Main PC getting a quarter of the download speed of another PC

distributor101

Hey everyone,

Just moved into a new house. Using the good ole' Xfinity modem/router combo for gigabit internet (and unlimited data :))

The router/modem has Wifi 6 and the speed to the gateway is hitting well over 1Gbps.

I have a Cat6 cable running to an unmanaged PoE gigabit switch in the office.

I have changed the cable to the computer multiple times (3 cables, including 1 brand new one)

When I run the same test on a directly connected laptop, or my other pc i get speeds of up to 800-900 Mbps (thats what i am expecting), but when I run the test on my Main PC i am constantly getting 250 Mbps

My MoBo is a Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 and I have tried using both ethernet ports (with QoS turned off on the killer ethernet port)..

I have tried to resetting network settings of all kinds, just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I typically can figure out an issue on my own by researching this stuff myself, but I figured I would ask the community in the event someone has some bright ideas.

Note - before I left my last house I was consistently getting 600 Mbps. So.... Xfinity Gateway issue?? sounds like it, just dont know.

I was using a different router before when I did get those good speeds, though every other PC in the house is thriving off this Gigabit speeds. Even my phone is hitting 600 Mbps on Wifi 6, in the office with the door closed..(router not in office)

Thanks for reading and pondering

22 minutes ago, distributor101 said:

When I run the same test on a directly connected laptop, or my other pc i get speeds of up to 800-900 Mbps

--SNIP--

before I left my last house I was consistently getting 600 Mbps. So.... Xfinity Gateway issue?? sounds like it, just dont know.

Uh, no, not likely - if it were a problem with the Gateway/Modem you'd experience slow wired speeds on all devices. You've also ruled out the modem/gateway by running tests directly connected to it, so there's either a problem with your computer or your networking equipment.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Yea I understand that. I don't think its the networking equipment since all of it is basically new.

So it has to be the motherboard? Odd that the only thing that doesn't work the same on the pc is the network on the motherboard after a move, but everything else works just fine.

Just now, distributor101 said:

Yea I understand that. I don't think its the networking equipment since all of it is basically new.

So it has to be the motherboard? Odd that the only thing that doesn't work the same on the pc is the network on the motherboard after a move, but everything else works just fine.

Maybe the motherboard only has 2.5gb lan, if so that is why it is topped of at 250 Mbps

Try using a bootable linux usb to test the bandwidth from linux, that should eliminate a windows problem.

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

Maybe the motherboard only has 2.5gb lan, if so that is why it is topped of at 250 Mbps

What? That doesn't make any sense, how did you come to that conclusion?

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Wait hold on this is confusing the hell out of me, if his motherboard is rated at 2.5gb lan, then theoretically shouldn't he be able to run up to 2.5gb speeds? I might be wrong but if so what you said doesn't make a lot of sense.

My only 2 recommendation would be either reinstalling your actual lan drivers, sometimes that works but it's not often. You could also trying doing a bios update if you don't have the most recent one, if you're not running the most recent one it could explain why you're running such slow speeds, other than that I can't exactly think of anything else you could try that you haven't done yet.

2 minutes ago, R3KL4W said:

Wait hold on this is confusing the hell out of me, if his motherboard is rated at 2.5gb lan, then theoretically shouldn't he be able to run up to 2.5gb speeds? I might be wrong but if so what you said doesn't make a lot of sense.

Theoretically yes, local transfers would have the potential to be 2.5Gb, though internet bandwidth would be limited by the internet plan so in this case 1Gbps.

Just now, The_russian said:

Theoretically yes, local transfers would have the potential to be 2.5Gb, though internet bandwidth would be limited by the internet plan so in this case 1Gbps.

Yeah okay, I was more or less just wondering how he came to the conclusion that if his board was rated at 2.5gb, he'd only be able to pull 250mbps regardless of his internet plan. But thank you for the clarification 

7 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Try using a bootable linux usb to test the bandwidth from linux, that should eliminate a windows problem.

I will give this a shot. Setting it up now.

2 minutes ago, R3KL4W said:

My only 2 recommendation would be either reinstalling your actual lan drivers, sometimes that works but it's not often. You could also trying doing a bios update if you don't have the most recent one, if you're not running the most recent one it could explain why you're running such slow speeds, other than that I can't exactly think of anything else you could try that you haven't done yet.

Yea.. you know whats odd. At my old house (so old router) I was having this issue where when ever I watched Youtube videos my network adapter just dropped connection.. But now that I have this new setup I am noticing thats not the case anymore. But I  bring this up because as I was troubleshooting that I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. So I don't know if I have to do that now.. but I could

8 hours ago, The_russian said:

Alright sorry about the wait... I have Intel RST enabled on my Mobo to use intel optane to help out my HDD i have. So i am getting an error when i try to boot from the USB. I was going to give it a shot looking for another way but its a little late now. Maybe tomorrow I can find a solution. Random addition though. I tested my speed again since then and it is not hitting 400-500 Mbps with a slight spike to 600 but nothing constant. So i have no idea what is happening, possibly a windows update...since I did just move this weekend. idk

4 hours ago, distributor101 said:

My MoBo is a Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 and I have tried using both ethernet ports (with QoS turned off on the killer ethernet port)..

Stick with the Intel LAN port and disable the Killer Control Center if you can. Have you updated the drivers for the Intel LAN chipset as well?

3 hours ago, distributor101 said:

I tested my speed again since then and it is not hitting 400-500 Mbps with a slight spike to 600 but nothing constant. So i have no idea what is happening, possibly a windows update...since I did just move this weekend. idk

What is the link speed being detected by Windows in the network adapter properties?

Is the gateway running any QoS? When you’re running tests, are you sure there are no other devices/resources consuming bandwidth at the same time?

5 hours ago, distributor101 said:

I have a Cat6 cable running to an unmanaged PoE gigabit switch in the office.

I have changed the cable to the computer multiple times (3 cables, including 1 brand new one)

What is the make/model of this switch? Have you tried plugging in the PC to another port?

Try running iPerf between the PC with the issue and another that doesn’t have the issue. What speed results do you get?

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Stick with the Intel LAN port and disable the Killer Control Center if you can. Have you updated the drivers for the Intel LAN chipset as well?

What is the link speed being detected by Windows in the network adapter properties?

Is the gateway running any QoS? When you’re running tests, are you sure there are no other devices/resources consuming bandwidth at the same time?

What is the make/model of this switch? Have you tried plugging in the PC to another port?

Try running iPerf between the PC with the issue and another that doesn’t have the issue. What speed results do you get?

Disabled the killer Control Center, updated the Intel Lan Chipset to the most recent for the Mobo. - No change 😕

Link speed is 1.00 Gbps Full Duplex - Auto negotiation

I don't see anything that has the option for QoS on my gateway. Also, yes there is streaming going on, but I also hopped on to 2 different computers to run the same test and got much better results, plus my wifi on my phone. I understand that if there is something consuming bandwidth my result will be lower.... but not 1 quarter of my total bandwidth..

The switch is - TP Link TL-SG1008P - Also yes, I have tried other ports, other cables, and other switches, they all have the same result.. which is why its possible its my computer somehow.

For the iperf results i got the following - receiver results

image.png.69b6e2a7d87ae86b21dda9615659b919.png

I did think this was weird because on the sender computer i got 1.09 GBytes for sender and receiver

@distributor101

The iperf results look good, so it’s unlikely the cable or the LAN itself. That’s why I thought about QoS at the router possibly being the cause. Since the network isn’t completely quiet when you’re running the speed test on your computer, can you try to see if it makes any difference if you’re the only one utilizing the network?

Do you notice the same limitation if you’re plugged straight into the primary router (i.e. bypassing the TP-Link switch)? I also noticed that the TP-Link switch you’re using has some built-in QoS/IPTV optimization features for enhancing VoIP/video calls/IPTV; are any of these features activated/deactivated?

BTW, is your PC the only one connecting through the TP-Link switch? Is any other device that is able to achive near-gigabit WAN speeds also connected to the switch?

@Falcon1986

I have an Cisco IP phone connected to the switch, running to a computer (that achieves near gigabit speeds), and then my PC. I have tried plugging in my laptop via usb-c to ethernet and it receives near gigabit speeds. But every time I do these tests the network is being utilized, it can just be at random times and they achieve that, then I double back to my PC and I get varying numbers. 

As for the switch I too saw the QoS features but its unmanaged so I don't think I can make any changes to it..