Modded Wii, USB drive, Fat32 or NTFS? (or exFAT?)

asheenlevrai

Hi :)

I recently modded my Wii and installed a few emulators (SNES, N64, MAME, NeoGeoCD, ...) as well as tools allowing to play GC and Wii games from USB.

However, I am wondering what is the best choice regarding the file format of that USB drive.

I'm planning to store as much as possible (games, saves but maybe also homebrew apps if that is possible) on an external USB drive, leaving as little as possible on the SD card.

Almost everybody recommends using FAT32 with its inherent limitations and inconveniences.

However, when I searched for USB loaders I found out about the widespread USBLoaderGX (FAT32 only?) as well as alternatives supporting NTFS like CFG USB Loader or WiiFlow.

Most of the information I encounter is several years old now, for obvious reasons. I was wondering what is the current best practice but also the latest options.

Also if NTFS is possible for Wii games but not for GC (Nintendont) or emulator games, it would mean I need 2 different partitions (or 2 USB drives) and I am not sure this would be convenient (what is the least inconvenient compromise?). Or can everything work with an NTSC partition?

Thank you very much in advance for your help (remember I'm a noob, so excuse my ignorance).

Best,

-a-

PS: IS exFAT an option at all in this case? Apparently Nintendont can handle exFAT but I don't know about the other apps

21 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

Hi :)

I recently modded my Wii and installed a few emulators (SNES, N64, MAME, NeoGeoCD, ...) as well as tools allowing to play GC and Wii games from USB.

However, I am wondering what is the best choice regarding the file format of that USB drive.

I'm planning to store as much as possible (games, saves but maybe also homebrew apps if that is possible) on an external USB drive, leaving as little as possible on the SD card.

Almost everybody recommends using FAT32 with its inherent limitations and inconveniences.

However, when I searched for USB loaders I found out about the widespread USBLoaderGX (FAT32 only?) as well as alternatives supporting NTFS like CFG USB Loader or WiiFlow.

Most of the information I encounter is several years old now, for obvious reasons. I was wondering what is the current best practice but also the latest options.

Also if NTFS is possible for Wii games but not for GC (Nintendont) or emulator games, it would mean I need 2 different partitions (or 2 USB drives) and I am not sure this would be convenient (what is the least inconvenient compromise?). Or can everything work with an NTSC partition?

Thank you very much in advance for your help (remember I'm a noob, so excuse my ignorance).

Best,

-a-

Here ya go...

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

This site is a full softmod tutorial including how to setup the various launchers. IIRC some of them require a CIOS to be installed to access games from a USB drive but its been a long time since I messed with a Wii and my memory is pretty fuzzy on the topic.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Here ya go...

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

This site is a full softmod tutorial including how to setup the various launchers. IIRC some of them require a CIOS to be installed to access games from a USB drive but its been a long time since I messed with a Wii and my memory is pretty fuzzy on the topic.

Yeah this is one of the guides I am currently reading.