Overclocking i5-10600K

Just upgraded to an i5-10600K and wanted to overclock it. For the 1st test run, all I did was enable XMP, set my ratio to 50 to hit 5 Ghz, and left the voltage on auto. I noticed that my temps were hitting 90-92 degrees Celsius. What can I do to hit safe temps while hitting 5 GHz? Suggestions?

Build:

MB: MSI Z490-A PRO

CPU: Intel i5-10600K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black

GPU: MSI 3070 Ventus 3X OC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 2x16

PSU: Corsair RM 750

3 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

Just upgraded to an i5-10600K and wanted to overclock it. For the 1st test run, all I did was enable XMP, set my ratio to 50 to hit 5 Ghz, and left the voltage on auto. I noticed that my temps were hitting 90-92 degrees Celsius. What can I do to hit safe temps while hitting 5 GHz? Suggestions?

Build:

MB: MSI Z490-A PRO

CPU: Intel i5-10600K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black

GPU: MSI 3070 Ventus 3X OC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 2x16

PSU: Corsair RM 750

Reduce the voltage down to the minimum it needs to be stable. Voltage and temps are directly proportional with each other. If you reduce the voltage it should reduce your temps. Also you can use your fan curve to make it more effective if you want to at a cost of noise.

Just now, Rooked said:

Reduce the voltage down to the minimum it needs to be stable. Voltage and temps are directly proportional with each other. If you reduce the voltage it should reduce your temps. Also you can use your fan curve to make it more effective if you want to at a cost of noise.

What is a good voltage to start at? What interval should I use as I increase the voltage?

What's your voltage at? I'd say at 5Ghz, maybe around 1.4 - 1.5 V. Try reducing your voltage now by 0.2V or 0.1V until it's unstable, add a bit around 0.05V continuing until it's stable at 5Ghz for min temps, or you can try reducing instantly to 1.45V for faster and tuning it from there.

Just now, Rooked said:

What's your voltage at? I'd say at 5Ghz, maybe around 1.4 - 1.5 V. Try reducing your voltage now by 0.2V or 0.1V until it's unstable, add a bit around 0.05V continuing until it's stable at 5Ghz for min temps, or you can try reducing instantly to 1.45V for faster and tuning it from there.

This is moderately heavy overclocking though, I would honestly suggest just OC'ing it to 4.8Ghz and putting it at 1.3V - 1.35V

1 minute ago, Rooked said:

This is moderately heavy overclocking though, I would honestly suggest just OC'ing it to 4.8Ghz and putting it at 1.3V - 1.35V

Okay I'll try it right now. Thank you so much! I'm new at this. Don't wanna break any expensive parts...

2 minutes ago, Rooked said:

up to 1.4v is fine in my opinion

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

up to 1.4v is fine in my opinion

True but honestly I don't think it will bottleneck the 3070 with 4.8Ghz and 5.0Ghz, better safe than sorry.

4 minutes ago, Rooked said:

I've read some forums about overclocking the 10600K and they were talking about using an AVX Offset or something. Should I mess with that? Or should I just mess with the voltage?

1 minute ago, gnasnguyen said:

I've read some forums about overclocking the 10600K and they were talking about using an AVX Offset or something. Should I mess with that? Or should I just mess with the voltage?

Sorry, I'm not too sure about the AVX Offset. Maybe try and search around about it? I have had no issues with just increasing the voltage a bit over the stock one. But that's probably because my build is Ryzen, not Intel. 

10 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

It is optional

I never bothered except if you use programs that heavily use the avx instructions. I believe it is mostly used in rendering and programs like adobe premiere. I would not worry if you only game or stream

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

It is optional

I never bothered except if you use programs that heavily use the avx instructions. I believe it is mostly used in rendering and programs like adobe premiere. I would not worry if you only game or stream

Started off at 1.350 V and my temps are peaking at 86 degrees C right now while stressing it. But at least it's stable enough for me to reduce the voltage. I'll probably try 1.250 right now.

2 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

Started off at 1.350 V and my temps are peaking at 86 degrees C right now while stressing it. But at least it's stable enough for me to reduce the voltage

86°C is totally fine while stressing. That is to be expected. Intel shuts down at 100°C so you have quite a bit of room. Keep in mind that a stresstest is the worst possible case and not realistic in everyday use.

1.25v is way to low. You wont achieve a good oc this way.

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

86°C is totally fine while stressing. That is to be expected. Intel shuts down at 100°C so you have quite a bit of room. Keep in mind that a stresstest is the worst possible case and not realistic in everyday use.

1.25v is way to low. You wont achieve a good oc this way.

Even though I'm only peaking 71 degrees C? 

Just now, gnasnguyen said:

Even though I'm only peaking 70 degrees C? 

Should I try lower or leave this as my sweet spot?

4 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

Even though I'm only peaking 71 degrees C? 

Your choice by 71°C during a stresstest is way to low oc in my opinon. There is quite a bit more room. You should however only oc as much as you feel comfortable.

29 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

You ought to set that to zero. Yes, it will be harder to attain 5GHz/whatever, but it's better than downclocking whenever you see AVX2 loads. If you're OCing, do it properly.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Keep in mind that just running a stresstest for a few minutes stable means nothing. I have seen it fail after 24 hours.

for comparison:
My i7 7700k uses the same architecture and runs on 1.37v

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Keep in mind that just running a stresstest for a few minutes stable means nothing. I have seen it fail after 24 hours.

I will keep that in mind. I'll increase it to 1.3 and so forth if my computer fails. But for now I'm happy with 5 GHz at 1.250V! Thank you so much for you help. I appreciate it!

44 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

Leave the AVX offset to zero. Plenty of applications (including games) nowadays do utilise AVX instructions, and the offset will just negate most of the benefit you would've gotten out of your overclock, and could also negatively affect stability.

22 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

Even though I'm only peaking 70 degrees C? 

You haven't mentioned what you use for stress testing, so I'm going to go with Prime95.

If you're running P95 Small FFT, as long as you're not thermal throttling then I'd call that acceptable. If you do get into thermal throttling however (100C by default, I wouldn't go higher especially if you're not particularly experienced and I'm not sure if your motherboard allows for it anyway), then that's a fail, since it can also negatively affect stability.

59 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

What is a good voltage to start at? What interval should I use as I increase the voltage?

You could start at say 1.3V SET on the Vcore, if you plan on going for 5GHz. How much more/less voltage you need for that clock speed however, will depend on your particular CPU, since they all overclock differently. Also, go somewhere in the middle with the LLC (I think Medium is what MSI calls it in their BIOS). Avoid the "Extreme" LLC modes.

For a daily overclock, try staying under 1.4V on the Vcore, and under 1.3V on the VCCIO and VCCSA (those are related more to memory and cache overclocking though, and for just 3200MHz memory you're not going to need even close to 1.3V on those rails).

If you want a (very) extensive overclocking guide, I'd check out this video:

(this was on a Gigabyte board, so the BIOS won't be identical to yours, however the same basic principles apply)

der8auer has also got an overclocking guide, which is quite a bit shorter:

(overclocking is pretty much identical between Coffee Lake and Comet Lake)

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

43 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

It is optional

AVX are far more commonly found in applications nowadays. The vast majority of DX12 games for example do use AVX.

1 hour ago, Rooked said:

What's your voltage at? I'd say at 5Ghz, maybe around 1.4 - 1.5 V. 

1.5V for a daily overclock is... pretty sketchy, to say the least. Even on Comet Lake.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

AVX are far more commonly found in applications nowadays. The vast majority of DX12 games for example do use AVX.

1.5V for a daily overclock is... pretty sketchy, to say the least. Even on Comet Lake.

That's why I recommended him 1.3~ V, haha.

54 minutes ago, gnasnguyen said:

I will keep that in mind. I'll increase it to 1.3 and so forth if my computer fails. But for now I'm happy with 5 GHz at 1.250V! Thank you so much for you help. I appreciate it!

sure no problem, but I highly doubt that it is stable.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:32 AM, Mateyyy said:

Leave the AVX offset to zero. Plenty of applications (including games) nowadays do utilise AVX instructions, and the offset will just negate most of the benefit you would've gotten out of your overclock, and could also negatively affect stability.

You haven't mentioned what you use for stress testing, so I'm going to go with Prime95.

If you're running P95 Small FFT, as long as you're not thermal throttling then I'd call that acceptable. If you do get into thermal throttling however (100C by default, I wouldn't go higher especially if you're not particularly experienced and I'm not sure if your motherboard allows for it anyway), then that's a fail, since it can also negatively affect stability.

You could start at say 1.3V SET on the Vcore, if you plan on going for 5GHz. How much more/less voltage you need for that clock speed however, will depend on your particular CPU, since they all overclock differently. Also, go somewhere in the middle with the LLC (I think Medium is what MSI calls it in their BIOS). Avoid the "Extreme" LLC modes.

For a daily overclock, try staying under 1.4V on the Vcore, and under 1.3V on the VCCIO and VCCSA (those are related more to memory and cache overclocking though, and for just 3200MHz memory you're not going to need even close to 1.3V on those rails).

If you want a (very) extensive overclocking guide, I'd check out this video:

(this was on a Gigabyte board, so the BIOS won't be identical to yours, however the same basic principles apply)

der8auer has also got an overclocking guide, which is quite a bit shorter:

(overclocking is pretty much identical between Coffee Lake and Comet Lake)

"CPU Ratio Offset When Running AVX: [Auto]->[0]" Correct? What's the benefit of leaving it on 0 rather than Auto?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Interesting post, im running stable for 6 months at 5ghz 1.32v, without the need to mess about with AVX. Also running my memory at 4ghz C16. Gaming temps on any game average 50-60degrees. I suppose having a custom EKWB water-cooling solution helps alot. Never seen it go over 70d ever.