43' 4K TV vs 32' 4K Monitor?

paulyron

Hey all. I like if anyone can give me input on this as I will have to order it by tonight because of cybermonday.  I mentioned how i have two 24' l920 x l200 monitors that i use side by side with my dell xps l5 9550 laptop.  I play online poker on it so thats why I need at least that resolution.  And I read a 4k monitor or tv would allow for even more space to put more tables on it.

I wind it down to two options.  My 2 options are

Samsung 43' 4k TV

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B08FBSZ2LX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AVDBXBAVVSXLQ&psc=1

Samsung 32' 4k Monitor

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07G8TLL7Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AVDBXBAVVSXLQ&psc=1#customerReviews

Would i need to worry about other issues with a TV such as input lag, mouse movement and also sitting really close to the TV though?  On the poker forums, most still recommend a monitor over a TV... because well a TV is suppose to be for TV use.

Right now I either am getting a 43' 4k tv... or a 32' 4k monitor... price is roughly the same.  Now if i get a 43' 4k tv, i think i would only use the tv and not use my 24' monitor because i dont have enough space on my desk for it.  Well I think i could put it all the way at the corner and it's back would be on the side wall since i don't have much space on desk.  My desk is basically 4 feet wide total only. I put my current 2 monitors on it and my laptop etc.

Now if i get a 32' 4k monitor, well i would be also using one of my 24' monitors along side it.

Also I thought this. With using a 43' 4k tv... when i do things like web browsing and everything else... isn't it going to look weird though and not comfortable as oppose to a monitor?  I feel like it wouldn't look as good as a monitor.  Also would looking at the text be an issue?  Obviously a monitor is meant for looking and reading text.

Do you get eye strain when using a big tv as a monitor?  I also sit pretty close to my two 24' monitors. Im less than 2 feet from it.  So with a 43' TV, I think i would be sitting at around 2.5 feet to at most 3 feet from it.  So would using it be a bit awkward?

Right now im kinda leaning toward just getting a 32' 4k monitor and using it with one of my 24' 1920x1200 monitors. Do you agree/disagree with this?

I will say... if i could get two 32' 4k monitors and use them side by side, that would be probably the ideal situation. But I also don't want to spend that much money on it. 

43 inch is huge for a monitor, i say 32 because you'll get a better pixel density.

Eyestrain don't have any correlation with how big the screen is.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I wouldn't worry about the input lag at all. Most TVs now a days have a "gaming" mode that you can turn on so it will reduce the input lag to be more like a monitor. Also your playing poker I wouldn't consider that game to have a high frame rate and low latency a requirement like I would if you are playing a first person shooter online.

As for the screen size it really comes down to personal preference. I have a few friends who love having a 43" TV as their monitor. They will usually use programs like Display Fusion to split the screen into quadrants kind of making the TV more of like 4 21.5" 1080p monitors in a 2X2 grid. (at least in productivity workloads) gaming is in full screen. But I have other friends who get overwhelmed with such a big screen and prefer a dual monitor setup. I have even had a few friends get overwhelmed with a 27" and had to go back to a 24" lol. Me personally I think I could get use to a 43" monitor but I am currently used to multiple smaller monitors instead of 1 big monitor. 

With what your describing with poker a TV might be the best as I would imagine your going to be hyper focused on one table (Small section of the screen) at a time for short period of time then move to the next table. Your not going to be looking/focusing on the entire display at once like you would with with say a movie or first person shooter. (never played online poker so I could be totally wrong here)

But again it all comes down to personal preference. Also if your looking towards the future with a possible secondary monitor as a possibility a 32" might be better just because 2 43" TVs will probably be overwhelming lol but I can't say I have experience on this :) it could be amazing or horrible. 

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

43 inch is huge for a monitor, i say 32 because you'll get a better pixel density.

Eyestrain don't have any correlation with how big the screen is.

Hey.  Yea i know that size is big for monitor.  But i could put a ton of full size tables on it .. which is why i thought about that.  Also... if i had more desk space, i would put one of my monitors i have on it.  I think i could still do it but it would be like having it put right in the back of my side wall.  So imagine i have big tv on  my desk staring at it... but the other monitor is on the right side with the back against the right wall so i have to turn right to look at it... and it would be a very awkward positiion .

1 hour ago, Catsrules said:

I wouldn't worry about the input lag at all. Most TVs now a days have a "gaming" mode that you can turn on so it will reduce the input lag to be more like a monitor. Also your playing poker I wouldn't consider that game to have a high frame rate and low latency a requirement like I would if you are playing a first person shooter online.

As for the screen size it really comes down to personal preference. I have a few friends who love having a 43" TV as their monitor. They will usually use programs like Display Fusion to split the screen into quadrants kind of making the TV more of like 4 21.5" 1080p monitors in a 2X2 grid. (at least in productivity workloads) gaming is in full screen. But I have other friends who get overwhelmed with such a big screen and prefer a dual monitor setup. I have even had a few friends get overwhelmed with a 27" and had to go back to a 24" lol. Me personally I think I could get use to a 43" monitor but I am currently used to multiple smaller monitors instead of 1 big monitor. 

With what your describing with poker a TV might be the best as I would imagine your going to be hyper focused on one table (Small section of the screen) at a time for short period of time then move to the next table. Your not going to be looking/focusing on the entire display at once like you would with with say a movie or first person shooter. (never played online poker so I could be totally wrong here)

But again it all comes down to personal preference. Also if your looking towards the future with a possible secondary monitor as a possibility a 32" might be better just because 2 43" TVs will probably be overwhelming lol but I can't say I have experience on this :) it could be amazing or horrible. 

Hey.  Well any samsung would not have those input lag right?  So don't take a chance with a cheaper brand like say hisense or those cheaper name ones right?

Well if the mouse lags etc... that would be a huge issue for me.

I get what you mean with splitting it to quadrants.  That sounds nice... never done it before.  How many smaller monitors do you have and what resolution are they?

For me, i think the best setup would be having two 32' 4K monitors... because that way... i could put i believe 8 full size tables on each monitor so that would be good enough.  But also, it would be like a monitor and not tv and don't have to worry about eye strain or anything else.  But i dont want to spend that much money on it.

The other thing is this.  Since i already have two monitors... if i get this  32' 4K, and put it in the middle of my two monitors... i could get a three monitor setup right?  But i would need to buy a docking station?  Would my graphic card need to support it?  Its a dell xps l5 9550.  The thing is i actually have another 24' monitor but it stopped working a while back.  I recently put the nonworking monitor right in the middle of my two monitors and it looks like a nice setup... that way i could get 4 tables each so l2 total.  But the monitor no longer works.  But it looks much more comfortable though would you agree?  But i have to put the laptop on another table though.  Like imagine three monitor setup.  Now if i had say  3 monitors of 4k 27', i know i could put 6 full size tables so l8 total which would be more than enough.  But of course that would be a lot of money.

Thing is i might have space for this but i have to put my laptop on another small table.  Right now i have laptop and the two monitors on my 4 foot desk.  I can't put a 6 feet table because i dont have enough space in my apartment.

Another negative thing i thought was this.  Since its a big tv, im going to have to look higher than usual.  I checked a 4K 43' TV and when i estimated the height of it, it seem to be around l8 inches?  Is that about right?  So wouldn't it be annoying having to look up so much?  Im guessing if its 50' inch then yea?

So you still recommend the 4K 43' TV vs the 32' 4K monitor?  Because with the 32' 4K monitor, i will for sure use it with one of my 24' monitor.  Its just that with the TV... i feel like it would be weirding using it when not playing poker when web browsing and things like that.  Like for example, many times when i play music on youtube, i have the youtube on my laptop screen.  Then i use my two monitors with web browsing etc.  

I'm guessing if i could use both the 4K 43' TV and one of my  24' monitors, that would be ideal?  Since i have multiple monitors that way?  I might be able to do this on my table but i would have it put in a very bad viewing angle.

But if you had a two monitor setup, you would choose 32' 4K and the 24'  compared to the 4K 43' TV and 24' monitor?

Need to decide by tonight because of cybermonday.  

For some reason, i think think the 32' 4K is a better option... because its actually a monitor.  I think i could put 8 tables on it which is okay and pair it with my other monitor.  

Thoughts on all this?

On 11/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, paulyron said:

Hey.  Well any samsung would not have those input lag right?  So don't take a chance with a cheaper brand like say hisense or those cheaper name ones right?

Well if the mouse lags etc... that would be a huge issue for me.

I have seen cheaper brands also have less input lag. It really just depends on the TV not necessarily the brand. Most TV will have some option to disable any "video enhancements" that is what increases the input lag. Ironically the input lag is more of a feature as they try and process the video to make it look nicer for movies and TV Shows.

I always loot at https://www.rtings.com/tv they have great reviews and test the input lag.

I get what you mean with splitting it to quadrants.  That sounds nice... never done it before.  How many smaller monitors do you have and what resolution are they?

I have 4 27" 1440p monitors. 3 are in normal landscape and one is in rotated 90 degrees in to portrait. Some day I might try out ultra wide screens or maybe 1 or two large screens. But for now I am happy with my 4 27" monitors. Although it is a lot of cables to route and organize. 

The other thing is this.  Since i already have two monitors... if i get this  32' 4K, and put it in the middle of my two monitors... i could get a three monitor setup right?  But i would need to buy a docking station?  Would my graphic card need to support it?  Its a dell xps l5 9550.  The thing is i actually have another 24' monitor but it stopped working a while back.  I recently put the nonworking monitor right in the middle of my two monitors and it looks like a nice setup... that way i could get 4 tables each so l2 total.  But the monitor no longer works.  But it looks much more comfortable though would you agree?  But i have to put the laptop on another table though.  Like imagine three monitor setup.  Now if i had say  3 monitors of 4k 27', i know i could put 6 full size tables so l8 total which would be more than enough.  But of course that would be a lot of money.

Yeah 3 should be fine, you would need a thunderbolt 3 dock as you only have the 1 HDMI port.

Thing is i might have space for this but i have to put my laptop on another small table.  Right now i have laptop and the two monitors on my 4 foot desk.  I can't put a 6 feet table because i dont have enough space in my apartment.

This may still not work in your use case but you might want to take a look at monitor mounts, they clamp on to your desk and you mount the monitors to them. They save you so much desk space because you can put stuff underneath them. Still don't help much for very tall thing like Laptop screens and water bottles but might be something to look at if your running out of room.

Another negative thing i thought was this.  Since its a big tv, im going to have to look higher than usual.  I checked a 4K 43' TV and when i estimated the height of it, it seem to be around l8 inches?  Is that about right?  So wouldn't it be annoying having to look up so much?  Im guessing if its 50' inch then yea?

It depends what your comfortable with. Most people I know with TVs as monitors put the TV as low as it will go to the desk. You want your eyes to be in the middle of the screen. 43" TV is going to be about 21" from screen bottom to screen top. a 32" monitor will be about 15.7" from screen bottom to screen top. (Note this is not counting bezels or stand of the monitors just the screen itself)

So you still recommend the 4K 43' TV vs the 32' 4K monitor?  Because with the 32' 4K monitor, i will for sure use it with one of my 24' monitor.  Its just that with the TV... i feel like it would be weirding using it when not playing poker when web browsing and things like that.  Like for example, many times when i play music on youtube, i have the youtube on my laptop screen.  Then i use my two monitors with web browsing etc.  

I was recommending the TV just because of poker, I think the TV is better at multitasking with one screen. Because your focusing on only small portions of the screen at a time, not the entire screen. I personally would want the small portions of the screen to be bigger. Like you said you have 8 tables on one screen. Guessing in a grid of 2x4. On the 43" TV each table will be 10.5" tall by 9.35" wide on a 32" monitor each table would be 7.85" tall by 6.95 wide. But I would recommend the 32" monitor for basically anything else. I think 43" is just two big for 1 single task. Unless that task is watching a video and maybe playing games if you sit back.

As for pairing with other monitors that is a tough one. Just on the screen size I would say 32" with the 24" however based on the pixels per inch a 43" 4K screen would actually pair better with the 24" 1080P screen. I think the 43" 4k is around 100 ppi and the 24" 1080p ppi is around 90. The 32" 4k ppi is around 140   If you think about it a 43" 4K is really just   If your thinking about keeping the other monitors then I would say 32" as I think it would pair better with the 24" .

So if you think about it that way whatever you see on your 24" now (as in size of text how clear everything is) is about what you will see on the TV. Just imagine 3 more 24" screens next to your current monitor in a 2x2 grid.

If your just looking for the right answer then get the 32". That is the safest option. It will be much better then what you have now bigger screen much better resolution and we know it will have zero lag issue and work just fine. If you want to go more risky route in exchange for bigger text on a bigger screen then go for the TV.

4 hours ago, Catsrules said:

I have seen cheaper brands also have less input lag. It really just depends on the TV not necessarily the brand. Most TV will have some option to disable any "video enhancements" that is what increases the input lag. Ironically the input lag is more of a feature as they try and process the video to make it look nicer for movies and TV Shows.

I always loot at https://www.rtings.com/tv they have great reviews and test the input lag.

I have 4 27" 1440p monitors. 3 are in normal landscape and one is in rotated 90 degrees in to portrait. Some day I might try out ultra wide screens or maybe 1 or two large screens. But for now I am happy with my 4 27" monitors. Although it is a lot of cables to route and organize. 

Yeah 3 should be fine, you would need a thunderbolt 3 dock as you only have the 1 HDMI port.

This may still not work in your use case but you might want to take a look at monitor mounts, they clamp on to your desk and you mount the monitors to them. They save you so much desk space because you can put stuff underneath them. Still don't help much for very tall thing like Laptop screens and water bottles but might be something to look at if your running out of room.

It depends what your comfortable with. Most people I know with TVs as monitors put the TV as low as it will go to the desk. You want your eyes to be in the middle of the screen. 43" TV is going to be about 21" from screen bottom to screen top. a 32" monitor will be about 15.7" from screen bottom to screen top. (Note this is not counting bezels or stand of the monitors just the screen itself)

I was recommending the TV just because of poker, I think the TV is better at multitasking with one screen. Because your focusing on only small portions of the screen at a time, not the entire screen. I personally would want the small portions of the screen to be bigger. Like you said you have 8 tables on one screen. Guessing in a grid of 2x4. On the 43" TV each table will be 10.5" tall by 9.35" wide on a 32" monitor each table would be 7.85" tall by 6.95 wide. But I would recommend the 32" monitor for basically anything else. I think 43" is just two big for 1 single task. Unless that task is watching a video and maybe playing games if you sit back.

As for pairing with other monitors that is a tough one. Just on the screen size I would say 32" with the 24" however based on the pixels per inch a 43" 4K screen would actually pair better with the 24" 1080P screen. I think the 43" 4k is around 100 ppi and the 24" 1080p ppi is around 90. The 32" 4k ppi is around 140   If you think about it a 43" 4K is really just   If your thinking about keeping the other monitors then I would say 32" as I think it would pair better with the 24" .

So if you think about it that way whatever you see on your 24" now (as in size of text how clear everything is) is about what you will see on the TV. Just imagine 3 more 24" screens next to your current monitor in a 2x2 grid.

If your just looking for the right answer then get the 32". That is the safest option. It will be much better then what you have now bigger screen much better resolution and we know it will have zero lag issue and work just fine. If you want to go more risky route in exchange for bigger text on a bigger screen then go for the TV.

Hey man.  First off, you say you want your eyes to be in the middle of the screen.  Is that with TV's only or with monitors as well?  I read with monitors... you want your eye level to be at the top part of the monitor... But with a big screen TV as a monitor, your eye level should be at the middle of the screen... is that correct?

Well at the moment, i have two monitors and i basically have to look left and right... i have my two monitors together like a reverse letter V.... does that make sense.  So looking left and then right isn't that big of an issue.

Well if I didn't play poker online, i wouldn't consider a TV for it at all.  And yea a  32" monitor would seem the best when doing anything else.  

Would you recommend this TV?  The one i posted above no longer is available.  This seems to be same but different model.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Samsung-Class-TU7000-UN43TU7000FXZX-Crystal/dp/B085B7X2Z9/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=samsung+tv&qid=1606882279&sr=8-2

I see a few cheaper options.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Hisense-43R6000GM-Serie-Smart-Search/dp/B08C6Z1J9R/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=O0RSFM2KDHJZ&dchild=1&keywords=4k+tv+43&qid=1606882357&sprefix=4K+tv+%2Caps%2C456&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com.mx/TV-Hisense-Roku-LED-R6000GM/dp/B083SCFFMH/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=O0RSFM2KDHJZ&dchild=1&keywords=4k+tv+43&qid=1606882357&sprefix=4K+tv+%2Caps%2C456&sr=8-6

The monitor I posted earlier, price went up a bit.  

The thing is with the 32" monitor, I probably could put 8 tables full size where im comfortable with it.  Someone mentioned you could put 12 easily but im sure that size is too small for my liking though.  But not sure because well its 4K.  So its like i would have 8 tables of it... and 4 tables of big size tables.  Or if i get the TV, i know for sure i can put 12  full size tables... then maybe i might be able to use one of my current monitors on the side for another 4 tables.  Thoughts on that?

So with the TV... is it better to pay more for samsung?  You do same a lesser name brand might have less input lag... so now im not sure which TV to get.  

Whatever you choose, don't base any decision you make on "input lag" or "response time".

You will not be able to tell with your usage case. We're not talking high-tier, competitive FPS here.

There's no camera movement, there's no crosshair, and nothing you do is split-second.

The things that will matter to YOU are pixel density, screen size, and display mounting options, since it sounds like you have limited space and may want the change how everything's lined up at some point. You should buy solely based on these things.

Personally would go max 32" for a monitor (I have one now), especially of it's a flat one and not a curved one.

Tho it does depend on distance from it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Well would you recommend the TV here or the x 32" monitor then?

If i get a big tv... i will either use it by itself... or try to pair it with one of my current monitors though im not sure i have space on my four foot wide two foot long desk for that... it would be in the corner in the edges.

If i get the 32" monitor, then i would be using it with one of my current monitors.  But also... couldn't i use all three monitors... where this monitor i put in middle and my other two monitors i put it diagonally to the left and right of the new monitor?  But i read i need to buy a docking station to have three external monitors right?  Though i won't do that now... would the monitor just be better because no eye strain etc?  Again i use my monitors at least half the entire day staring at it with no eye strain at all.  But im concerned a TV might be different and cause damage to eyes.  When i was young, i use to watch tv so close to it... eventually i wore glasses because of it.  But i heard tv's nowadays dont have those issues right?

I would be probably two to at most two and a half feet from the screen.

Hey all.  So what do others here say?  Do you agree avoid the TV?

Does anyone here get eyestrain or anying like that with a tv?  I always thought sitting close to a tv is bad for your eyes.  But this isn't true?

I would be staring at screen for at least half a day minimum.  

Another question I have is this.  Is there a big difference between a 27 inch 4k monitor vs a  32 4k monitor? 

Assuming its the same price, you for sure go with the bigger on right?  But if there is a small price difference, which would you go with?

And do people here who use a big TV as a monitor... do you enjoy it?  Again for some reason, i feel like if im not playing poker... when i do anything else... web browsing, youtube etc... it would look extremely awkward etc.  Do you feel this way?  Also... is it bad for your eyes?  I always thought sitting close to a tv is bad for your eyes.  But i also heard that was back then... so looking at TVs now and monitors is the same thing?  I always thought like the texture of the TV panel was different than a monitor where you not suppose to be close to a TV...