XPS 13 9310 (11th Gen i7)

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a new XPS 13. I went with the Core i7-1165G7, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, FHD touch screen. It's a beautiful machine and has a really solid feel. The keyboard is actually larger than my last laptop (Lenovo Yoga Pro 900) while the actual size of the machine is considerably smaller.

So as I was sitting here setting it up, installing updates, uninstalling crap I didn't need, etc. and this thing got TOASTY. The bottom got so hot I couldn't even hold my hand against it for more than a few seconds. It was sitting on the arm of my couch so airflow wasn't the best, but all of the ventilation is on the back edge and I certainly wasn't blocking all of it. Even resting one corner of it on my leg was painfully hot, and I finally just sat it on a flat surface and kept it there, visiting it occasionally to do the next update. I also update the bios during this time.

The keyboard feels great, not much travel but the effort of key presses is dialed in pretty well and is consistent across the keys. The touchpad feels great and is very responsive. 16:10 display is sexy, and it's nice to have Windows Hello.

I'll use it more over the next few days and see what I think. I am concerned about usability with as much heat as it generates. It's only a 4 core CPU, after all. Do you think this is normal? I may have to actually return it if this heat is a persistent issue with normal use.

So far it's good news. The BIOS update apparently addressed the power/cooling plans and I've been running it about and hour and a half comfortably.

Well after some time has passed, I can say that I'm very happy with this machine.

Somehow dbrand doesn't have "enough demand" to make skins for this one. I ordered one from the early 2020 version right after buying the laptop, as I understand the chassis is identical. Not sure why it took them a week to respond to my compatibility question.

11 hours ago, Z3R0 CHANC3 said:

Well after some time has passed, I can say that I'm very happy with this machine.

Somehow dbrand doesn't have "enough demand" to make skins for this one. I ordered one from the early 2020 version right after buying the laptop, as I understand the chassis is identical. Not sure why it took them a week to respond to my compatibility question.

That's good to know. I was reading and worried that the heat was an endemic problem rather than just a firmware glitch.