HDR issues on a Asus ROG Swift PG329Q (Update)

Skip_Franken

Same issue and I received two units as well. Contacted ASUS support, they suggested to RMA and I just asked for a replacement since It is still within 30 days from purchase.

If anyone has news on a fix, please share here. Thank you so much! If I manage to find a fix first, I will be sure to share it.

I normally wouldn't buy a premiering product but this monitor is quite outstanding for its price. In fact, it absolutely rocks if not for this issue with HDR.

Just some thoughts on why this is happening:

1. clearly it is not a backlight issue since I haven't experienced any abnormality outside HDR

2. wondering if this is a windows problem. Has anyone tried this monitor with consoles or other platforms/OS that support HDR?

3. might this be because they only have display port 1.2 support?

4. Has anyone who is skilled enough tried to parse the HDR10 metadata and seen what kind of foolery was going on when the dimming happened?

Wouldn't buy premiering products again, was going for a PG27UQ if they weren't sold out everywhere :(

My unit turn down brightness occasionally but also have other issues. My unit also flicker occasionally when Gsync is turned on. Third issue is Display Widget doesn't work showing "Monitor is not supported". Asus ... really?! I don't want give up on this monitor, it has great spec and image quality. Anyone has similar issues except brightness issue? 

17 minutes ago, ViperEx76 said:

My unit turn down brightness occasionally but also have other issues. My unit also flicker occasionally when Gsync is turned on. Third issue is Display Widget doesn't work showing "Monitor is not supported". Asus ... really?! I don't want give up on this monitor, it has great spec and image quality. Anyone has similar issues except brightness issue? 

My unit only flickers when I set wonky refresh rate such as 69Hz😉. Otherwise, I have not experienced any flickering. My display widget works perfectly. I think you might actually need to RMA your unit.

1 hour ago, ViperEx76 said:

I was getting occasional flickering until I turned off dynamic dimming. It seems to have gone away, for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, sadly it did not help.

I've just installed the ASUS drivers for this monitor. I didn't even know they exsist until the support told me. There is no setup, so you have to use the device manager. Of course, I can't tell for sure, but since I've installed them it didn't happen again.

https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg329q-model/helpdesk_download/

I asked the support if there is something new. But no progress. No new firmware. Instead the support recommends to contact RMA department. I'll try that, but I'll not send back my monitor.

I got answer! ASUS told me, that this behaviour is intended for "ASUS Cinema HDR" mode. They said one should choose either "ASUS Gaming HDR" or "Console Mode" mode.

10 hours ago, Drakonomikon said:

I got answer! ASUS told me, that this behaviour is intended for "ASUS Cinema HDR" mode. They said one should choose either "ASUS Gaming HDR" or "Console Mode" mode.

Tried console mode, still having problems. 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:40 AM, aquanda said:

I was getting occasional flickering until I turned off dynamic dimming. It seems to have gone away, for now.

My Pg329q have the same issues but only when i start up some games like Warzone.

HDR without dynamic dimming kinda sucks

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for my english, disable service called "SensrSvc" can help, i will try it now, some problem and 2 green pixels too.

Edit: Today no issues, i have hope.

Better but isn't a fix.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:37 AM, worldrings said:

Sorry for my english, disable service called "SensrSvc" can help, i will try it now, some problem and 2 green pixels too.

Edit: Today no issues, i have hope.

Did it fix the issue for you?

3 hours ago, WickedWalter said:

Did it fix the issue for you?

Better, but still not fix, in some days no problem, in others... a headache....

• 2 weeks later...

So would any of yall recommend this monitor currently? I was looking into buying some, but starting to feel iffy.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, marcexeu said:

Hi guys any news? i have the same issue, firmware v30.. 

Another thing, i have gsync activated but on some games while playing at 70..85fps i can see screen tearing.. Dos this gsync compactible works on witch framerate limit?

Interesting I'm on firmware v29. Did they fix the product name in the OSD in v30? It says "ROG Strix" instead of "ROG Swift" for me. Sadly it's not possible to download and update the firmware afaik. Hopefully there will be a firmware update in the future fixing the HDR issue.

But regarding the gsync: when you open the OSD while playing you should see the current FPS in the upper right corner constantly updating. If not then gsync is not enabled and you have to enable it in the nvidia system settings (the screen gets black for a moment when it's actually turned on).

I have the same problem. How can I update the software on the monitor? I have version V028

Nothing new regarding this bug. But I have a new bug. Suddenly, I have flickering in 3D applications, if Adaptive-Sync is on. I have firmware version V028..

Hi guys, I was considering purchasing this monitor for my build as it appeared to be a great 32inch IPS monitor for 1440p...however reading some of these issues I’m kind of being put off and was wondering if this issue still present?

I have no interest in using the HDR tbh, as the reviews insisted the image quality without it is just as good.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:20 AM, DaveGunner said:

Hi guys, I was considering purchasing this monitor for my build as it appeared to be a great 32inch IPS monitor for 1440p...however reading some of these issues I’m kind of being put off and was wondering if this issue still present?

I have no interest in using the HDR tbh, as the reviews insisted the image quality without it is just as good.

If you don't care about HDR you can savely buy this monitor. I do care about HDR and still kept it, because otherwise it's just awesome. Images and video games look astonishing vibrant and brilliant. The 175hz make everything look super smooth.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:47 AM, WickedWalter said:

If you don't care about HDR you can savely buy this monitor. I do care about HDR and still kept it, because otherwise it's just awesome. Images and video games look astonishing vibrant and brilliant. The 175hz make everything look super smooth.

Have they still not patched the HDR yet? Or even given a statement?

I mean the one thing that put me off from Hardware Unboxed’s review on YouTube was how they said the colour calibration was bad and recalibration wasn’t easy 

So far there is no update. We are still waiting.

i also have the same issue with my PG329Q since i bought it.

I contacted Asus suport several times back and forth.

frist they recommended doing a factory reset of the monitor, problem remains.

Now they are having me fill in a form (attached) and will run it by the head office.

my monitor often reverts back from RGB mode to racing mode by itself too.

to date, no fix, wether it be with or without hdr turned on or rgb mode, user, it doesn't make a difference, after about 40min brightness turns down about 25%

Display Product Feedback Form V8_20170417.xlsx

• 3 weeks later...

Tried 2 of these last October and both had a different local dimming issue. Going above around 140FPS caused the local dimming to flicker hard. It only happened with G-Sync enabled. I can upload some videos if anyone's interested (if I can find them).

Then there was another issue. Disabling "sniper mode" (and sometimes the timer) with G-Sync enabled made the monitor go haywire with artifacts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have solid solution but for me helped disabling referenced colors/brightness and setting them 65%/85%. Enabling g-sync only on full screen and disabling local dimming. Running setting for a few hours now tho. Will give a feedback in a few days.

Update after 6 hours, it still happens but not to the same point, so brightening up little too much makes it drop by the same %? or value? Idk. But it feels much better and it is some workaround. Especially with high contrast.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received my monitor. (Im from Russia)
Playing for about 2 hours in War Thunder with HDR everything was great, but then the brightness suddenly dropped by 2 times.
 Firmware version v031 from the box.

"Rog Strix" is displayed in the monitor settings instead of "Rog Swift" 
So it goes. Dynamic dimming seems to me to be buggy because it flickers sometimes, especially in dark games.

I have videocard Asus RTX3070 OC Dual with last drivers and Win10 with last update. 

jfSluqV.jpg

My monitor has started to drop in brightnes even without HDR turned on! It's officially trash now!