RAM support for 4 dimm slots of Crucial Ballistix in x570 MSI Tomahawk WIFI

ExTeR

Hello!

I have a MSI x570 tomahawk wifi with 2 ram sticks of Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R 3600 MHz.

Do you know if I can add 2 more ram sticks in the motherboard to make it 64 GB of RAM?

I'm asking because on the compatibility list of the motherboard this model has a column where only DIMM 1 | 2 is checked, not DIMM 1 | 2 | 4, which seems wierd to me. Some one knows about it? My cpu is a 5900x.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-19

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, ExTeR said:

I'm asking because on the compatibility list of the motherboard this model has a column where only DIMM 1 | 2 is checked, not DIMM 1 | 2 | 4, which seems wierd to me.

It's most likely because the memory you were looking at is only sold as single or dual stick kits, or maybe they just didn't test it so they can't confirm whether it works or not in a 4 dimm configuration.

Also, do you really need 64GB of ram? Because if you fill all 4 slots, you kind of lose the benefits of dual channel memory.

You should be completely fine adding 2 extra sticks.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's most likely because the memory you were looking at is only sold as single or dual stick kits, or maybe they just didn't test it so they can't confirm whether it works or not in a 4 dimm configuration.

Also, do you really need 64GB of ram? Because if you fill all 4 slots, you kind of lose the benefits of dual channel memory.

No, i don't need it at the moment, it's just in case I want to upgrade in the future !

Do you really lose the benefits of dual channel memory with 4 dimms??

5 minutes ago, ExTeR said:

Do you really lose the benefits of dual channel memory with 4 dimms??

No.

9 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You don't lose dual channel, the AM4 CPUs only supports dual channel.

Using all four memory slots is slightly faster, you may run into issues. To be honest, if you have no reason to upgrade to more memory, then I wouldn't bother.

The geek himself.

Also make sure you're memory goes into DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, Not A1 and A2 or B1 and B2

Capture.PNG.0553f6ca12867a84d801feb5fc5b8286.PNG

The geek himself.