just talked to linus about cpu upgrade thought i should go with something other than the 8320

So as you see in the title he said basically that the 8320 isn't terrible but I should come over here and ask so here I am.

Oh and in case it didn't seem like I asked for anything I'm looking for suggestions :)

So as you see in the title he said basically that the 8320 isn't terrible but I should come over here and ask so here I am.

If you have a decent cooler and you can OC the 8320 it is a pretty darn good CPU! Heck i even menage it on a 6100 :P

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Personally I still prefer the superior per core performance of an Intel chip, but if you'll be overclocking... There's not much you can get that's unlocked these days at that price range...

A last gen i5 (multiplier partially unlocked unlike non-K Haswells which are completely locked) is not a bad bet.

Another option is buying used. a 3820 an X79 board could probably be had on the cheap with the recent news about Haswell-E and X99... and gives a solid upgrade path to a 6 core.

I used to buy the vast majority of my hardware used.

If you have a decent cooler and you can OC the 8320 it is a pretty darn good CPU! Heck i even menage it on a 6100 :P

So if I were to say go with liquid cooling and could squeeze a little more power out of it that it would be worth it?

Personally I still prefer the superior per core performance of an Intel chip, but if you'll be overclocking... There's not much you can get that's unlocked these days at that price range...

A last gen i5 (multiplier partially unlocked unlike non-K Haswells which are completely locked) is not a bad bet.

Another option is buying used. a 3820 an X79 board could probably be had on the cheap with the recent news about Haswell-E and X99... and gives a solid upgrade path to a 6 core.

I used to buy the vast majority of my hardware used.

What if I plan on mainly gaming at least for the near* future would you still recommend the Intel route?

So if I were to say go with liquid cooling and could squeeze a little more power out of it that it would be worth it?

Imo i would say yes, air cooling can be just fine to. the temps idle temps will be lower but the max temps. will be higher. Just what you prefer, i would go for a h100i or something like that.

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

The AMD chips only come into their own when overclocked. IE - due to the higher IPC and single threaded performance of the Intel chips you need to push the AMD as high as you can in order to get the most out of it.

Mind you, the same can be said for Intel CPUs too. I have a hex core 32nm Westmere that runs at 2ghz and can't be overclocked. I also have a 8320 @ 4.9ghz and the AMD is 35-55% faster than the Intel. But that's only because I have overclocked the AMD. Without the overclock the Intel would be about on par with it.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

The AMD chips only come into their own when overclocked. IE - due to the higher IPC and single threaded performance of the Intel chips you need to push the AMD as high as you can in order to get the most out of it.

Mind you, the same can be said for Intel CPUs too. I have a hex core 32nm Westmere that runs at 2ghz and can't be overclocked. I also have a 8320 @ 4.9ghz and the AMD is 35-55% faster than the Intel. But that's only because I have overclocked the AMD. Without the overclock the Intel would be about on par with it.

I see well I definitely plan on their on an h100i to my copy no matter what decision I end up going with so that sounds great to me

I'd recently researched for a new build and, in my view, I came away with the basic consensus (on new parts anyway) if you are spending $150 and under go AMD. Going over $150, AMD makes little sense including the 8350 and especially those terrible 9xxx chips which are basically AMD's way of saying "YAY!! We have the most MHZ's. Good luck getting there sucker!" Personally, if I were building from scratch again, I'd go with an FX-6300 and overclock the BaJaysus out of it and invest in more graphix. 

If you're only gaming and not doing any extremely intensive editing etc, an 8320 overclocked with a good cooler will be about as good

as an intel chip for gaming. I wouldn't change your motherboard and cpu for gaming purposes, since the 8320 does a good job for gaming anyway.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

I see well I definitely plan on their on an h100i to my copy no matter what decision I end up going with so that sounds great to me

H100+ is a minimum. Nothing else works as well and the heat rises fast.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

well if you are buying a new platform then go intel.if you can`t afford it go amd

but you should post your specs that you have now. 

you should say what will you do with the build

will you oc or not (non K i5 is fine for a very long time for ex) but if you are into OC,ofc you want a K cpu

and budget ofc

Unless you can absolutely avoid it DO NOT buy a locked CPU.

A couple of years back I decided to buy an I5. I thought "Sod it CBA overclocking".  It was an I5 2400 btw.

I then bought a GTX 670, then another one for SLI. Then I ran tests and the CPU was bottlenecking the shit out of my GPUs. I'm talking min FPS of 23 in Crysis 3 which was totally unacceptable to me.

I replaced it last year with an AMD FX 8320 and overclocked it to 4.2ghz (the most my board could do) and my min FPS nearly doubled. The problem with the Intel was the derped crappy stock speed. 3.2ghz or something utterly crap like that, when the I5 2500k was capable of 5ghz and was the exact same chip !!

And there was nothing I could do about it, lesson learned.

However, as I have said and please take note of this !! you will need to clock an FX 8 to at least 4.3ghz to make it competitive. And that will mean a good board and a good cooling solution which makes it expensive. So, it's one of those situations where you either do it properly or don't bother. At 4.9ghz my 8320 pisses with the Intels, but, I run a very expensive board (the best FX board there is) and a H100. My H60 could not even hold 4.2ghz without the CPU overheating.

So you can't half ass it.

maybe the new Haswell CPUs coming out? I have an 8350 and i hate how it limits me in games, intel's 4 core cpu's just sh*t on it in terms of gaming.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

maybe the new Haswell CPUs coming out? I have an 8350 and i hate how it limits me in games, intel's 4 core cpu's just sh*t on it in terms of gaming.

See, I run an 8350 in my primary gaming system (I actually have three of them), and it does not limit anything in any game. I also have a 4770K based build and there is very little difference in gaming performance between the two chips when the supporting hardware is comparable. Same GPU, RAM, etc. In most all situations, the differences are measured in single digit FPS, and when we are at, near, or well over 60 at all times anyway, it's completely and totally unnoticeable outside of benchmarking.

An 8350 should not in any way be limiting your gaming performance by any noticeable level. I play some of the most demanding games on the market on that 8350, a heavily modded Skyrim, BF4, Crysis 3, Arma 3, DayZ SA, and now Titanfall. Not a single issue what so ever. So it's not like I am pampering it. lol

=/

The way I look at it is if you can't/shouldn't put a custom loop on it, it's probably not worth spending over ~$40-60 on cooling. The 8320 falls into this category for me, especially since it's a more budget-oriented high quality CPU.

I have no idea what this is about the X99 boards and Haswell-E announcement/info, but I'd have to side with Linus for sure. If the 3820 is going to be cheaper and he's saying that it'll be competitive to some degree, I'm guessing it's a good idea regardless of the cooling you use on it.

Just take what I said to begin with to mind because good CLCs are usually much more expensive than air coolers and generally not quieter until you slap on better fans, if at all quieter. You're better off going air to save money unless your case/RAM doesn't have the proper clearance needed. A few suggestions would be a $40-$70 Be Quiet!, or Noctua (even if it is ugly, it's one of the best). There's some others out there that are probably around that price and not rip-offs but I seriously have no idea where to get them.

Also, the benefit of saving some cash on a cooler might mean the ability to buy a better CPU. If you're going to be stuck with the 8320, though, you should just get what's going to work best. Board costs are roughly the same for Intel and AMD sockets now, depending on which of course. I don't think one can make the argument that you'll spend a crap-ton on a mobo for an i5/i7 now with the prices I've seen.

Here's something I seem to stumble upon a lot. Intel will always provide more performance per core. There's no doubt about it. What AMD always had going for is their low price CPU's that provide just as good performance. They'e not better than Intel but they're not worse. And you won't find an 8 core CPU in that price anywhere even if it loses to Intel in benchmarks.

Let's say you're going with a gaming build and you chose a GTX 770 as your GPU. You choose the 8320 and your friend has a similar build but he chose the Intel i5-4670k instead. Running benchmarks his is much likely to get better scores in the benchmarks when comparing the numbers but when you play on each build, you won't notice the difference. Intel is better no doubt but as long as you're getting 60 FPS+ constantly you'll notice very little if any. If you're tight on a budget go with AMD and a good cooler. I actually recommend AMD in gaming builds unless the person is dead set on getting an Intel CPU. You'll save more money that you can put into something else like the GPU or the SSD. No matter which route you'll go you will still get good performance especially in gaming. But when you're talking about video editing and work related process you'll notice that the Intel K series processors are a bit faster overall. But in gaming you won't notice much of a difference at all like some people told you here.

See, I run an 8350 in my primary gaming system (I actually have three of them), and it does not limit anything in any game. I also have a 4770K based build and there is very little difference in gaming performance between the two chips when the supporting hardware is comparable. Same GPU, RAM, etc. In most all situations, the differences are measured in single digit FPS, and when we are at, near, or well over 60 at all times anyway, it's completely and totally unnoticeable outside of benchmarking.

An 8350 should not in any way be limiting your gaming performance by any noticeable level. I play some of the most demanding games on the market on that 8350, a heavily modded Skyrim, BF4, Crysis 3, Arma 3, DayZ SA, and now Titanfall. Not a single issue what so ever. So it's not like I am pampering it. lol

=/

Well it does for me since most games use 4 cores at most and the 8350 totally gets beat by quad core intel cpus like the i5 4670k and higher.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Well it does for me since most games use 4 cores at most and the 8350 totally gets beat by quad core intel cpus like the i5 4670k and higher.

Most old games, games like Watch Dogs and The Division were said to require at least 6 cores for the best experience, games using Frostbite 3 also use as many cores as you'll give them...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Most old games, games like Watch Dogs and The Division were said to require at least 6 cores for the best experience, games using Frostbite 3 also use as many cores as you'll give them...

most games out now still use max 4 cores. yes there are a few exceptions but thats very few games.

Specs of my PC:

What GPU are you going to pair it with?  Or put another way, what games are you looking to be able to play?    The price of the 8320 in the UK has dropped to £104 on amazon.  Not much that can touch it from a value perspective apart from maybe a 6300

I'm going to have to admit the H100i is not enough to cool a 8350 for gaming its fine but when your stress testing or even video rendering you need a bit more rad I'd suggest getting a h320 if you can fit it in your case and if you can get one in Canada as there banned from the states

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

most games out now still use max 4 cores. yes there are a few exceptions but thats very few games.

Crysis 3 thats it. BF4 does only take advantage of 6. Anyways 6 cores of a 8320 orsomething is still behind an i5.

Theres no point these days to go with amd within a budget of 150-300$. Corecount is nothing more than a stupid gimmick, you're nothing with them for gaming.