3070 or RX 6800 for CADing?

Ok so I’m building a PC to use Solidworks on and I’ve been debating on if I should go With AMDs RX 6800 or Nvidias RTX 3070? Could anyone help me please?

If you're only using Solidworks, I wouldn't recommend either. Solidworks is very reliant on having Quadro drivers, so a Quadro P2200 or similar will do better than any gaming card.

1 minute ago, yaboi824 said:

Ok so I’m building a PC to use Solidworks on and I’ve been debating on if I should go With AMDs RX 6800 or Nvidias RTX 3070? Could anyone help me please?

I don't know cad, but if you need denoise as I do on blender, Nvidia is the only solution. If you also so it by CPU, or you don't care about that, it is another story. 

1 hour ago, PeachGr said:

I don't know cad, but if you need denoise as I do on blender, Nvidia is the only solution. If you also so it by CPU, or you don't care about that, it is another story. 

I don't think I will be denoising anything as it isn't meant for super sophisticated CADing, but I am leaning more and more towards the 3070 just because it is cheaper than the RX6800.

1 hour ago, Grabhanem said:

If you're only using Solidworks, I wouldn't recommend either. Solidworks is very reliant on having Quadro drivers, so a Quadro P2200 or similar will do better than any gaming card.

I will look into that as Quadro's are much more powerful than gaming GPU with graphic design. (I hadn't even thought of using a Quadro ngl lol)

6 minutes ago, yaboi824 said:

I will look into that as Quadro's are much more powerful than gaming GPU with graphic design. (I hadn't even thought of using a Quadro ngl lol)

I think that quadro is kinda old hardware compared to 3090 for example. So if the price is similar, then I don't know. 

Do you happen to use a lot of vram? 

Also don't underestimate the software of Nvidia. Maybe you don't need denoise, but there are many things apart from raw performance when it comes to professional use

18 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I think that quadro is kinda old hardware compared to 3090 for example. So if the price is similar, then I don't know. 

Do you happen to use a lot of vram? 

Also don't underestimate the software of Nvidia. Maybe you don't need denoise, but there are many things apart from raw performance when it comes to professional use

The price for the P2200 is about $800 (CAD) compared to the 3090 being $1500 (USD) not quite the same lol and I am trying to stay around $2000 CAD for my budget. And Nvidia's software is quite good that's why I ended up considering the 3070.

19 minutes ago, yaboi824 said:

The price for the P2200 is about $800 (CAD) compared to the 3090 being $1500 (USD) not quite the same lol and I am trying to stay around $2000 CAD for my budget. And Nvidia's software is quite good that's why I ended up considering the 3070.

Lol when I see quadro my mind goes to the 8000$ quadros. I guess you are right.

I just can't buy AMD because there is no gsync, Ray trasing ( to the same level), filmware reliability, denoise (for me), background noice reduction, 2-3 camera related AI implementations, known video recording software and easy to use...

There are so many things to give up, some I use some I ll maybe use laters, that I can't see me ever buying AMD :(

7 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I just can't buy AMD because there is no gsync, Ray trasing ( to the same level), filmware reliability, denoise (for me), background noice reduction, 2-3 camera related AI implementations, known video recording software and easy to use...

There are so many things to give up, some I use some I ll maybe use laters, that I can't see me ever buying AMD :(

You realize quadros are made by Nvidia right >.>

2 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Yeah I know, but I wanted to answer to the AMD vs Nvidia from the topic's title :D

1 hour ago, PeachGr said:

AMD CPUS are great and I figure by next turn with their GPU they might be able to dethrone Nvidia but until then I am not getting a AMD GPU because their software also does need a lot of development and plus what good is a GPU without proper drivers? lol

LMAO idk tho like having a 3070 I feel would be better just because of the architecture difference and plus the P2200 is about th same price for the 3070 lol.

Also wouldn't the gaming horsepower in the GPU be able to do CADing somewhat better? Just because of the extra VRAM and all that other lovely stuff.

1 hour ago, yaboi824 said:

Also wouldn't the gaming horsepower in the GPU be able to do CADing somewhat better? Just because of the extra VRAM and all that other lovely stuff.

Solidworks isn't actually that GPU heavy, it's just hard on consumer cards because it makes very heavy use of Quadro-driver-specific features- iirc anti-aliased lines is one common one. For Solidworks in particular, the P2200 is well ahead of every Pascal/Turing consumer card except the Titan RTX, which has professional drivers of some sort as well. I'm not sure whether the 3090 would have some form of professional driver, being a Titan replacement, but my suspicion would be no, and the P2200 would definitely beat anything below that.

Solidworks isn't actually that GPU heavy, it's just hard on consumer cards because it makes very heavy use of Quadro-driver-specific features- iirc anti-aliased lines is one common one. For Solidworks in particular, the P2200 is well ahead of every Pascal/Turing consumer card except the Titan RTX, which has professional drivers of some sort as well. I'm not sure whether the 3090 would have some form of professional driver, being a Titan replacement, but my suspicion would be no, and the P2200 would definitely beat anything below that.

I shall look into it!

Solidworks/Solid Edge/Inventor are parasolid based. Some calculations are made on the GPU, some are made on CPU. Real time geometry updates are made on GPU. Quadro cards have specific features and drivers to deal with point cloud calculations more efficeant than standard gaming GPUs. That does not mean a gaming GPU cant do it, just takes more time. Tho it would be interesting to see if the RDNA architecture with its generic compute units can still do CAD work. My aging R9 390X at home does only a little worse than a P600 in my office PC. 

The biggest investment you should do is in the CPU, since parasolid models relay on parametric calculations...and that is still mostly single core bound. Choose the best single-core performance CPU with the lowest physical core count. Also, keep in mind that advances in Solidworks programming may have utilized more modern technologies, thus may require a specific core count. I would say 8 core cpu that can turbo over 4GHz is pretty decent at covering most scenarios you will encounter. 

5 hours ago, PriitM said:

Solidworks/Solid Edge/Inventor are parasolid based. Some calculations are made on the GPU, some are made on CPU. Real time geometry updates are made on GPU. Quadro cards have specific features and drivers to deal with point cloud calculations more efficeant than standard gaming GPUs. That does not mean a gaming GPU cant do it, just takes more time. Tho it would be interesting to see if the RDNA architecture with its generic compute units can still do CAD work. My aging R9 390X at home does only a little worse than a P600 in my office PC. 

The biggest investment you should do is in the CPU, since parasolid models relay on parametric calculations...and that is still mostly single core bound. Choose the best single-core performance CPU with the lowest physical core count. Also, keep in mind that advances in Solidworks programming may have utilized more modern technologies, thus may require a specific core count. I would say 8 core cpu that can turbo over 4GHz is pretty decent at covering most scenarios you will encounter. 

Would the new R5 5600x has 6 cores work for solidworks or the R7 that has 8 cores? I am also on a rough budget of 2000 (CAD) and I am trying to stay right near that point as much as possible too.