i need help how do I uninstall edge.exe

samstrutz

hi I'm trying to delete Microsoft edge and it wont let me i tried everything but still no solution i just want to know if any of you would be able to help me out in deleting this weird thing Microsoft has made so difficult to delete. it somehow turned its self into a .exe and i have to build codes for it idk how of what is up with it i just it gone i use chrome because, well google. you all know, but if someone could please help me in my mission to delete edge i would appreciate the help thank you and remember shop lttstore.com (not sponsored just thought it would be funny) oh and i used control panel, PowerShell, cmd, and tried through the settings 

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

Don't quote me on this. But I think you can't 'cause it's part of the OS and why do you wanted to uninstalled it anyways???

It's actually quite helpful when your other browser chocked up

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

9 minutes ago, samstrutz said:

i just want it gone 

Is there any reason?

12 minutes ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Don't quote me on this. But I think you can't 'cause it's part of the OS and why do you wanted to uninstalled it anyways???

It's actually quite helpful when your other browser chocked up

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

HAHA Funny

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

Install Ubuntu. Even if you manage to remove edge, Microsoft is is constant pushing it back through OS updates.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

you can't remove edge tbh 

I have tried about a billion times in the past 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

4 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Install Ubuntu. Even if you manage to remove edge, Microsoft is is constant pushing it back through OS updates.

What if he plays games? Proton can’t cover every game neither lutris

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 hours ago, samstrutz said:

trying to delete Microsoft edge

You cant, its part of the OS (again).

Removing it very well may break things.

Set chrome to default, delete the icons, and ignore it.

That's what i do when i install an OS and i never really see it again.

Even when i browse lttstore.com. 😉

And even if you do remove it, updates will put it back.

Watch for an antitrust lawsuit against M$ again for this. They were literally sued for doing this with Internet Explorer, and it amazes me the are doing it again.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Have you tried using the "Turn Features On/Off"?  You could also try some fancy TakeOwns but that's risky and this post is already too long to explain it.

This might have changed since the move to chromium, but you can disable it using the AppLocker Group Policy here:

"Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Application Control policies\AppLocker\Packaged app Rules"

You can also stop it from starting on boot in the Group Policy Editor.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Edge
Allow Microsoft Edge to pre-launch at Windows startup, when the system is idle, and each time Microsoft Edge is closed

If you have Win10 Home then you'll need to use the registry (Backups Backups Backups!)

Make a key called "MicrosoftEdge"  in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft"

Then make a key called "Main" inside the "MicrosoftEdge" key before creating a DWORD "AllowPrelaunch" with value 0

Now make an "AllowTabPreloading" DWORD with 0 under the "MicrosoftEdge" key.

Restart.

If you want to revert the changes either import your backup or undo everything including the deletion of the "MicrosoftEdge" key.

And of course if you really don't like edge there's always a penguin waiting with open arms ; )

1 minute ago, Rosette said:

Have you tried using the "Turn Features On/Off"? 

FYI, this is no longer an option.

And the rest of the solutions will be undone with the next update that has anything related to Edge in it.

And you are just as likely to break something else trying to remove it from the OS, which will then cause more issues to deal with.

Removing Edge is a losing battle that will cost you more time and effort than its worth.

Hide it, ignore it and be done with it.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

18 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

FYI, this is no longer an option.

And the rest of the solutions will be undone with the next update that has anything related to Edge in it.

And you are just as likely to break something else trying to remove it from the OS, which will then cause more issues to deal with.

Removing Edge is a losing battle that will cost you more time and effort than its worth.

Hide it, ignore it and be done with it.

I do agree that outright deleting the files may be something reserved for unimportant VMs.

There are a multitude of ways to disable updates however, and each version has an EOL of about a year and a half meaning one would only need to repeat steps once every year or so.  One could easily make a script that runs at startup to check to see if there's been an update and changes settings accordingly, though I would recommend adding a dialogue to choose a method as some of these may change from version to version.

6 hours ago, Kanna said:

What if he plays games? Proton can’t cover every game neither lutris

OP asked how to remove Edge. I gave them an option that still involves a current OS. Proton has played every game I've tried except Catherine, regardless.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

7 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

OP asked how to remove Edge. I gave them an option that still involves a current OS. Proton has played every game I've tried except Catherine, regardless.

Yeah but how does it handle non steam games that require launchers? (For own purpose this time)

Reminder⚠️