Turkey Day Recipes

Trik'Stari

So, with Thanksgiving coming up here in the US, I thought it might be fun to share what everyone is cooking, if they are cooking anything at all.

I'm planning on cooking a Turkey using a method from the Food Wishes Youtube channel, wherein heavily seasoned and buttered leftover rice is stuff between the breast and skin of the bird, to both insulate and flavor the breast meat. I already tried this on a chicken a few weeks ago and it did in fact make the breast meat take longer to come up to temp, which is a good thing because normally by the time the dark meat of a bird (thighs, drumsticks, etc) come up to the temp they are done at, the breast meat has turned into chalk.

I'm using a store bought rice mix (white, red, brown, and wild rice) that I sauteed in butter and bacon fat, then added some poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper, and roasted garlic powder, then I poured in boiling water and simmered for 15-20 minutes.

I also plan on roasted plenty of carrots and onions in the bottom of the roasting pan to serve on the side, along with riced potatoes and homemade stuffing.

So, what's everyone else doing, if anything, for Thanksgiving?

For your convenience, here is the method I am talking about for the turkey/bird

Spoiler

It actually does work quite well. Just don't stuff the cavity of the bird with the remaining rice that didn't end up under the skin, because that will make the bird take a LONG time to finish, and by that time your breast meat will be overcooked to hell.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If you're planning a Turkey, consider making it "spatchcock" (cut the spine out, flatten it) if you don't care about the "traditional appearance" of a turkey on the dinner table (I don't know about you... But in my family, we always cut and plate the turkey before putting on the table where all the tableware are. Easier that way, less likely to cause a mess)

Doing it "spatchcock" style cuts a TON of cooking time all while giving the same/better taste. The food theory channel did a video on this recently, it's good that they are getting this method out to the world :

(You can still season it however you want)

I used to hate baking a God forsaken turkey and would more often than not just get a chicken instead, but after starting that method a few years ago, I love it. (The method, not the turkey, still not a huge fan of the taste compared to Chicken, but once a year is fine)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If you're planning a Turkey, considering doing making it "spatchcock" (cut the spine out, flatten it) if you don't care about the "traditional appearance" of a turkey on the dinner table (I don't know about you... But in my family, we always cut the turkey before putting on the table where all the tableware are. Easier that way, less likely to cause a mess)

Doing it "spatchcock" style cuts a TON of cooking time all while giving the same/better taste. The food theory channel did a video on this recently, it's good that they are getting this method out to the world :

I used to hate baking a God forsaken turkey and would more often than not just get a chicken instead, but after starting that method a few years ago, I love it.

I was gunna post that video!

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

I'm not even American but next weekend I'm going to make my 2 favourite sweets. Pecan Pie (not traditional but I love making it with Maple Syrup) and Pumpkin Pie. I've made both before many times but this time I intend to roast my own pumpkin instead of just opening a tin.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not even American but next weekend I'm going to make my 2 favourite sweets. Pecan Pie (not traditional but I love making it with Maple Syrup) and Pumpkin Pie. I've made both before many times but this time I intend to roast my own pumpkin instead of just opening a tin.

I've always thought that humanity, as a whole, needs to come to agreement to have certain family oriented, seasonal celebrations. It's just good for us psychologically, generally speaking. Base it on whatever you want, but have a party, invite your family, and create wonderful memories. Your nationality or religion should not matter.

If you're making those, might I suggest gravy stuffed stuffing muffins?

Spoiler

I was going to make these, but I couldn't find turkey sausage.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

If you're planning a Turkey, considering doing making it "spatchcock" (cut the spine out, flatten it) if you don't care about the "traditional appearance" of a turkey on the dinner table (I don't know about you... But in my family, we always cut and plate the turkey before putting on the table where all the tableware are. Easier that way, less likely to cause a mess)

I used to hate baking a God forsaken turkey and would more often than not just get a chicken instead, but after starting that method a few years ago, I love it. (The method, not the turkey, still not a huge fan of the taste compared to Chicken, but once a year is fine)

I would if it wasn't my dad and grandad. My grandad has never complained, my dad always wants a "traditional" (see: bland and dried out) turkey.

I'm pushing the limit with the idea of stuffing flavored, and cooked rice under the skin ontop of the breasts, I might just stuff it with butter and put hot stuffing in it half way through, or for the last 15 minutes.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I would if it wasn't my dad and grandad. My grandad has never complained, my dad always wants a "traditional" (see: bland and dried out) turkey.

I'm pushing the limit with the idea of stuffing flavored, and cooked rice under the skin ontop of the breasts,

What you could do, is get a very small turkey, and prepare it using this method and use the seasoning that you want and have them taste it afterward. Do that outside of thanksgiving, like in 2~3 weeks when the thanksgiving turkey's leftovers are all gone.

Typically, people who do it using their "traditional" bland method, just do so because they haven't tried how much better it can be (my family used to "season" it with cheap BEER of all thing, nothing else, DISGUSTING).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

What you could do, is get a very small turkey, and prepare it using this method and use the seasoning that you want and have them taste it afterward. Do that outside of thanksgiving, like in 2~3 weeks when the thanksgiving turkey's leftovers are all gone.

Typically, people who do it using their "traditional" bland method, just do so because they haven't tried how much better it can be (my family used to "season" it with cheap BEER of all thing, nothing else, DISGUSTING).

The funny thing is, I know I could make something you would love, with cheap beer, a turkey, some basic seasonings, and time.

Maybe a little bit of luck.

I once made a passable gravy using cheap beer, bacon fat, a spice mix from a ramen noodle packet, some basic seasonings, and a little bit of vinegar.

People just need to try new things, I agree.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Why do you cook a turkey on that day?

Legit question, I'm not from the US.

I've heard a lot of different reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_dinner

I've even been told there was no Turkey on the original day, but who knows. It's just something that's become a thing.

I'd much rather roast a chicken. Far easier and tastier in my opinion. Honestly, I just love the idea of having a big feast day late in Autumn.

My mom is doing the cooking. I work on Turkey Day. 😭

We usually follow Gordon Ramsay’s recipes with some of our own additions. Going with a 12lb butterball turkey this year.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

On 11/22/2020 at 3:45 PM, Trik'Stari said:

a "traditional" (see: bland and dried out) turkey.

You seem like a person who likes to cook so this might be old news to you.

My family would put a one or two red delicious apples in the turkey when baking it.

It gives the bird a good flavor and seems to help keep it moist and tender.

My mother and grandmother are both past now.

So for the past four years I've been roughing Thanksgiving day out myself and I can't cook worth spit.

I went to my sister's one year and it was nice but she's one of these people who doesn't really put on the feed bag lol.

If you know what I mean. 😄

All my life Mom used to cook it like she was feeding a small army. She loved it.

So it's been mostly a dead holiday for me now.

Last year I got the bright idea to try to make candied sweet potatoes. I found a recipe online and followed it.

It had so much brown sugar in it. That when I ate it I almost went into some kind of shock and felt sick. 🤢

I learned you can't trust online recipes and I had to throw that out.

I can make the basics of course but I really miss it being done well and all the sweat extras that used to be part of the meal.

Dang I wish I had another grandmother lol.

😄