Seasonic PRIME 1300W Platinum Hybrid Mode

initramfs

Purchased a Seasonic PRIME 1300W Platinum PSU recently for my system (Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700XT), intending to take advantage of the hybrid mode for silence at idle/low load. However, when the PSU is placed in hybrid mode the fan spins up every 20~30 minutes or so for about 2~4 minutes when the system is idling creating a rather disruptive experience, given the rest of the system is effectively silent.

System power load during idle is 101±3W measured at the wall and the system is in an open-concept case (Thermaltake Core P5) so there shouldn't be a hot boxing issue for the PSU. The fan side of the PSU faces out. Ambient temperature at the intake of the PSU fan is 25 degC.

Apart from this periodic spinup every 20~30 minutes, the PSU fan effectively doesn't spin even under load (~400W at the wall) unless hit by a power virus workload (~650W at the wall). Non-hybrid mode works as normal with the fan running constantly.

I'm wondering if this is the intended mechanism of operation for hybrid mode and whether this could be considered a defect that has any grounds for a RMA.

It does sound weird, but contact Seasonic to see if you get a reply, otherwise RMA it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.