Low performance laptop power state?

So I'm not new to PC gaming, but I only recently bought my first windows based laptop.

Its a Lenovo Legion 5i 17" , configured with an i7 10750H & RTX 2060.

Right away I noticed it's a completely different computer in terms of performance when running on battery. Roughly 75% CPU and 50% GPU when comparing to being plugged in.

Trying to figure out if this is software based throttling , or a hardware power limitation (the power brick is 230w, so maybe battery can't deliver sufficient power to match?).

I've tried everything software-wise I can think of (battery power settings, disable power throttling in local group policy editor, custom power plan, disabling "dynamic platform and thermal framework" in bios (this helped most but not 100%)).

So my questions are :

A) Is this a common issue for gaming laptops similar to mine? Would certainly want to know if my unit is defective in any way.

B) Is there a safe/effective way to enable full performance while using battery? I know this would drain the battery extremely quickly but it would be nice to have the option.

4 minutes ago, Granit64 said:

A) Is this a common issue for gaming laptops similar to mine? Would certainly want to know if my unit is defective in any way.

This is by design. Batteries simply can't deliver the power that is needed when the device runs at full speed. It's also to make the battery last as long as possible while mobile.

4 minutes ago, Granit64 said:

B) Is there a safe/effective way to enable full performance while using battery? I know this would drain the battery extremely quickly but it would be nice to have the option.

There's a physical limit at how quickly you can discharge a battery. You can disable all the power saver options in Windows, but that's about it. You can't make the battery provide more power then it is designed for.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

22 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

This is by design. Batteries simply can't deliver the power that is needed when the device runs at full speed. It's also to make the battery last as long as possible while mobile.

There's a physical limit at how quickly you can discharge a battery. You can disable all the power saver options in Windows, but that's about it. You can't make the battery provide more power then it is designed for.

Oh Ok thank you

I thought that might be the case