nvme read speed not exceeding 200MB/s - is it normal ?

hash02

Hi.

Verifying steam files on large games took a lot (similar to hdd) so i checked speed in task manager (windows 10) and saw read speeds of 200MB/s tops.

drive is intel 660p https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/602553/INTEL-SSDPEKNW010T8

I know it's low tier crap drive but got it really cheap. didnt expect much performance but 200MB/s is what i get out of my seagate HDD.

what is the problem ?

The mobo is a x470 taichi, tried in all slots, same speed.

I know im not supposed to expect much of it, but 200 TOPS (and reads, on top of that) ? i have usb thumb drives faster than this. not to mention  my old Adata sata boot ssd is faster than this.

In another m.2 slot i have a kingston SA2000M8500G 500gb nvme drive. this one tops 400MB/s. this is weird

4 minutes ago, hash02 said:

Hi.

Verifying steam files on large games took a lot (similar to hdd) so i checked speed in task manager (windows 10) and saw read speeds of 200MB/s tops.

drive is intel 660p https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/602553/INTEL-SSDPEKNW010T8

I know it's low tier crap drive but got it really cheap. didnt expect much performance but 200MB/s is what i get out of my seagate HDD.

what is the problem ?

The mobo is a x470 taichi, tried in all slots, same speed.

I know im not supposed to expect much of it, but 200 TOPS (and reads, on top of that) ? i have usb thumb drives faster than this. not to mention  my old Adata sata boot ssd is faster than this.

In another m.2 slot i have a kingston SA2000M8500G 500gb nvme drive. this one tops 400MB/s. this is weird

Did you try both in the same conditions? It could just be the platform where you are verifying the game or the game itself.

Get latest CrystalDiskMark and see what you get for speeds.
As ding other things are almost ALWAYS depended on other speeds.

Like verifying Steam files will need a lot of CPU and RAM to check files, so not 100% disk speed will be used.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

This one is the intel nvme drive:

intel-nvme.png.fc99f65795190bb192ac433effbc17a3.png

and this one is the kingston nvme drive:

kingston-nvme.png.05dd5b0af8d344bcbcc5c7cf1b44dbc8.png

the results are all over the place.

on paper, the kinston drive is faster.

Intel: 1800 MB/s read and write
(intel specs)
Kingston: 2,200/2,000MB/s
(kingston specs)

I know bench and real use is not the same thing but 200Mb/s ? something wrong with my motherboard or os ? it doesnt matter if its steam verify or just copy a huge iso from one disk to the other. speeds are crap :(

20 minutes ago, hash02 said:

something wrong with my motherboard or os ?

No. your cpu and ram has to work on moving files too.

what cpu do you have?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

what cpu do you have?

ah i forgot my system specs

asrock x470 taichi

ryzen 7 2700x

2x8GB gskill 3200mhz cl14

windows 10 latest updates

Make sure you have no other programs using to much CPU, RAM or especially the Drive you're testing.
(Can check via taskmanager)

20 hours ago, hash02 said:

asrock x470 taichi

ryzen 7 2700x

2x8GB gskill 3200mhz cl14

windows 10 latest updates

But your specs are surely good enough to have the max speeds, which i think its not completely getting to.

But besides that, there's a lot more that comes into play then just the diskdrive in doing things like you mentioned. It IS faster, but they cant do wonders yet. There will always be a bottleneck.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Yep, makes perfect sense. to be thorough i even disabled the antivirus.

So nope, nothing running in the background.

do i have to install a driver from kingston or intel for their nvme drives ? like samsung has for it's 970 for example ???

here's a screenshot of a real world problem : copying a game - for example - guildwars 2 from one drive to the other starts at around 2-300 MB/s then drops to 10.

no other activities running in the background

speed.png.8fc680fc67ad1c9edf06fadb6b8e80db.png