RAM - upgrade to 4 sticks!!! Dual/Quad channel kit question???

Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM. I've looked everywhere for the particular advice I need but I can't seem to find it.

I have a CPU and Motherboard capable of 'dual channel'. There are four DIMM slots on the Motherboard. I want four sticks of RAM (4x8GB). However, would it be best for me to buy 2x dual channel kits or 1x quad channel kit. I appreciate that the quad channel kit won't make it 'quad channel'. I was just curious as to whether it would be a better option knowing that all 4 sticks are rated together???

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

Matt - UK

What components are you using, and why are you specifically looking to get a 4x8GB kit instead of 2x16GB?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

As far as I know, generally speaking

4 sticks of SINGLE RANK memory and 2 sticks of DUAL RANK memory is best

Followed by 2 single rank memory

I don't know about 4 sticks of dual rank memory

5800X - EVGA CLC 360 - MSI MEG X570 Unify - TForce Xtreem Argb 32gb [16x2] 3600Mhz CL14 - Colorful iGame 3090 Advanced OC 24gb - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black - EVGA Supernova 1000g+ - Lian Li Unifan x6 - LG 38GL950G - Acer Predator X27 4k 144hz

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What components are you using, and why are you specifically looking to get a 4x8GB kit instead of 2x16GB?

Hi Mateyyy,

MSI B460 Tomahawk + i5 10600K

I want 4 sticks purely for the looks. I'm only playing the odd game so I'm not too concerned about fine tuning the performance side of things - I just wanted to know if it would be better to by 2x dual channel or 1x quad channel. 

Cheers,

Matt - UK

4 minutes ago, Neptune-1 said:

Hi Mateyyy,

I want 4 sticks purely for the looks. I'm only playing the odd game so I'm not too concerned about fine tuning the performance side of things - I just wanted to know if it would be better to by 2x dual channel or 1x quad channel. 

Cheers,

Matt - UK

4 sticks of single rank ram is identical to 2 sticks of dual rank ram

Provided you want 4 sticks, you'll have the optimum setup, do not go 2 sticks of single rank ram.

5800X - EVGA CLC 360 - MSI MEG X570 Unify - TForce Xtreem Argb 32gb [16x2] 3600Mhz CL14 - Colorful iGame 3090 Advanced OC 24gb - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black - EVGA Supernova 1000g+ - Lian Li Unifan x6 - LG 38GL950G - Acer Predator X27 4k 144hz

25 minutes ago, Neptune-1 said:

Hi Mateyyy,

Cheers,

Matt - UK

Getting two separate 2-stick kits will most likely be less expensive, so it might not be worth going for a 4-stick kit.

Technically two different kits aren't guaranteed to work together, but the chances of that happening are very slim (especially because of the board you're running - see below).

Also, it might not be worth going crazy with the XMP speeds/timings, since you'll be limited to JEDEC 2666MHz on a B460 board with your i5.

3000/3200MHz kits tend go for cheap nowadays, so that's probaby what I'd be looking at getting.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

If not overclocking the RAM then all you really need is 4 sticks with the same speed and timings, ideally the same make and part number. Dual channel or Quad channel kits have been tested together and certified to work as a set, in theory providing more reliable performance which you have you pay more for.

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Getting two separate 2-stick kits will most likely be less expensive, so it might not be worth going for a 4-stick kit.

Technically two different kits aren't guaranteed to work together, but the chances of that happening are very slim.

Also, it might not be worth going crazy with the XMP speeds/timings, since you'll be limited to JEDEC 2666MHz on a B460 board with your i5.

3000/3200MHz kits tend go for cheap nowadays, so that's probaby what I'd be looking at getting.

So, 2x dual channel kits may be cheaper (but there's a very very small chance they're not compatible

1x quad channel kit may be more expensive but are guaranteed to work together.

Just about frequency!!! I take it the 3000/3200 is the rating at which the RAM could run - but this is dependant on other components - such as the CPU and Motherboard. So it would be better to go with 3000/3200 because they might be cheaper - and then adjust XMP to take them from 2133 default to 2666?

Cheers

Just now, Neptune-1 said:

Just about frequency!!! I take it the 3000/3200 is the rating at which the RAM could run - but this is dependant on other components - such as the CPU and Motherboard. So it would be better to go with 3000/3200 because they might be cheaper - and then adjust XMP to take them from 2133 default to 2666?

Once you enable XMP, it should automatically drop down to 2666MHz from its rated speed.