RTX 2070 Super 1 fan at 4600rpm

user1337

I just bought second hand rtx 2070 Super FE and in MSI Afterburner its saying that both fans are at 41%. I checked GPU-Z and fan 2 is running at 4600rpm (and still showing 41% fan speed). The card is very loud. The seller said to me that i can return it and get my money back. Is there any chance of fixing the card or should i just return it?

unknown.png

Can you override the fan control settings with MSI Afterburner to your own fan curve? Can you test the graphics card in another system or a friends rig to see if the issue is still there? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

20 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Can you override the fan control settings with MSI Afterburner to your own fan curve? Can you test the graphics card in another system or a friends rig to see if the issue is still there? 

I tried to make my own fan curve. That didn't work. I tested in on my other machine - same issues.

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Do you think flashing the bios might help? If yes where can i get the bios from (i already tried techpowerup)

58 minutes ago, user1337 said:

I tried to make my own fan curve. That didn't work. I tested in on my other machine - same issues.

Just now, user1337 said:

Do you think flashing the bios might help? If yes where can i get the bios from (i already tried techpowerup)

Sorry for getting back to you late, was eating dinner lol.

If the custom fan curve didn't work and on a different system as well, you can try to flash the BIOS (I was going to say that about techpowerup for the BIOS). What is the exact model of the 2070 Super FE you have? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem, but my card is brand new from Best Buy in June 2020. Fan 2 started going crazy at 4600rpm around the same time as yours. My Bios version is 90.04.76.00.0A. I noticed that it needs tight voltage from the PCI-E slot, or heated up to 50C to quiet the fan down.  There is a correlation in GPU-Z with the MVDDQ power consumption spike and the fan going crazy.  I am waiting on a new motherboard (new build) and I am going to try to to see if it fixes the problem.

134133479_10107519807901571_372481854638217432_n.jpg

On 1/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, HeyItsMoo said:

I am having the exact same problem, but my card is brand new from Best Buy in June 2020. Fan 2 started going crazy at 4600rpm around the same time as yours. My Bios version is 90.04.76.00.0A. I noticed that it needs tight voltage from the PCI-E slot, or heated up to 50C to quiet the fan down.  There is a correlation in GPU-Z with the MVDDQ power consumption spike and the fan going crazy.  I am waiting on a new motherboard (new build) and I am going to try to to see if it fixes the problem.

134133479_10107519807901571_372481854638217432_n.jpg

I returned mine & you should too!