Portable SSD vs DIY, help me choose.

Organic_Leather

Hello, i want to buy external SSD.

I was looking to just buy something like: Samsung Portable SSD T5 1TB but it costs here around 160eur so i tough what if i would just buy 1tb m.2 for 100eur and then just get M.2 enclosure for like 20eur.? i really like compact size for samsung drive but that extra price is just ehhh.

image.png.c0a629a1074998ded587a23a62920b8d.pngimage.png.761e22b389e905618259676282431433.png

Works fine as long as you're careful to get the correct enclosure type for the SSD you're using.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Works fine as long as you're careful to get the correct enclosure type for the SSD you're using.

I want usb-c to usb-c/a i was looking into m.2 encloses but if i remember correctly i could get nvme one and still connect sata ssd to it? because that how it usually goes on motherboards 

6 minutes ago, Organic_Leather said:

I want usb-c to usb-c/a i was looking into m.2 encloses but if i remember correctly i could get nvme one and still connect sata ssd to it? because that how it usually goes on motherboards 

those enclosres are sata or nvme only, the other type won't work, due to the controllers their using.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

those enclosres are sata or nvme only, the other type won't work, due to the controllers their using.

oh, that makes sense, so if i would go above sata speed i will need thunderbolt compatible enclosure? 

1 minute ago, Organic_Leather said:

oh, that makes sense, so if i would go above sata speed i will need thunderbolt compatible enclosure? 

there is usb to nvme controllers that support 10gbit, so put a nvme ssd in there and you can copy files at around 1gB/s

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

there is usb to nvme controllers that support 10gbit, so put a nvme ssd in there and you can copy files at around 1gB/s

but those speeds can go tough only usb-c 3.1 gen2 port? well it seems am lucky because my x470 has it but  i think its cheaper for me stick to sata type then because most devices don't have that port. 

1 minute ago, Organic_Leather said:

but those speeds can go tough only usb-c 3.1 gen2 port? well it seems am lucky because my x470 has it but  i think its cheaper for me stick to sata type then because most devices don't have that port. 

yup, you need usb 10gbit to use those speeds.