Looking at getting away from Corsair keyboard and mouse

Sarra

I've used Corsair K70 and M65 keyboards and mice since 2009. I've had around 8 keyboards with Cherry MX Red switches, and one with Cherry MX Blue switches, and while I like the Red, and I LOVE the blue, iCUE is killing it for me. The keyboard I'm currently using, the one with the Blue switches, doesn't have RGB, the mouse is a M65 RGB, and I find it to be difficult to use without iCUE, I prefer to have a single, solid color, and without iCUE, it does rainbow puke, and the keyboard does the max brightness wave effect, even though it's not RGB.

So, I'm looking for a replacement mechanical keyboard, preferably with tactile or clicky switches, and a replacement mouse. I may already have the mouse, Logitec G602, so it's mostly the keyboard that I'm hung up on. I have a budget of around $150 for the keyboard, and I think the mouse is like $20, so not a huge deal.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If you want a prebuilt and you like cherry switches you should check out ducky or durgod offering. 

If you would like to test some switches then I would suggest a hotswappable board like the glorious gmmk (offered in full size, tkl and 60% ... if you want another solid 60% then the keymove snowfox is a beast) ... and since you like clicky switches I would suggest you try some kailh box white or box navy ... trust me it's way more satisfying than the cherry mx blue. 

Also I don't use software to control my keyboard of mouse so I can't really comment on the glorious software ... I don't really like rgb and the lighting is always off on my keyboard.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

I prefer a red backlight, to make it easier to see the keyboard at night. I also have the room and prefer full keyboards, including the 10key.

I'll take a peek at the Ducky, it's been a long time since I looked at them.

I like the Ducky, but... I would prefer a keyboard with a 10key. 😧 I can't seem to find one with a full standard layout...

On 11/16/2020 at 11:28 PM, Sarra said:

I like the Ducky, but... I would prefer a keyboard with a 10key. 😧 I can't seem to find one with a full standard layout...

I believe Ducky Shine has full layouts I have a shine 5 and will never go back to anything but Ducky. Yeah can't find a shine 6 in stock....

On 11/17/2020 at 5:28 AM, Sarra said:

The GMMK is available as a full size, with both ANSI and ISO variants. It's hot swappable, so you can use actually good switches, instead of being stuck to Cherry MX (unless you want to desolder each switch and solder on new ones). For clicky switches, check out Kailh Box clicky switches, for tactile switches, check out Zealios, and Durock T1 (and variants). The GMMK is definitely not perfect, but it seems to have the what you want, and you can experiment with different switches, if you want in the future.

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

The GMMK is available as a full size, with both ANSI and ISO variants. It's hot swappable, so you can use actually good switches, instead of being stuck to Cherry MX (unless you want to desolder each switch and solder on new ones). For clicky switches, check out Kailh Box clicky switches, for tactile switches, check out Zealios, and Durock T1 (and variants). The GMMK is definitely not perfect, but it seems to have the what you want, and you can experiment with different switches, if you want in the future.

Yeah, I saw some Ducky boards were available with the Kailh switches, and may go for one of those. I'm still looking at what's available, I'm not pulling the trigger just yet.

13 hours ago, Sarra said:

Oooh, thanks. ;D I looked on that website before, but for some reason, that didn't come up...

I have purchased from them and my friends some are back ordered with cherries but it will come

5 hours ago, Defiantone07 said:

I have purchased from them and my friends some are back ordered with cherries but it will come

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry to order anything. Eventually, I want to get away from iCUE, though.

I advise heavily against the G602. I had four of them in one year; three of them had the middle mouse button die, the other developed a double-click issue. Amazon is also filled with people saying the same thing, going through 2-3 mice in 1-2 years, all of them having MMB failure (80% of cases) and LMB double-click issues (20% of cases).

It's a trash mouse if you use MMB in any way, shape, or form. I mean, on the first one, the middle mouse button died two weeks after purchasing it, 80 minutes into a video game where I use it a lot.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

5 hours ago, n0stalghia said:

I advise heavily against the G602. I had four of them in one year; three of them had the middle mouse button die, the other developed a double-click issue. Amazon is also filled with people saying the same thing, going through 2-3 mice in 1-2 years, all of them having MMB failure (80% of cases) and LMB double-click issues (20% of cases).

It's a trash mouse if you use MMB in any way, shape, or form. I mean, on the first one, the middle mouse button died two weeks after purchasing it, 80 minutes into a video game where I use it a lot.

Huh. I've had mine for 3 years, albeit very lightly used, but it's giving me no issues.

Is there an alternative? I would prefer wired, but at this point, as long as it either has rechargeable batteries or the batteries last forever and a day, I don't really care.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

Huh. I've had mine for 3 years, albeit very lightly used, but it's giving me no issues.

Is there an alternative? I would prefer wired, but at this point, as long as it either has rechargeable batteries or the batteries last forever and a day, I don't really care.

I honestly haven't found one I could recommend. I went from the Logitech debacle to a Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless. It had the same issues, albeit lasted like 2 months longer - first the Middle Mouse Button died, then the Left Mouse Button started double-clicking. At this point I RMA'd it. The second Ironclaw RGB survived a lot longer; whole 6 months I believe. On that one, the LMB started double clicking after intense use (in my case, I play a game of Dota once every like 2 months, and the second time I did it started the LMB issue). I put up with it for two months before finally this Wednesday the mouse wheel just... stopped registering. Instead of a normal scroll it became like those Logitech infinite scroll mice, only without actually registering the scrolls. I took it apart to try to repair it, but no dice. 

Ordered a SteelSeries Rival 600 based off a thread on /r/Dota2 where a lot of people said that their Rival 600 survived 2-3 years of actual use in Dota, so rather heavy load (the thread was started by my comment about my experience with G602, a lot of people shared it, too). We'll see how long it lasts.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

My Corsair mice have all been replaced due to scroll wheel failures; Usually it's the scroll itself that fails, but they have massively improved the quality of the scroll wheel sensor and components over the last 10 years.

I have a Razer Nostromo, I can't even guess when I bought it, but the entire thing, minus one switch, works fine still, including the scroll wheel.

I guess I'll keep looking for a mouse, then, I guess... Maybe I'll swap out one M65 and run the G602 until it has problems, though I really only use the G602 with my laptop.

Edit: I did run a Corsair Scimitar for about 2 years. It was comfortable, and I enjoyed the 12 extra buttons, but I only ever used around 4-6 at any given time, and obviously when playing FPS games, I really only used two of the side buttons. I found myself constantly switching back to the M65 for FPS, then switching back to Scimitar for MMO's. But, I don't play MMO's anymore, since I realized I was having problems with spending habits.

I have a g305 and I'm quite satisfied with it, no issue at all and it's turning one really soon.  I like the wireless and no rgb ... but now glorious have a model o wireless and I would like to try it ... even tho I really don't need another mouse ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD