HELP! PC freezes during game.

DaniExQw
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
7 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

didnt expect such a quick reply, ty. could i just run at 75% fan speed to keep it under 80c? and whats the max temp it can run at?

You can do that if you want with the fan speed. The max temp for the GTX 760 is 97 C. 

6 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

i did try and put it at 90c temp limit in afterburner but then the temps go above 85, 86c and im worried

That will most likely happen as by default, the power limit and temp limit are linked together, so you would have to unlink it. The link is right here as an example for my RTX 2080. 

image.png

Hi, i have a pretty old pc but its enough for my needs. while im playing a game like csgo, valorant, fortnite. it runs decent ,120-150 fps but at random times in the game it freezes for about 2 to 4 seconds and i get a buzzing sound in my Headset. sometimes it starts to work again as normal after the 2 to 4 seconds but sometimes it crashes my whole pc. it used to work fine with no freezes it just recently started to freeze and its getting worse and more frequently , can somebody help me? i dont plan on buying a new pc since im a broke student. the spec are a xeon x5670, 18gb ram...

Firstly, don't SPAM forum posts asking for help...

Have you tried reinstalling your graphics drivers after using DDU to see if the issue goes away? What are your CPU/GPU utilizations like and temperatures? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

sorry, just desperate. no, i have not tried reinstalling gpu driver. while in game my cpu stay at around 55,60 c and my gpu at like 81 c 

cpu usage around 40, 50 % and gpu usage at like 70, 80%. it started a month ago . and its getting more frequent my fps goes down from 200 to like 2, 3 fps and my screen freezes for around 4, 5 seconds it used to freeze for like 1, 2 seconds now its worse. it doesent freeze all the time but like every 10, 15 minutes while in game

15 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

sorry, just desperate. no, i have not tried reinstalling gpu driver. while in game my cpu stay at around 55,60 c and my gpu at like 81 c 

cpu usage around 40, 50 % and gpu usage at like 70, 80%. it started a month ago . and its getting more frequent my fps goes down from 200 to like 2, 3 fps and my screen freezes for around 4, 5 seconds it used to freeze for like 1, 2 seconds now its worse. it doesent freeze all the time but like every 10, 15 minutes while in game

No worries, just quote me so I see that you replied back to my comment. What speed is your RAM running at? Have you tried reseating the memory sticks themselves? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

No worries, just quote me so I see that you replied back to my comment. What speed is your RAM running at? Have you tried reseating the memory sticks themselves? 

ok, so ram is running at 1333 mhz and i have tested it with memtest. i didnt see any problems. i havent tried reseating since im scared i might brake something 

2 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

ok, so ram is running at 1333 mhz and i have tested it with memtest. i didnt see any problems. i havent tried reseating since im scared i might brake something 

No, you'll be fine you won't break anything. The motherboard will flex when pushing on both ends of the RAM stick into the slot which is perfectly normal as motherboards are made of rigid fiberglass with insulation between the different layers of the motherboard. So we know the memory is checked out to be ok. Are they in dual channel mode those RAM sticks and in the correct order? 18GB is an odd number and are usually in pairs of 2^x power (2^1 = 2, 2^2 = 4, 2^3 = 8, 2^4 = 16 etc.) 

No, you'll be fine you won't break anything. The motherboard will flex when pushing on both ends of the RAM stick into the slot which is perfectly normal as motherboards are made of rigid fiberglass with insulation between the different layers of the motherboard. So we know the memory is checked out to be ok. Are they in dual channel mode those RAM sticks and in the correct order? 18GB is an odd number and are usually in pairs of 2^x power (2^1 = 2, 2^2 = 4, 2^3 = 8, 2^4 = 16 etc.) 

pretty sure they are. 6 slots out of 6 are being used.

excuse my english, im from germany. 

its a office pc prebuilt. its a hp z400 v2

pretty sure they are. 6 slots out of 6 are being used.

excuse my english, im from germany. 

1 minute ago, DaniExQw said:

its a office pc prebuilt. its a hp z400 v2

No worries, are you sure the X5670 is supported in that motherboard? According to HP Support information, it only supports 

• Intel Xeon W3503
  • Intel Xeon W3505
  • Intel Xeon W3520
  • Intel Xeon W3540
  • Intel Xeon W3570
image.png.4f6ad0b0c0073db63dade4a96f45c739.png

Yup, there is 2 versions of this prebuild ver 1 who only supports what u linked . and ver which supports x5670, x5650, x5680 , w3680, w3690. etc.. ive been gaming with this cpu for a year now.

No worries, are you sure the X5670 is supported in that motherboard? According to HP Support information, it only supports 

• Intel Xeon W3503
  • Intel Xeon W3505
  • Intel Xeon W3520
  • Intel Xeon W3540
  • Intel Xeon W3570
image.png.4f6ad0b0c0073db63dade4a96f45c739.png

2 hours ago, DaniExQw said:

Yup, there is 2 versions of this prebuild ver 1 who only supports what u linked . and ver which supports x5670, x5650, x5680 , w3680, w3690. etc.. ive been gaming with this cpu for a year now.

Ah ok that would make more sense, dumb on HPs part for not making another support document for v2. Have you tried to see and compare your current setup with the memory modules in this PDF? (Note is does list that memory cannot be mixed.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Z400 Gen1 vs. Gen2 rev2.pdf

Ah ok that would make more sense, dumb on HPs part for not making another support document for v2. Have you tried to see and compare your current setup with the memory modules in this PDF? (Note is does list that memory cannot be mixed.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Z400 Gen1 vs. Gen2 rev2.pdf

i have compared everything, ive been trying to fix this for days, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Just now, DaniExQw said:

i have compared everything, ive been trying to fix this for days, thanks for taking the time to help me.

No worries, if you are getting stuttering, this is most likely an issue related to RAM and load. DDUing the graphics drivers can help alleviate the problem if it turns out to be that is the issue here. 

No worries, if you are getting stuttering, this is most likely an issue related to RAM and load. DDUing the graphics drivers can help alleviate the problem if it turns out to be that is the issue here. 

thats the annonying part, its not stuttering at all, its buttery smooth. it just freezes for like 4, 5 seconds every 10, 15 minutes. no stutters.

thats the annonying part, its not stuttering at all, its buttery smooth. it just freezes for like 4, 5 seconds every 10, 15 minutes. no stutters.

For the bandwidth of the PCIe slot your graphics card is in, is it at the max x16 lanes? 

For the bandwidth of the PCIe slot your graphics card is in, is it at the max x16 lanes? 

how can i tell? 

1 minute ago, DaniExQw said:

how can i tell? 

Use a program called GPU-Z or in your BIOS settings, you should be able to see the bus interface of the current speeds. Note if you use GPU-Z, you have to put a load on the graphics card (a game or GPU intensive program) to see the maximum bus it goes as it usually automatically adjusts according to load. 

Use a program called GPU-Z or in your BIOS settings, you should be able to see the bus interface of the current speeds. Note if you use GPU-Z, you have to put a load on the graphics card (a game or GPU intensive program) to see the maximum bus it goes as it usually automatically adjusts according to load. 

i will check and get back to you.

pcie x16 2.0 @x16 2.0 thats what it says in gpu z

Just now, DaniExQw said:

pcie x16 2.0 @x16 2.0 thats what it says in gpu z

Ok that's normal then and not bottlenecking... Are you using a lot of VRAM in games (Try turning down the settings and playing games to see if the issue goes away)? 

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/12/01/hum.png

Ok that's normal then and not bottlenecking... Are you using a lot of VRAM in games (Try turning down the settings and playing games to see if the issue goes away)? 

im running at competitive settings which is all low settings. i mostly play fortnite which is cpu intensive.

Just now, DaniExQw said:

Are you using a lot of VRAM overall while playing games? 

Are you using a lot of VRAM overall while playing games? 

its not exceeding 2gb vram it mostly stays under 1.5gb

edit: il check again really quick. im not sure