Router with OpenVPN support

Khoomn

Hey, was wondering if there are any good routers to get that support OpenVPN configs to be put into them. Trying to also convince my parents to get it instead of paying $14 a month for renting a router from our ISP.

I need it to also have good coverage as the router will be in the basement, be able to change the MAC Address on it so I can change my IP at will, and not be too expensive, since I'm trying to convince them to get this.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Khoomn said:

Hey, was wondering if there are any good routers to get that support OpenVPN configs to be put into them. Trying to also convince my parents to get it instead of paying $14 a month for renting a router from our ISP

If your existing router supports 3rd-party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT, Tomato or one of its forks, OpenWRT), you can simply install that and use the VPN client built in. Some have VPN-specific firmware versions, so you’ll have to follow the instructions carefully for your specific model of router.

That being said, not all routers have powerful enough CPUs to maintain an encrypted VPN connection and handle being a router. So overall LAN/WAN speed might suffer.

Is the device you’re renting a combo device (i.e. modem + router + access point)? If so, what kind of internet connection do you use?

8 hours ago, Khoomn said:

I need it to also have good coverage as the router will be in the basement, be able to change the MAC Address on it so I can change my IP at will, and not be too expensive, since I'm trying to convince them to get this.

That is going to be difficult for any wireless router because wireless signals are usually in an omnidirectional pattern. That means that the signal is good on the horizontal plane, but drops off fast in the vertical plane.

With regards to changing MAC address: Your ISP should assign your WAN IP using the modem/gateway that is associated with your account with them. It has nothing to do with any wireless router that you have behind the modem/gateway. Rebooting your modem/gateway usually provides you with a new WAN IP.

Finally, what is not “too expensive”? What are you using now? What is your budget?

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

With regards to changing MAC address: Your ISP should assign your WAN IP using the modem/gateway that is associated with your account with them

Only if the modem/gateway is acting as a router. If it's acting as bridge, the router's MAC-address behind the modem will be used for that.

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Rebooting your modem/gateway usually provides you with a new WAN IP.

Maybe where you live, but this hasn't been true for me. At least over here, DHCP-servers tend to give 12h or 24h leases and you'll just get the same lease as you already had, unless your MAC-address changes or the lease expires.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

If your existing router supports 3rd-party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT, Tomato or one of its forks, OpenWRT), you can simply install that and use the VPN client built in. Some have VPN-specific firmware versions, so you’ll have to follow the instructions carefully for your specific model of router.

That being said, not all routers have powerful enough CPUs to maintain an encrypted VPN connection and handle being a router. So overall LAN/WAN speed might suffer.

Is the device you’re renting a combo device (i.e. modem + router + access point)? If so, what kind of internet connection do you use?

That is going to be difficult for any wireless router because wireless signals are usually in an omnidirectional pattern. That means that the signal is good on the horizontal plane, but drops off fast in the vertical plane.

With regards to changing MAC address: Your ISP should assign your WAN IP using the modem/gateway that is associated with your account with them. It has nothing to do with any wireless router that you have behind the modem/gateway. Rebooting your modem/gateway usually provides you with a new WAN IP.

Finally, what is not “too expensive”? What are you using now? What is your budget?

My current one from my ISP is a modem + router, I'm pretty sure.