MSI MPG Z390 + i5 9600k wont post

Bidgbob
Go to solution Solved by Braini,

Updating the BIOS does not void any warranty. The mainboard vendor would probably even advise you to do it if you would contact their support I guess. I would assume that there is an option in the BIOS for updating it and if you are connected to the internet via ethernet cable it might autodetect and download the newest version. If not just follow the instructions of MSI in this youtube video: 

Hey,

Have been watching LTT for a long time but this is my first forum post. Hopefully wont be the last (In a good way)

I've recently decided to upgrade my old AMD Fx 8120 chipset and pretty much everything in my board apart from the graphics card (plan to get a 3070 when its realistically possible)

I recently upgraded to:

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming edge AC

(Old) AMD R7 470

i5 9600k

Corsair Vengance DDR4 LPX 8GB x 2 3600Mhz

NZXT Kraken M22

WD Blue 500GB Nvme

By all account the install the upgrade went well until it came time to post

I've found the EZ Debug lights on the right side, regardless of me removing and trying different RAM slots the lights flicker between CPU and DRAM debug (See video)

Now the MSI manual isn't really that clear it just tells you what the lights relate to but doesn't give you any info on what that actually means

I've also tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in.

Can anyone help?

The ram might not be supported. Do you have a friend's PC that you could borrow some ram from?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, Bidgbob said:

I've also tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in.

Leave the battery out for several minutes with the system unplugged. Then put it back in and try again.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Do you get the same behaviour if you remove the GPU and/or RAM (while all other devices like mouse, keyboard, monitors are disconnected)? If you have a little speaker that you can connect to the mainboard it would be also interesting to know what beep sequence you get.

Funnily enough, I built a rendering computer for the company I work for and theirs is 3200MHz RAM, it's sat right beside me as I'm working from home at the moment.

I've tried the CMOS but I'll give it another go and leave it out for longer. Just wanting to try the remove everything route first and I'll remove the CMOS after.

Strangely when I do that it's just the DRAM light on constant. There isn't any mention from the CPU light.

I've tried the RAM sticks in all configurations. Maybe 3600Mhz isn't compatible out of the box?

Good point I never really thought of that. I assumed most motherboards supported most types of ram these days.

As far as I can see my Ram isnt on the list CMK16GX4M2D3600C18

But the ram in the computer next to me is! So I think its worth a try (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

In terms of BIOS flashing because I've shifted platforms and from a processor that is like 8 years old at this point I'm out of luck CPU wise with BIOS flashing.

UNLESS you know of a way to flash the BIOS on these MSI boards without a CPU. Never really got into BIOS flashing.

Also thanks for taking the time to help me on this guys, this is appreciated very much

1 hour ago, Braini said:

I think you can check here if your RAM is supported: https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#support-mem-3

However, If it is not listed there that does not mean that your RAM is really not supported. If your Mainboard supports flashing the BIOS via USB stick I would also try that.

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The ram might not be supported. Do you have a friend's PC that you could borrow some ram from?

Thanks both for your help I tested the other RAM and it doesn't work with both sticks

However, if I leave only one stick in on the 4th slot then the pc posts to bios completely fine. (Besides the initial reset it needs to do to train the memory)

If I attempt to put anything in the second slot at the same time though the board wont take it and resorts back to the Debug code.

Do you think this is a faulty board? 

5 minutes ago, Bidgbob said:

However, if I leave only one stick in on the 4th slot then the pc posts to bios completely fine. (Besides the initial reset it needs to do to train the memory)

You might want to try a BIOS update

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Will any of this have any impact on warranty etc?

I literally received the parts today, I don't want to do something wrong a mess everything up, then not be able to return the board

Also any pointers on how to go about this?

Updating the BIOS does not void any warranty. The mainboard vendor would probably even advise you to do it if you would contact their support I guess. I would assume that there is an option in the BIOS for updating it and if you are connected to the internet via ethernet cable it might autodetect and download the newest version. If not just follow the instructions of MSI in this youtube video: 

27 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Very much agreed and no it wont void the warrant.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Just been on the phone to eBuyer to double check and they said that if I update the BIOS and the motherboard bricks then I wont have a warranty to go back on

Surely that isn't right?

Just now, Bidgbob said:

Just been on the phone to eBuyer to double check and they said that if I update the warranty and the motherboard bricks then I wont have a warranty to go back on

Surely that isn't right?

Don't tell them you updated the BIOS, they can't know. That's also bogus, updating the BIOS is part of the intended function of the board and is covered by manufacturer warranty

Primary PC:

Well crap, now they do know because I requested an RMA over the phone. So the details will be on there that I suggested updating the bios?

Is it worth the risk at this point? Apparently turn around times are 3 - 5 working days

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Don't tell them you updated the BIOS, they can't know. That's also bogus, updating the BIOS is part of the intended function of the board and is covered by manufacturer warranty

Agreed 100%

Dont tell them you did it, its a normal function to update the bios. Doing so (correctly) is a common practice and its shameful for them to use this as an out to a warranty claim.

And you asked about it, you didnt say "i did this".

So tell them that due to their advice not to, you did not do it. End of story on that.

I dont like to lie to support reps, but when companies attempt to avoid warranty claims with things like this, well, i lie away.

I would update the bios and test, and if nogo, send it back to them.

Hell, if its new enough, simply return it and order a new one?

Also, whats the part number for your ram so we can verify its qualified on the sytem?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

I'm hearing you all, I did arguably a more stupid move and in true LTT fashion miraculously it worked.

I needed to take a photo of the pins for the RMA and noticed that one of the bottom pins was bent. I carefully used a scalpel blade (I guess I'm alright with them after a few years working with them most days) I pushed the pin back into 'rough' formation and it works. All into the BIOS and enabled XMP up to 3600Mhz.

Fingers crossed it's a permanent fix  and there aren't any nasty surprises later down the line. I'm hoping that the fact that it's in now and I wont be removing the CPU until it's time to upgrade again, will mean this is more on the permanent side.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you. Very much appreciated. It's none of your jobs to do this but you helped me anyway and helped me turn what could've been a crap day into a great one

All the best!

1 hour ago, Bidgbob said:

I carefully used a scalpel blade

Next time use a toothpick if you can.

Less chance of damaging the pin.

But hey, fixed is fixed.

I have straitened pins on mobos and cpu's before with good luck. 

I have a machine in use right now that i had to straighten 5 pins on after the cpu was dropped on the socket.

It worked for 5+ years now. Good little machine.

Family machines