HELP! PC freezes during game.

DaniExQw
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
7 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

didnt expect such a quick reply, ty. could i just run at 75% fan speed to keep it under 80c? and whats the max temp it can run at?

You can do that if you want with the fan speed. The max temp for the GTX 760 is 97 C. 

6 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

i did try and put it at 90c temp limit in afterburner but then the temps go above 85, 86c and im worried

That will most likely happen as by default, the power limit and temp limit are linked together, so you would have to unlink it. The link is right here as an example for my RTX 2080. 

image.png

1 minute ago, DaniExQw said:

its not exceeding 2gb vram it mostly stays under 1.5gb

edit: il check again really quick. im not sure

Ok, its kinda on the bounds of hitting the limit and it can cause issues when it bumps up against the 2GB total. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok, its kinda on the bounds of hitting the limit and it can cause issues when it bumps up against the 2GB total. 

ok, i checked again it doesent go up past 1.5, 1.6

and i have 2 monitors could that be the problem=?

ok, i checked again it doesent go up past 1.5, 1.6

and i have 2 monitors could that be the problem=?

They can...Are you running games in fullscreen and not windowed/borderless? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

yep , fullscreen. and while im playing i have nothing on my 2nd monitor. i have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz one,.

ive taken alot of ur time and i really appreciate u still trying to help me

Just now, DaniExQw said:

yep , fullscreen. and while im playing i have nothing on my 2nd monitor. i have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz one,.

Ok, yeah that shouldn't be the issue then if nothing is on the other screen. Have you been taking care of maintenance on the PC? AKA dusting out the system/fans/ tried applying new thermal paste on the GPU since its older (GPU temp is fine but can help if not done recently).

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok, yeah that shouldn't be the issue then if nothing is on the other screen. Have you been taking care of maintenance on the PC? AKA dusting out the system/fans/ tried applying new thermal paste on the GPU since its older (GPU temp is fine but can help if not done recently).

i have replaced the cpu thermal paste. not the gpu since i dont know how to open and do it . i havent really dusted that much just a little bit . 

2 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

i have replaced the cpu thermal paste. not the gpu since i dont know how to open and do it . i havent really dusted that much just a little bit . 

For the GPU, that shouldn't be hard to do (Trust me, my first time doing it on my graphics card I was afraid). Try googling/youtube videos of the make and model of your GPU to see if there is any disassembly videos. You usually remove the screws going around edge of the PCB on the back of the card and the 4 main screws holding the pressure retention plate for the cooler on the GPU die. 

NOTE: Have some thermal pads on the side in case they rip when you remove the cooler, or try not to remove the cooler quickly/nudge it along the way. 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

For the GPU, that shouldn't be hard to do (Trust me, my first time doing it on my graphics card I was afraid). Try googling/youtube videos of the make and model of your GPU to see if there is any disassembly videos. You usually remove the screws going around edge of the PCB on the back of the card and the 4 main screws holding the pressure retention plate for the cooler on the GPU die. 

okay, il do that and get back to you in few hours. wish me luck :D

Just now, DaniExQw said:

okay, il do that and get back to you in few hours. wish me luck :D

Good luck!! 

On 12/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Good luck!! 

aight so i think i figured it out why it freezes. my temp limit on my gpu is set to 80 and while playing it goes over that. to like 81-85c could that be the problem? 

3 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

aight so i think i figured it out why it freezes. my temp limit on my gpu is set to 80 and while playing it goes over that. to like 81-85c could that be the problem? 

It can be, have you tried using MSI Afterburner to adjust the temp limit above 80C? It can be thermal throttling after 80C, causing the stuttering/freezing. 

It can be, have you tried using MSI Afterburner to adjust the temp limit above 80C? It can be thermal throttling after 80C, causing the stuttering/freezing. 

didnt expect such a quick reply, ty. could i just run at 75% fan speed to keep it under 80c? and whats the max temp it can run at?

i did try and put it at 90c temp limit in afterburner but then the temps go above 85, 86c and im worried

7 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

You can do that if you want with the fan speed. The max temp for the GTX 760 is 97 C. 

6 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

That will most likely happen as by default, the power limit and temp limit are linked together, so you would have to unlink it. The link is right here as an example for my RTX 2080. 

image.png

image.png

Thanks ! il go and play a game to test it for a bout an hour or so. il be back !

image.png

that just fixed it ! TYSM. i put the fanspeed at 60 % and temp limit at 90.

could i lower the power limit for better temps??

that just fixed it ! TYSM. i put the fanspeed at 60 % and temp limit at 90.

could i lower the power limit for better temps??

You can if you want, just know that it may decrease performance as you are now restricting the amount of power sent to the GPU. 

You can if you want, just know that it may decrease performance as you are now restricting the amount of power sent to the GPU. 

ok, ty for your help ! 

Just now, DaniExQw said:

ok, ty for your help ! 

Anytime!!!