HDR issues on a Asus ROG Swift PG329Q (Update)

Skip_Franken

Hello all I recently upgraded to a Asus ROG Swift PG329Q that is DisplayHDR 600 certified. With HDR enabled in Windows 10 display settings I am running into an issue where after 20 - 30 minutes of web browsing and youtube watching the display will turn down in brightness. It will happen again in stages getting darker and darker. At which point I go into display setting and switch HDR on and off again. I have a second monitor and disabled it to see if it fixes it and the problem persists. I have done some googling and haven't found a similar situation. So at this point I am worried this is a problem with the new monitor and not a software issue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

/Update

According to Drakonomikon (thanks BTW) who spoke to Asus customer support, there will be a firmware update in the future that may fix the HDR problem. But that is some shaky info from customer support. So if you own this monitor contact Asus, let them know of the problem and that you are an unhappy customer. The more people calling the faster this thing will get fixed.

I had a tv that would auto dim the brightness  randomly. It was caused by a power saving feture in the settings menu. It wont hurt to Try messing around with the monitor settings, hope this helps. 

Thanks, I looked for a power saving option in the menu and found none. I'm still at a loss. 

Hello, i have your same monitor (GREAT GREAT GREAT MONITOR) and i have the same your problem randomly

when it happens, i just open the osd and switch the hdr gaming to hdr cinema, and back to hdr gaming

in this way it is less frustating, but hoping for a fix

I have a 3080 asus rog strix too

16 hours ago, Meatball80 said:

Hello, i have your same monitor (GREAT GREAT GREAT MONITOR) and i have the same your problem randomly

when it happens, i just open the osd and switch the hdr gaming to hdr cinema, and back to hdr gaming

in this way it is less frustating, but hoping for a fix

I have a 3080 asus rog strix too

Thanks for the response. I'm just happy to hear it's not just me. So if an other user is having the issue, odds are it's Windows causing the problem. 

13 hours ago, Skip_Franken said:

Thanks for the response. I'm just happy to hear it's not just me. So if an other user is having the issue, odds are it's Windows causing the problem. 

mmmm, i think that is the ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) Technology , that maybe is enabled by default in sRGB mode

i will try to use the user mode in color osd, and i will see if the auto dimming in hdr still happens

i come back here for some news

Are you always on sRGB mode too?

NVM it happens again also in user mode :(

Greeting from Germany. I've the same problem with my PG329Q. If I'm running it in sRGB mode with HDR on, it turns down the brightness step by step. ASUS hotline said that I should do a RMA request. But from my point of view, either the firmware has a bug or this behaviour is intended. So a RMA won't help.

Could you confirm that ASCR is the reason? Did this behaviour stop if you run it in a different mode than sRGB but with HDR on?

Seems to happens also with user mode and hdr on

It happens in random way, i can't understand what is the trigger

I am afraid that this could be a self-protecting mechanism against overheating. Many other displays are using fans to cool the device. This one has no fan. But I'm only guessing. I do not know the reason.

13 minutes ago, Drakonomikon said:

I am afraid that this could be a self-protecting mechanism against overheating. Many other displays are using fans to cool the device. This one has no fan. But I'm only guessing. I do not know the reason.

I contacted Asus customer support and they told me to return it to the vendor I bought it from. The second display is doing the same thing. 

14 minutes ago, Drakonomikon said:

But I figure overheating doesn't make sense because as soon as you switch hdr on and off again the display goes back to normal high brightness. Then the cycle repeats in about 20 to 40 minutes. 

28 minutes ago, Skip_Franken said:

I contacted Asus customer support and they told me to return it to the vendor I bought it from. The second display is doing the same thing. 

I think all PG329Q doing the same, so what can we do at this point?

I use it with a 3080 and geforce experience too, i use always hdr gaming

Do you try hdr cinematic?

43 minutes ago, Skip_Franken said:

But I figure overheating doesn't make sense because as soon as you switch hdr on and off again the display goes back to normal high brightness. Then the cycle repeats in about 20 to 40 minutes. 

Yes, same here. But everytime when software is involved, hardware behaves often unexpected. I'm working as hardware engineer for embedded systems, and thousand reasons come to my mind if I think about embedded software (firmware). I'll try to make pressure on Asus Support. I'll inform you if I know more.

27 minutes ago, Drakonomikon said:

Yes, same here. But everytime when software is involved, hardware behaves often unexpected. I'm working as hardware engineer for embedded systems, and thousand reasons come to my mind if I think about embedded software (firmware). I'll try to make pressure on Asus Support. I'll inform you if I know more.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us in the loop, good luck with customer service. 

1 hour ago, Meatball80 said:

I think all PG329Q doing the same, so what can we do at this point?

I use it with a 3080 and geforce experience too, i use always hdr gaming

Do you try hdr cinematic?

I have a 3080 also. But my guess is given the fact that there can only be a couple of thousand of these in the wild, you guys are having the same problem. And the second monitor I received is doing the same thing it has to be an Asus Q/A fuck up. I don't know about you other guys in the thread but I'm not a happy camper. That a premium monitor like this having this issue. I mean this is not some rare use case, it's hdr mode on while web browsing. 

13 minutes ago, Skip_Franken said:

I have a 3080 also. But my guess is given the fact that there can only be a couple of thousand of these in the wild. And the second monitor I received is doing the same thing it has to be an Asus Q/A fuck up. I don't know about you other guys in the thread but I'm not a happy camper. That a premium monitor like this having this issue. I mean this is not some rare use case, it's hdr mode on while web browsing. 

yeah, you're right

this is unacceptable, hoping that asus take care of this issue

I have the same issue. Just received my monitor today. I run Win 10 and have a 2060 Super. Has anyone had success in getting this issue to disappear by disabling HDR completely?

11 minutes ago, aquanda said:

I have the same issue. Just received my monitor today. I run Win 10 and have a 2060 Super. Has anyone had success in getting this issue to disappear by disabling HDR completely?

So far this is a problem when HDR is enabled. 

Asus Support said that Asus is currently working on a new firmware. Customers will be able to flash the firmware at home. However, the support didn't confirmed that the new firmware will fix this issue, but I hope so. When the new firmware comes is unknown.

to me they say that a firmware can't help on this problem, and it is better to start an RMA

i say not to RMA cause i like this monitor, and if happens every 20 min 30 min, for now it don't stress me

i think that the RMA not solve the problem, i think that all the pg329q have this

2 hours ago, Drakonomikon said:

Asus Support said that Asus is currently working on a new firmware. Customers will be able to flash the firmware at home. However, the support didn't confirmed that the new firmware will fix this issue, but I hope so. When the new firmware comes is unknown.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Well a possible fix is better than nothing. Given the rate this is happening Asus has to be aware of the issue. 

59 minutes ago, Meatball80 said:

to me they say that a firmware can't help on this problem, and it is better to start an RMA

i say not to RMA cause i like this monitor, and if happens every 20 min 30 min, for now it don't stress me

i think that the RMA not solve the problem, i think that all the pg329q have this

I wouldn't RMA. My second  replacement monitor does the same thing. 

I was planning to get two of these beauties for my upcoming build as it‘s the perfect monitor for me as of right now. 

If it‘s not too much of a hassle for you guys I‘d really appreciate if you could keep this thread alive and let us know if there‘s any news ❤️

On 11/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, ShinRamen said:

I was planning to get two of these beauties for my upcoming build as it‘s the perfect monitor for me as of right now. 

If it‘s not too much of a hassle for you guys I‘d really appreciate if you could keep this thread alive and let us know if there‘s any news ❤️

Sure but I feel like an update might take awhile.