Current Console Generation and DisplayPort Gaming Monitors?

Stormed

I completely understand that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p right out the box and it'll come later down the line, and I also understand that the PS5 needs an HDMI 2.1 cable in order to achieve the advertised 120 FPS in select titles, but what's the story with slightly older or current gaming monitors that use DisplayPort? As far as I know, almost all high-end gaming monitors rely on DisplayPort to achieve its refresh rate on PC's, but will most likely have a standard HDMI port as an alternative. Hypothetically speaking, will a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 (if that exists) cable resolve this? My uneducated assumption would be that it only convert the video, but will not benefit at all with the bandwidth to achieve this.

I'd like to hear any input if you'd believe this could be possible or other workarounds? I'm going hard on the assumption that there is some sort of way to do this, since the majority of accessible displays with outputs above 120hz would typically be a gaming monitor. I feel like it would be extremely odd if Sony or Microsoft completely alienates gaming monitors from working and only focusing on the high-end 4K UHD 120hz TV's that have been recently emerging.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Stormed said:

I completely understand that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p right out the box and it'll come later down the line, and I also understand that the PS5 needs an HDMI 2.1 cable in order to achieve the advertised 120 FPS in select titles, but what's the story with slightly older or current gaming monitors that use DisplayPort? As far as I know, almost all high-end gaming monitors rely on DisplayPort to achieve its refresh rate on PC's, but will most likely have a standard HDMI port as an alternative. Hypothetically speaking, will a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 (if that exists) cable resolve this? My uneducated assumption would be that it only convert the video, but will not benefit at all with the bandwidth to achieve this.

I'd like to hear any input if you'd believe this could be possible or other workarounds? I'm going hard on the assumption that there is some sort of way to do this, since the majority of accessible displays with outputs above 120hz would typically be a gaming monitor. I feel like it would be extremely odd if Sony or Microsoft completely alienates gaming monitors from working and only focusing on the high-end 4K UHD 120hz TV's that have been recently emerging.

a hdmi 2.1 to displayport 1.4 cable would do this! do they exist.. probably! have I googled it, no!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 5:59 AM, Stormed said:

Conversion cables are not recommended, unless it's a legacy one and it's just for a basic connection.  Trying to get high/top-end performance isn't recommended w/conversions, since they often're made cheaply and don't work correctly.  Pure connection w/out compromise is recommended.  There isn't a DP on PS5/XB:S-X|S, but the generation after, if made due to competition and an improvement refresh, might have it to keep up.

Many people have monitors that have DP 1.4, since it's an older designation, so it would assist w/fixing the issue.  Many people don't even watch TV anymore, but just stream on monitors, while multi-tasking on their computer.  It's a big reason as to why ISPs are in retailers and their own stores, such as Verizon Wireless for FiOS.  This demand might make them refresh to DP and streamline it, but it does cost them extra, since it's owned by another company.  Similar as to how Microsoft has to give money to Sony for every Blu-ray they sell, since BR is owned by Sony.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

On 11/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Stormed said:

HDMI 2.0 can do 240Hz at 1080p. However the PS5 doesn't support Freesync so that's great...

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?