Heavy banding during movie

DaybreakOmega

Hi everyone, I have the following setup here at home:

LG 55CX
nVidia Shield Pro 2020
Denon x2400h

The Shield is connected to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver is connected to the tv via HDMI. When watching a movie (Captain Marvel) yesterday I noticed terrible banding on scenes that contained a lot of smoke or a clear blue sky.

When I use the internal media player of my tv the banding is not there. When I connect the shield directly to the tv, the banding also disapears. So the problem seems to be at the receivers end. But I always thought that the receiver was supposed to only handle the audio and just passthrough the video. I am using the latest kodi version on my Shield.

Are there any settings I am missing, either on the media player or receivers end? It's a relatively expensive setup so it should work as it's supposed to in my opinion. I just hope the receiver isn't malfunctioning, since it's out of waranty and it just sucks to remove the cables.

I am looking forward to any suggestion regarding my problem.

4 hours ago, DaybreakOmega said:

Hi everyone, I have the following setup here at home:

LG 55CX
nVidia Shield Pro 2020
Denon x2400h

The Shield is connected to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver is connected to the tv via HDMI. When watching a movie (Captain Marvel) yesterday I noticed terrible banding on scenes that contained a lot of smoke or a clear blue sky.

When I use the internal media player of my tv the banding is not there. When I connect the shield directly to the tv, the banding also disapears. So the problem seems to be at the receivers end. But I always thought that the receiver was supposed to only handle the audio and just passthrough the video. I am using the latest kodi version on my Shield.

Are there any settings I am missing, either on the media player or receivers end? It's a relatively expensive setup so it should work as it's supposed to in my opinion. I just hope the receiver isn't malfunctioning, since it's out of waranty and it just sucks to remove the cables.

I am looking forward to any suggestion regarding my problem.

double check the setting in the denon and make sure its doing passthrough. it sounds like its trying to process the video. (which it can do but all avr's suck at it)

40 minutes ago, circeseye said:

double check the setting in the denon and make sure its doing passthrough. it sounds like its trying to process the video. (which it can do but all avr's suck at it)

Hi, I tried that but the banding still remains.

30 minutes ago, DaybreakOmega said:

Hi, I tried that but the banding still remains.

try a different input?

12 minutes ago, circeseye said:

try a different input?

I updated the receivers firmware and the problem seems to have been fixed. Thanks for your input!