is it time to upgrade ?

dishonored21
Go to solution Solved by Semper,
5 minutes ago, dishonored21 said:

its a 8600k not a 8086

no bro right now i'm feeling good with it but since i got some money in my pocket i want to know if i should spend them and be "futur" proof 

or just use them for something else then pc etc...

Apologies, not sure why I read 8086k there.

Either way, I still can't imagine that an 8600k is causing you issue. "future proof" is a concept that doesn't exist in reality. Your current platform is just as "future proof" as anything you could upgrade to today. Slightly better performance than what you have right now. for a substantial investment. Realistically, my 4790k is still very capable, despite the performance gains that could be had by upgrading. You're four generations newer than that.

If you want to get in on real-time ray tracing sure, upgrade your 1080, otherwise, it's still plenty capable. I wouldn't be upgrading it now for non ray tracing performance, it's just not worth it yet.

Hello Everybody i'm happy to be with these community 😀(and sorry in advence for my english since my home country english is not a main language )

anyways i have these rig

i5-8600k \\ gtx 1080 \\ 32gb ram 3000mhz cl 16

i was telling myself to upgrade right now only one of these two cpu or gpu can't do both

i'm aiming for a ryzen 5800x and a rtx  3080 ( or a 6800xt )

i do normal gaming in FHD144hz not that much of a hardcore i can accept to play at limit 55 fps 

i do some small programming even if i'm still a complete noob and browsing and network data center gestion 

is it worth or should i wait another gen like intel 11th or anything else ?? thanks 👋

Are you not hitting performance that's acceptable?

If you are, you're spending money for the sake of spending money.

I can't imagine that an 8086 8600k/1080 is giving you issue, they're both still quite capable.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, Semper said:

Are you not hitting performance that's acceptable?

If you are, you're spending money for the sake of spending money.

I can't imagine that an 8086/1080 is giving you issue, they're both still quite capable.

its a 8600k not a 8086

no bro right now i'm feeling good with it but since i got some money in my pocket i want to know if i should spend them and be "futur" proof 

like @Semper said, unless you're not hitting framerates that you'd want, there's no reason to upgrade. 8600K is still a very capable CPU, and GTX 1080 is also a very good GPU, especially for FHD 144Hz. (if anything, you probably only need a GPU upgrade)

If I were you, I'd wait until AM5 comes out (next year) with Ryzen 6000 on a 5nm process. It should be an absolute killer of a CPU, and will be on a whole new platform, so lots of room to upgrade to better CPUs in the future.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, dishonored21 said:

its a 8600k not a 8086

If you spend your money on a PC now, it might have good performance for 4 years (let's use 4 as a random number, it could be 3 or 5 or 6 depending on what you're trying to do and how the gaming industry changes)

if you buy a PC now, it will need replacement 2024

if you wait until you need a new PC (maybe 2021), then your PC will need replacement 2025

by waiting, you are literally just saving money and will end up getting a better PC in the long run.

Invest your money in the stock market or something idk

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, dishonored21 said:

its a 8600k not a 8086

Apologies, not sure why I read 8086k there.

Either way, I still can't imagine that an 8600k is causing you issue. "future proof" is a concept that doesn't exist in reality. Your current platform is just as "future proof" as anything you could upgrade to today. Slightly better performance than what you have right now. for a substantial investment. Realistically, my 4790k is still very capable, despite the performance gains that could be had by upgrading. You're four generations newer than that.

If you want to get in on real-time ray tracing sure, upgrade your 1080, otherwise, it's still plenty capable. I wouldn't be upgrading it now for non ray tracing performance, it's just not worth it yet.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB