RTX 3070 vs PS5

Denolan Moodley

Hi so I'm genuinely torn as to which to choose and here's why

I really only play a few games a year around 5.

Based on the last year its been Warzone and multiplayer, Bloodborne, AC Odessessy, AOE 2 DE, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

So I've seen benchmarks of games run on the PS5 and on RTX 3070 and it appears that for most games run at 60fps at 4k on PS5 which is roughly what the RTX 3070 can achieve.

I will mostly play at 60fps and 4k as I play on TV and don't really want to get a monitor.

My build for a PC would've been a

Ryzen 5 3600

16gb DDR4

RTX 3070

In terms of pricing in South Africa the PS5 is roughly 750 USD and the PC would be about 1250 USD.

So is PS5 crazy optimised such that it makes up for its weaker GPU compared to RTX 3070 ?

Can anybody give some insight on which to choose and why ?

it depend on what kind of games tbh. 

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

7 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

it depend on what kind of games tbh. 

Sorry supposed to message the above as a reply

look at benchmark and decided.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

17 minutes ago, Denolan Moodley said:

So is PS5 crazy optimised such that it makes up for its weaker GPU compared to RTX 3070 ?

Can anybody give some insight on which to choose and why ?

PS5 is definitely the easier option, since there's no need to mess with drivers or anything and games already have their settings configured for it. If you just want simplicity and convenience, PS5 is certainly a good option. A PC with RTX 3070 technically gives you a lot more leeway in tuning everything to your liking, but it's just simply not as convenient.

You'll have to decide for yourself how much convenience matters, I'd say.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Depends on preferences..

Just touching on Graphics and not orher features..

Not all Console games will be Ultraspec so they CAN hit such 120fps modes.. and compromises can happen, ala AC Valhalla isnt Native 4k and isn't Ultraspec for its 60fps modes.

3070 gets usually treated with Higher details in Benchmarks, but it also has access to Dynamics in games that support it for Higher frames as well.

Consoles are Tuned,..PC you tune yourself.

Would you notice without pixel peeping, probably not..

Thats why it depends on your preferences and games you play.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You'll have to decide for yourself how much convenience matters, I'd say.

I'd think people want optimal game play and more options, hence 3070 purchase, over limited console usage.

To each their own, only OP can delve deep inside and ponder life.

Just now, Orange1 said:

I'd think people want optimal game play and more options, hence 3070 purchase, over limited console usage.

That's very much a personal preference. I know a ton of people prefer consoles because they're so much more convenient. I, personally, prefer PCs, but I totally do not expect my preferences to match everyone else's.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'd build the pc for the sole reason of you have to pay for PS+ to play online, that shit adds up over the years. If you want something plug and play for a tv the console is the way to go. The PS5 isn't bad, I bought one just for the exclusive games but play everything else on pc

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Denolan Moodley said:

It just that optimized, you can watch Digital Foundry video on Watch Dog Legion. They used almost the same setting on the XBOX Series X and found that performance is equivalent to RTX 2060-ish with ray tracing enabled. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 hours ago, WereCatf said:

That's very much a personal preference.

Is not everything!