen 5 1500x and a gtx 1060 6gb.

My overall question would be, where could this smell be coming from and why? And is my GPU and CPU experiencing any bottlenecking?

9 minutes ago, JackT22 said:

So I recently moved all my parts to a new pc case, specifically the NZXT h510 elite. I’m new to building PCs and mostly used YouTube tutorials and some knowledge from friends to complete the build. 
One I booted the pc up and started playing some games, I noticed there was a faint smell of burning plastic. Using the NZXT software that comes with the case I can see that my cpu sits at 50-60 Celsius, where my GPU is between 60-70 Celsius. I don’t think my parts are overheating, but my PC did shut off in the middle of a game once and hasn’t happened again today, but the smell still persists. Another thing I noticed was that my cpu was “working” 100% where my GPU is only using minimum at 15-20%. I have a ryzen 5 1500x and a gtx 1060 6gb.

My overall question would be, where could this smell be coming from and why? And is my GPU and CPU experiencing any bottlenecking?

Could also be power cables from your PSU. I would open it up and do a visual inspection for any melted wires, connectors, etc. Might even be the PSU itself if it's a poorly designed or constructed unit. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just sniff it and see which part farted. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Could also be power cables from your PSU. I would open it up and do a visual inspection for any melted wires, connectors, etc. Might even be the PSU itself if it's a poorly designed or constructed unit. 

Okay I’ll check for that when I get back from work. I know when I was doing my cable management I did store some of the cords next to the battery. I also was thinking that it could just be the fans getting used for the first time, as all four are new.

10 minutes ago, Duckster said:

Are the temps for a cpu and gpu under load or idle?

I was playing call of duty and those are them temps that they were at. I’d say the GPU sat at 69 Celsius while I played and the cpu at 56.

6 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Just sniff it and see which part farted. 🤷‍♂️

😂 I tried that, but seems like everything smells the same.