Is waiting for the 5800x overkill for my rig

Justin43

Hi,

Ive got a Ryzen 7 5800x on order, although I have no idea when this will ever arrive!
This was to replace a Ryzen 3 3200g in an x570 motherboard with 32gb of RAM. I have an RTX 2080 (non super) as the main GPU. The monitor is a 1440p with refresh rate up to 144hz. Mostly a gaming rig.

Im obviously hoping to upgrade my struggling 4 core zen+ soon. However  I’m wondering if I’m I just don’t need to get bogged down in all the new cpu hype and just cancel it and spend the money on a 3900xt which I can get for similar price.

I can also get a 3800xt for a little over £300. Realistically, with the GPU being good but not cutting edge nowadays  will I notice much difference. I’m not a massive frame counter, just want my games to look good and play smoothly.

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

many thanks 

for gaming, the 5600x is the way to go and will outperform the 3800xt or 3900x in gaming. 

9 minutes ago, Justin43 said:

Hi,

Ive got a Ryzen 7 5800x on order, although I have no idea when this will ever arrive!
This was to replace a Ryzen 3 3200g in an x570 motherboard with 32gb of RAM. I have an RTX 2080 (non super) as the main GPU. The monitor is a 1440p with refresh rate up to 144hz. Mostly a gaming rig.

Im obviously hoping to upgrade my struggling 4 core zen+ soon. However  I’m wondering if I’m I just don’t need to get bogged down in all the new cpu hype and just cancel it and spend the money on a 3900xt which I can get for similar price.

I can also get a 3800xt for a little over £300. Realistically, with the GPU being good but not cutting edge nowadays  will I notice much difference. I’m not a massive frame counter, just want my games to look good and play smoothly.

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

many thanks 

its the best option. stay with 5800x he will serve you well. the 8 cores will secure future proof for 2 years+

Yeah, suppose maybe I just need to be patient 😂. If I cancel the 5800 I lose my place in the queue and will just join another queue for the 5600.
I guess I was maybe thinking that I wouldn’t notice much between Zen 2 and 3 with my graphics card, but the Zen 3 will future proof me a bit more if I upgrade the GPU next year.

5600x is just as good.

you won't feel 2 cores difference in games.

don't loose the queue again!

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

imo i'd wait for the 5800x.

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium