Threadripper Pro non-OEM availability?

Currently, Threadripper Pro is exclusive to OEMs. However, I remember from back in July 2020, when it was announced, some media were saying that it may become a regular, freely available product by December 2020 (just one example, heise.de - a German IT site).

Does anybody have any further insides or found some more up-to-date news / announcements about it, i.e. if and when this might actually happen?

pro is only for businesses and pros who need more security than you that is why it is only available on oems

4 minutes ago, Mohammad Saleh said:

pro is only for businesses and pros who need more security than you that is why it is only available on oems

but that doesn't make any sense. AMD's real pro chips, the EPYC series, are available to the general consumers aswell. Why lock us out of something?

No, it's not only security, I am afraid. Please check the datasheets / specifications. If directly compared, a "normal" Zen-2 Threadripper can handle up at 256G RAM over 4 channels. No support for RDIMMs or LRDIMMs. A Zen-2 Epyc at an equivalent number of cores can handle around 2T of memory (i.e. RDIMMs and LRDIMMs) over 8 channels - but has lower clock speeds than a Threadripper (usually roughly a 1 GHz difference). That's the "tradeoff".

Threadripper PRO is right in the middle: You get the high clock speeds of Threadripper AND the memory support (both in absolute size and number of channels) of Epyc CPUs. That's the key - no more tradeoff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Linus' folks made a video about this topic 🙂

March is the answer.