3800x overclock questions

Larry85

Hello I have Ryzen 3800x, msi gaming plus, 3600 32gb of memory and and corsair h115 AIO cooler. I get 4.4 ghz stock boost clock around 65c.under full load it drops to around 4.2ghz. I have tried all core overclocking before and could only get 4.5ghz with around 1.42v and got a little nervous. So my question how far can i go? Iv googled it and people say not to go over 1.3ish volts. Over that they can get damaged.. blah blah. vcore runs about 1.4 and above all the time.  I know ryzen doesn't overclock well hoping i could get some insight and learn a little. What are your thoughts? Iv tried under volt but don't really see the point. Thanks in advance.

You could see what CTR thinks, there's usually not a lot of performance headroom, but often can lower the voltage by a good margin. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1.42V is pretty high for a static OC for 3rd gen from what I know. Most chips don't reach their single-core stock turbos with static overclocking on safe voltages, so it's generally better just to leave them stock.

On the other hand, memory overclocking on Ryzen is hugely beneficial and carries very few risks, so if you want to squeeze out some performance, it's worth giving that a try.

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

You could see what CTR thinks, there's usually not a lot of performance headroom, but often can lower the voltage by a good margin. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html

Iv tried it. My cpu does not like it. It undervolts fine but crashes during over clocking every time.

2 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

1.42V is pretty high for a static OC for 3rd gen from what I know. Most chips don't reach their single-core stock turbos with static overclocking on safe voltages, so it's generally better just to leave them stock.

On the other hand, memory overclocking on Ryzen is hugely beneficial and carries very few risks, so if you want to squeeze out some performance, it's worth giving that a try.

Why is it safe to run boosted clocks at around 1.4 Volts but not a all core over clock? The max is 1.5. I know More volts = more heat so I would think that staying under the 95c and being stable shouldn’t matter what the volts are. I’m just trying to understand the difference. My aio cooler compared to stock lowered the temp by 20c If I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, Larry85 said:

Why is it safe to run boosted clocks at around 1.4 Volts but not a all core over clock? The max is 1.5. I know More volts = more heat so I would think that staying under the 95c and being stable shouldn’t matter what the volts are. I’m just trying to understand the difference. My aio cooler compared to stock lowered the temp by 20c If I remember correctly.

The stock boosting algorithm allows up to 1.5V but only in very short bursts so that the silicon doesn't get that hot internally-- running high voltage continually tends to create internal "hotspots" that are too small to be picked up by the chip's sensors but still can do damage.

2 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

The stock boosting algorithm allows up to 1.5V but only in very short bursts so that the silicon doesn't get that hot internally-- running high voltage continually tends to create internal "hotspots" that are too small to be picked up by the chip's sensors but still can do damage.

I have not messed with the memory overclocking at all. Do I just change the axmp profile to a higher speed?