RX6800XT - how many displays can it support?

volrath

Hey guys, so, I have been trying to research how many displays the new cards from AMD support. At the moment I am running a 1080ti that only supports 4 displays, ideally I would like a card that can support 5 or even 6 outputs, I have never had anything from the red team so am wondering how they handle multi monitor support. With Nvidia it sees monitors that are in surround as seperate displays, so there is a hard limit of 4 displays connected at one time, even when using a splitter, does AMD do the same? This is what I would like to do:

One output driving triples via a splitter (these would be in surround/AMD equivalent), VR, Super ultrawide.

For context I have a triple screen/VR sim racing rig as well as a super ultrawide monitor, my current setup looks like this:
Connected to 1080ti:
1x super ultrawide (5120x1440 unless in PBP mode)
3x triples in surround (7680 x 1440, 7720 when bezel corrected)

Connected to my motherboard:
The other super ultrawide output for Picture by Picture use.
My TV

The TV and other super ultrawide display aren't used for gaming, they only handle browsing and media output, so it's fine that they run on the mobo. My problem right now is if I want to do anything in VR I have to disconnect the super ultrawide from GPU and connect my VR headset, this is fine as a work around, but Ideally I would like a more permanent solution any advise on how to achieve this is much appreciated! 

AMD 6800XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, Corsair H100i, ROG Strix X570-ENZXT s340 Elite

6 minutes ago, volrath said:

Hey guys, so, I have been trying to research how many displays the new cards from AMD support. At the moment I am running a 1080ti that only supports 4 displays, ideally I would like a card that can support 5 or even 6 outputs, I have never had anything from the red team so am wondering how they handle multi monitor support. With Nvidia it sees monitors that are in surround as seperate displays, so there is a hard limit of 4 displays connected at one time, even when using a splitter, does AMD do the same? This is what I would like to do:

I believe 6 displays can be used at a time with displayport on a 5700XT, but idk about hdmi.

The TV and other super ultrawide display aren't used for gaming, they only handle browsing and media output, so it's fine that they run on the mobo. My problem right now is if I want to do anything in VR I have to disconnect the super ultrawide from GPU and connect my VR headset, this is fine as a work around, but Ideally I would like a more permanent solution any advise on how to achieve this is much appreciated! 

Buy a cheap HDMI switch and change the input as needed like on a TV. I believe all displays attached will count as a single monitor to the PC as only one is in use at any time.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

10 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

I believe 6 displays can be used at a time with displayport on a 5700XT, but idk about hdmi.

If that is the case for the new generation that *should* work... DP for Index, USB-C/DP for triples, HDMI/DP for super ultrawide, its whether they all play nicely together that's the true challenge lol!

2 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Buy a cheap HDMI switch and change the input as needed like on a TV.

I did try that (I used a DP version) and it didn't work at all for my needs... Index wouldn't work through it (it has to be connected directly to GPU apparently), and when I tried surround it would be forgotten when it was switched to the other chanel, so it ended up being more hassle than it was worth!

AMD 6800XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, Corsair H100i, ROG Strix X570-ENZXT s340 Elite

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in a solution for this, but even more overkill. At this point I would be lucky to get my hands on one graphics card, let alone two. I need to run 7 monitors, 6 are 1080p at 60 Hz, and one is the side panel on the Snowblind S case (1280x1024, not sure of the refresh). I am hoping to do this with one card and an MST hub or two. I know NVIDIA is limited to 4 monitors per card, but AMD doesn't specify. Would this be possible? I saw a post on reddit that claimed that it should be, but no definite answer.