Buying a large ssd for game storage.

nicholastank2

So with the next gen consoles using SSD's. SSD's will become incredibly important for games over the next couple of years, so i was wondering if it would be stupid to buy a large SSD to use to put games on (I use an SSD for my OS and all drivers and critical applications as well as game launchers, but games are stored on large HDD)?. Now I will expand my question, this drive would be for just games, and my intention would be to carry it forward through multiple builds as a fast game drive. i am thinking a Samsung 980 pro (or evo when that comes out). reason I want to do this is because SSD's are expensive for me, especially large compacity ones (I also have a great history with Samsung drives so I would rather a Samsung drive) and so it's something I would want to buy ever couple of builds. I would assume it would last a good while because I would only write to it when I am downloading games or moving them to HDD's for long term storage.

1 minute ago, nicholastank2 said:

So with the next gen consoles using SSD's. SSD's will become incredibly important for games over the next couple of years, so i was wondering if it would be stupid to buy a large SSD to use to put games on (I use an SSD for my OS and all drivers and critical applications as well as game launchers, but games are stored on large HDD)?. Now I will expand my question, this drive would be for just games, and my intention would be to carry it forward through multiple builds as a fast game drive. i am thinking a Samsung 980 pro (or evo when that comes out). reason I want to do this is because SSD's are expensive for me, especially large compacity ones (I also have a great history with Samsung drives so I would rather a Samsung drive) and so it's something I would want to buy ever couple of builds. I would assume it would last a good while because I would only write to it when I am downloading games or moving them to HDD's for long term storage.

If your just storing games then you don't need a PCIE Gen 4 SSD. Any 970 from Samsung would work well for you.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

What's wrong with other brands?

And why not get a 2TB 2.5 inch SSD?

The 2TB WD blue SSD can be had for 150 depending on where you are in the world.

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

48 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

What's wrong with other brands?

And why not get a 2TB 2.5 inch SSD?

The 2TB WD blue SSD can be had for 150 depending on where you are in the world.

Just mostly a trust thing, i have used Lots of Samsung SSD's. And i also like the software for the drive. And the reason no 2.5inch is because sata cannot match the speed of the new console SSDS.

Samsung 970 EVO-s have gotten cheap - 1TB around 110€$ in some places.

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, nicholastank2 said:

Just mostly a trust thing, i have used Lots of Samsung SSD's. And i also like the software for the drive. And the reason no 2.5inch is because sata cannot match the speed of the new console SSDS.

What do you need speed for if you are just storing games?

Load times are not massively impacted by NVMe be it GEN 3 or GEN 4

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

2 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

What do you need speed for if you are just storing games?

Load times are not massively impacted by NVMe be it GEN 3 or GEN 4

But the new consoles use NVme, and with direct storage api coming( meaning graphics can directly access the storage)

4 minutes ago, nicholastank2 said:

But the new consoles use NVme, and with direct storage api coming( meaning graphics can directly access the storage)

Watch this:

1 minute ago, Kirky2k15 said:

Watch this:

Don't think its about the read speed, its about the access latency of NVME being much lower.

10 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

IOPS

Yes IOPS, Also would totally take a 970 evo :)

go for 2tb if you can afford it, its the best value right now compared to 1TB, but still costly. or just get a 500gb and a 8tb hdd to use for backing up games, so you can transfer them to the 500gb hdd as needed.

i got my crucial p5 500gb for just £85. 100% worth it, although tbh the difference between it and a crucial mx500 sata 2.5'' drive is hardly noticable for me. it is noticable on benchmarks however, and i dont have the best memory, so it probably is actually much better and im just not noticing it lol

i'd recommend: high speed low capacity nvme as boot drive (fastest), an extra 2.5'' ssd or two for storing large games if they dont fit on the nvme (fast, but cheaper than nvme), and then a hdd or two for everything else (best capacity), maybe even another ssd or two to use with the hdds as cache for extra speed (i do this with windows storage spaces, but if storing important files you want to set up a raid1/mirrored type scenario as opposed to the default raid0/simple, cause if the cache drive fails everything fails)

2 hours ago, nicholastank2 said:

Now I will expand my question, this drive would be for just games, and my intention would be to carry it forward through multiple builds as a fast game drive.

Flash storage will only get cheaper in the future so it's pointless to buy larger than what you need now and keep it for many years, buy what you need for a year or 2 and add more later.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So i just wanted to give you guys an update, i so i think instead i will get a samsung 970 evo 1Tb. it will be plenty fast enough as it will be faster then the new xbox consoles ssd. so any multiplatform will have to target it. I should be able to carry it through atleast 2 builds :)