Looking to upgrade an old build

surus

Budget (including currency): 600 CHF

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Only work, no rendering of any kind or graphical work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current build:
CPU: Intel core i3-4170 3.7GhZ
GPU: AMD Radeon (TN) R9380 Series
MOBO: Asrock b85m pro 3
RAM: 8gb DDR3, Crucial (Crucial BLS 4G3D 1609DS1500)

Now I am looking to upgrade this build since (about once a day) I get a green screen and my system crashes. I tried troubleshooting it a bit but am not that experienced and it didn't lead anywhere. It's also a bit harder to judge since the greenscreens aren't happening regularly.
Anyways what would I be looking to upgrade? What should I go with first? Better RAM? CPU? Even mobo?

Thank you in advance

I'd start with a new CPU and MOBO. A big-boy GPU isn't needed if this is only a work PC.

What kind of PSU do you gave?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 3,6 GHz  | MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max | G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3600MHz CL18 RGB | Intel 660p 1TBGigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G | Corsair TX550M V2 PSU | Fractal Design Focus G Black | Windows 10 Pro X64

51 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Not worth it, ryzen is too cheap and used prices too high

What do you mean with this?

13 minutes ago, surus said:

What do you mean with this?

The cost to upgrade is not worth the performance gain compared with new stuff.

--> your your stuff except maybe gpu and storage and buy a ryzen board, cpu and ram.

9 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The cost to upgrade is not worth the performance gain compared with new stuff.

--> your your stuff except maybe gpu and storage and buy a ryzen board, cpu and ram.

So your recommendation would be new MOBO AM4 format with a new Ryzen cpu?

4 minutes ago, surus said:

So your recommendation would be new MOBO AM4 format with a new Ryzen cpu?

I myself have a 4th gen PC (i7 4790k and I did not notice any difference from better RAM

The best cpu you could get is a i7 4790k which you might not be able to overclock with this board but even a ryzen r5 3600 is better for workloads due to more cores.

You could get 16 GB DDR3 for 60 € used on ebay but it will only increase the size, you won´t see a speed difference in real life even if you buy better one.

1 hour ago, surus said:

Budget (including currency): 600 CHF

I am not from the Switzerland 😻 but I believe the prices are pretty high in Switzerland. If you really want to upgrade go with used cpu and ram as they do not degrade and rarely break. 

I don't know how the used market is in your country, but I would recommend upgrading to a 4th gen i5 or i7. Most games still run fine on 4 cores.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

if your interested I got a bundle. 2700X, Crosshair VII Hero, 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4, Trident Z RGB 3200mhz CL14 (Samsung B die), Noctua NH-D15 w/ chromax front plates/logo color change. Fractal Design Focus G white case ATX, PM me if your interested. I can ship from Denmark

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Woops double post

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.